Best non Disney hotel

aaronamy

DVC members since 2002
What is the best resort to stay at if you are staying off property with kids and would like to be close to the world?

SO MANY OPTIONS from discount hotels to deluxe to suites to condos to houses. It really depends on what type of "lodging" you want, your price range and if you will have a car.

Four Seasons my a significant margin. We have always found rooms within $100 (often less than that) of Disney deluxe resorts on the same day(s), so it's definitely not a cheap stay but the amenities and services are head, shoulders, knees, and toes above every Disney hotel we've stayed in.

We really liked the below hotels.
Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. Nice room and great pool area and grounds,
Gaylord Palms. Very fun atmosphere with all the atriums and pools
Hilton Bonnet Creek. Nice room with a great view and a fun pool.

Always depends on the budget.

Disney Springs hotels are a nice option. Offers some benefits (EMH and 60 days FP+).

All of them have resort fees, so make sure u take that into consideration for your budget.

We really like Sheraton vistana... a little for everyone.
Great prices for really nice rooms,
Multiple pools for diffrent needs ( slide, kids, adult)
Every night they have events for the families.

Agree with @HopperFan - "best" is really subjective and driven by what you are looking for.

Do you care about EMH or 60-day FP? If yes, then "best" is probably in DS, Bonnet Creek Hilton/Waldorf Astoria, or Four seasons.

Will you be relying on hotel shuttles to reach the parks? If so, then the above are probably your best bets, too.

Do you want to spread out in a condo-type resort setting? If yes, then Wyndham Bonnet Creek and Sheraton Vistana have well-deserved reputations for being close with good amenities.

Do you want a more residential feel with a private pool? Windsor Hills gets a lot of love for people who want more of a home than time-share setting.

Are you on a strict budget? There are some cheap hotels in the area that are clean and reliable, though relatively no-frills. I like Galleria Palms for this category.

Anyone try one of these top choices who has also stayed at a Disney deluxe? Wondering about the value of the experience.

Anyone try one of these top choices who has also stayed at a Disney deluxe? Wondering about the value of the experience.

Maybe @epcotobsessed will come and weigh in. I know she has done quite a few deluxe stays, but she always brings up the Four Seasons as superior in terms of overall quality of resort. I believe she still stays at monorail and crescent lake resorts for proximity to parks, though.

@HopperFan has stayed pretty much everywhere, on site and off, at every level.

Yup, we have stayed in most Disney Deluxes, still find the Four Seasons superior in terms of room size and quality (bathroom in particular - this is where there is truly no contest, the FS bathrooms are like their own separate room, with a large closet/changing area as well), pools (FS has several different pools, including an adults only pool, and poolside food and beverage service), amenities like free childcare during daytime hours for kids under 12 (not so useful if you're spending every day at the parks, but if you have a resort day or even half day, it can be a fun option for everyone), excellent gym, spa facilities (free for all guests regardless of whether you book a treatment), and I think the food and beverage offerings are all very good to excellent. As my name suggests, we do miss being able to walk to Epcot while we are there, which is why we often do a split stay with BC or YC, though FS does provide regular transportation to all parks and the ride is not that long.

Thanks for your thoughts! The Four Seasons looks fantastic, although pricing is a big step above the Disney Deluxe at least for the dates I'm looking at (December).

Ah yes, they probably don't discount in December. We usually go in March or June/July. I think it's a subjective consideration, at what point the FS is NOT worth it vs. a Disney Deluxe. For us, up to a $150/night difference is certainly worth it. $200 is iffy, more than $250 means we would just stay at a Disney Deluxe. This is another reason why a split stay is great - even two nights at the FS is a nice treat and that helps reduce the cost differential.

Anyone with comparable experience of the Swan & Dolphin? I see the pricing is similar to Disney moderate.

If you're willing to do 30 day FPs, we LOVED Wyndham Bonnet Creek. (timeshares, not the hotel). Under $1k for a week at in 2 bedroom, full kitchen, laundry. Even after rental car + parking, we come out way on top on $. Awesome pools, located inside disney gates.

Four Seasons is the best but few spend that kind of money on a standard room. Its comparable in price to a monorail resort. So do you want to pay for the excellent service and amenities the Four Season is known for or do you want to wake up staring at the Castle?

After that we love Hilton Bonnet Creek with kids, or its sister hotel the Waldorf next door when travelling without kids. Both can usually be found at really great prices too. We like ZERO of the Disney Springs resorts.

I have stayed at the Hyatt Grand Cypress and the grounds are great and it can be found for a great price, but I found how far it is away irritating and the food options were lacking as well. A rental car is a must if staying there.

Last edited:
Anyone with comparable experience of the Swan & Dolphin? I see the pricing is similar to Disney moderate.

They are great for the location. Make sure you look at resort fees when comparing rates which can make boardwalk, yacht and beach club more attractive.

Magic band is not included but you get all other onsite perks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter