Best sights in Tokyo?

cgattis

DIS Veteran
If you had one full day, and a couple of partial days (maybe a morning, maybe and evening or two), what would be your recommendations on sights to see (early April) in Tokyo? My only musts so far are some good pics of Mt. Fuji and some cherry blossoms, so I'm pretty easy to please!! The full day could also be a day trip outside the city. Thanks for any tips!!!

Your best chance to see Mt Fuji from Tokyo would be to go up Tokyo Tower or Tokyo SkyTree. If you're a history buff, the Tokyo-Edo museum is nice. The Meiji Shrine is usually a must see, and the gardens of the imperial palace, and the Asakusa temple. Which shopping district you'd want to visit depends a bit on what most interests you.

I was thinking some sort of day trip to get a better look at Mt. Fuji...?

I had the imperial gardens on my list for sure. I do like the idea of a good museum. I'm wondering what sorts of things I can do in the evenings, since I'm not sure how much day touring time I will have, but I know I'll have three evenings. I'd definitely like to do one of the towers at night. I assume some shopping places would be open then also. Any other (g-rated haha) things that would still be open in the evenings? Would a bay cruise at night be fun or would you not see much?

I appreciate all info here as I know very few folks who've been! Thanks!!

So, you have one full day and some partial days?

A trip to Mt Fuji would pretty much take your one free "full day". BUT, be warned - Mt Fuji is very shy and you may not see it. I think it's "hidden" more often than not so you may make the trek out to see it and end up disappointed. It's still a lovely day trip, as there are some nice areas in the Fuji Five Lakes vicinity, but it can be very difficult to *see* Mt Fuji in all of its glory.

Similarly, whether or not you'll see cherry blossoms really depends on the weather and luck. IF you happen to be there during the cherry blossoms, then Shinjuku Gyoen was really nice. Meguro River was also really nice, but extremely crowded. EXTREMELY!

Ueno Park had already blossomed and mostly fallen by the time we got there. And there was too much cement for my liking. I think we also visited the Imperial Palace moat, but we'd also missed peak blossoming time there.

You may need to keep some built-in flexibility to catch a bullet train north or south to view the cherry blossoms (if they're not in bloom in Tokyo when you're there).

Other than those aspects, the Studio Ghibli museum is really cool if that interests you (and if you're happy to book ahead). The aforementioned Tokyo-Edu museum, Asakusa / Sensoji temple, Tokyo Sky Tree, etc are all good. Odaiba can be fun. Harajuku can be fun for people watching and the nearby park is nice. Akihabara is also fun for a visit. I didn't rate Ginza too highly, but your mileage may vary.

Shibuya is fun at night. The crosswalk in front of the train station is famous for how many people cross at a time, and the best Disney Store in Tokyo is there.

Shibuya is fun at night. The crosswalk in front of the train station is famous for how many people cross at a time, and the best Disney Store in Tokyo is there.
Yes, that's already on my list, after seeing it in another post here! And one of my coworkers said there's s huge Starbucks right there too, so I can add to my mug collection :) Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!