Best Hotel for Universal

Universaltrip2018

Earning My Ears
I have never been to universal, just Disney, and I am planning a trip for the beginning of March. What are your favorite and also least favorite hotels. I understand that there are 2(?) hotels where you get an express pass. Is the pass worth it? I want something that is at least in walking distance or offers shuttle but it doesn’t have to be an on site hotel.
I do not think I can afford the ones with the express pass.
Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
March is a very busy month for Orlando. I would recommend staying at a hotel with Express Passes. The cheapest is the Royal Pacific Resort.

There are three hotels where you will receive the Unlimited Express Pass - Royal Pacific Resort, Hard Rock Hotel and Portofino Bay Resort. The pass is absolutely worth it, particularly during busy periods like March. However, if you are a solo traveler, for instance, it could be cheaper to stay at Cabana Bay Beach Resort and pay for the EP out of pocket.

All of the onsite hotels are technically within walking distance (some further than others) on very nice paths but there is also a secondary transportation method - PBR, HRH, RPR and Sapphire Falls Resort all have boat access; CBBR has bus access.

There are also a couple of "good neighbor" hotels just off Universal property that are also still within walking distance - a DoubleTree and Holiday Inn, in particular.

Staying on-site at Universal is fun. Like the WDW bubble, everything is easier. The Uni transportation is quick and reliable, and everything is close enough to walk if you want/need to. And I find that it does not come at as high a premium as the WDW hotels.

Read the stickies for the three deluxe resorts, HRH, RPR and PBR. Ask more questions if have them. Cheers.

Hi I have done a little bit of everything for lodging with Universal. We stayed at the Double Tree Inn outside of the entrance to Universal and it was about a 20 minute walk there is no shuttle. It was reasonable and nice. I wouldn't do it again. I have stayed on-site at Cabana Bay for a week where there is no Express Pass but Early Entry. I really enjoy this resort. If you think you can't swing EP but want EE and transportation to the parks it is an affordable and nice property. However, I did stay at RPR on the same trip (as Cabana Bay) to get the EP for two days. I found it was cheaper and fun to do. I have stayed at Hard Rock and Portofino both are more money and probably not an option for you. We enjoyed the HRH very much.

I agree March can be busy and if you can swing Royal Pacific for the EP I would do it. It is a very nice resort. If not look into Cabana Bay, if you are going for a week look into maybe doing RPR one night for the EP two days. You don't have to physically move your stuff. You can get your room and use it as a break room for the day and night. We did this and it worked nice. If you don't want to do any hotel with EP I think Cabana Bay is a good choice. The bus transportation is very good from there.

Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!