Best run for first timer?

4Hawks

"Be a goldfish" - Ted Lasso
I'm planning to run my first race next year. I haven't run in years and have never done anything longer than a 5K. I'm hoping to run a 10K or half this time.

In terms of crowds (before, during, and after race), weather, and difficulty...which race would you say is the best choice for a newbie?

Do races sell out? How far in advance should I register?

Thanks!

I'm planning to run my first race next year. I haven't run in years and have never done anything longer than a 5K. I'm hoping to run a 10K or half this time.

In terms of crowds (before, during, and after race), weather, and difficulty...which race would you say is the best choice for a newbie?

Do races sell out? How far in advance should I register?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, there’s not one single answer to all your questions. I’ll go ahead and say up front that the best race weekend for you is the theme that you find most appealing. Here are my best answers to your specific questions:

Crowd levels (lowest to highest):
Princess (PR) < Wine & Dine (W&D) < Star Wars (SWj. Marathon Weekend (MW) is a wild card and could pretty much fall anywhere in there depending on its proximity to New Year’s

Weather (coolest to warmest):
Can vary wildly, but in general. MW < PR < W&D = SW

Course difficulty:
There’s no appreciable difference in course difficulty between the weekends. Especially as some weekends use the same courses as each other.

Best overall choice for a newbie:
The theme that you like best.

Do races sell out/how far in advance to register:
Some do, some don’t. It can vary from year to year. The best bet is always to register as early as possible, preferably on the opening day of registration to ensure that you get the races that you want.

Good luck. There really are no wrong choices. Hope this helps!

Personally, I love the half-marathons at DisneyWorld. I've run seven of them at WDW. Six have been the Marathon Weekend route (Epcot to MK and back) and one has been the 2018 Dark Side Half (Start in TTC and run to AK, HS, Boardwalk Resorts, and then Epcot).

That 2018 Star Wars route is AWESOME!!!! Don't get me wrong - the magic of running down Main Street and then through the castle and all of Magic Kingdom never gets old!! Between the Half and Full races I've run, it's been 13 times...and just as magical as the first time but I really thought that Star Wars half in 2018 was a BLAST! With all the parks and the Ewok/Endor laser battle at the beginning, there was never a dull moment!

It used to be that the half sold out quickly...especially the Marathon weekend. Now, it's a little more time (if at all). The Star Wars is currently still available for April (I just checked!).

I hope that helps!!!

My first was the Disney Princess Half. What a wonderful experience! I would recommend that one to anyone wanting to become addicted to this endeavor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter