Best Route from Toronto

Mortlives

DIS Veteran
Hi, All.

Sorry if this has been covered to death, but the search is disabled. For those who drive from Toronto: What is your best route to WDW? Where do you stop? How long does it take?

TIA,
Mort.

We always drive I-75. It usually takes 24-25 hours depending on road construction and traffic. I am a huge fan of the book "Along I-75" by Dave Hunter. It is available at CAA, Chapters and on the internet. The book (updated annually) lists every exit with details about restaurants, gas, and accommodations. We usually stop somewhere around Knoxville, Tennessee the first night going down. Coming back we usually stay around Corbin, Kentucky.

Another great route is to cross at either Lewiston or Niagara Falls & take I90/I79/19/I77/I26/I95...it's just beautiful going through the mountains & there's very little truck traffic (too hilly for them which is great :)) It takes us about 23-24 hours.

The half-way point is around Beckley WV, but we always drive father the 1st day while we're feeling "refreshed" so we usually plan to stop in either Statesville, NC, Rock Hill, SC. or Orangeburg, SC (we stay at Hampton Inns).

I have driven the I-75 route many times. The last time was 2 weeks ago.

It takes me 20-22 hours. We leave Waterloo at 6 am with lunch and snacks packed so we don't have to stop as much.

We reach Dalton Georgia at about 7:30-8:00 pm where we stop for the night.

On day 2 we leave at 7:30 and arrive at WDW at 3:30 to 4:30 pm.

On the return trip we stop over in Corbin Kentucky.

I also highly recommend Dave Hunters book - it makes the trip much easier and seems to make it go faster.

My brother has driven the I-90 route through Buffalo and he didn't like it as much as I-75. He said it was not as direct and the highways were not as good and he felt it took longer.

We always cross at Fort Erie and then head over to I-75. This trip usually takes about 23-24 hours. This time we crossed at fort Erie but took I-95 and it took us 21 hours. The I-95 route was far more scenic. It all depends on what time of year. I would never attempt the mountains in the winter, but now I am hooked on I-95 if it is spring or summer.

You're right hockey mom...I forgot to mention that the route I gave above is mountainous & should not be taken in the winter. But for any other time of year, it's beautiful (and has less traffic). I find the I95/I81 route way too busy.

For all your great responses. A further question:
for those who overnight in Corbin, Kentucky coming back... What time do you leave WDW, and what time do you arrive in Corbin?

TIA,
Mort.

We usually make that day a 13 hour drive. We usually leave WDW as early as we can. The last time it was 7:30 am as I had to go to the checkout desk to review some things with the cm's. The worst part of the drive back to Toronto is when you cross the border at Windsor and have to drive for 4-5 hours. The last time we went we took advantage of the 407 ETR as it is relatively close to our house. I don't know how much time we saved but the stress factor was much lower.

We have always taken the I 75 route and I agree with everyone about the book along the I 75 it is invaluable lots of great info and tips etc. We leave at around 7 PM so the kids sleep all night in the car we stop at the Georgia welcome centre for breakfast. We then stop at the Macon rest stop for lunch and then in Valdosta for the night. We make it to Valdosta about 3 in the afternoon so it is a nice relaxing evening we can unwind from the drive and have a bit of dinner sitting in the room. We leave Valdosta around 8 or 9 and stop at the Florida welcome centre for the free OJ and we usually pull into WDW around 12 noon it makes for a great day then you just check in and go for a swim and pick up a few groceries etc or go to Downtown Disney.

We have always taken the I-75 route and I think it's because of Dave Hunter's book which we love.

We usually leave Friday afternoon -- time depends on when I can get away from work and drive to somewhere in Ohio where we stop for the night. We then drive Saturday until somewhere in Georgia, usually south of Atlanta. On Sunday we usually leave around 8am and get into Orlando around 2pm. We hit the Belz Character Outlet before checking into our hotel, usually around 4pm or so.

We usually only stop once on the way home somewhere in Tenn.

Our stops vary a bit depending on time we leave Friday and the weather. The last drive down in September we were slowed a little bit by rain most of Saturday so didn't get as far as we wanted by Saturday night but still arrived well rested on Sunday afternoon.

On the way back we left WDW at about 6:40 am and reached Corbin Kentucky at about 7:30 pm.

The next day we left at about 7:00 am and got home to Waterloo at about 4:30 pm.

One other thing - On the way back we usually leave on a Sunday. This makes for much less traffic through the mountains and a faster trip back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter