Best source of info for preparing for deployment?

Silent1CB

DIS Veteran
DH just assigned to new unit for deployment. Further from home. We aren't near a base, and if there is a family support group I haven't learned of it yet. So I'm trying to prepare on my own so far. Just googling & reading articles.

Is there 1 really nice place I can get my hands on the most info? Does the unit normally have a meeting for families? How many months prior does something like that happen?

I don't have any military wives around me. There are times I just feel a little alone in my thoughts & don't want to bombard any friends so early with constant deployment talk.

DH just assigned to new unit for deployment. Further from home. We aren't near a base, and if there is a family support group I haven't learned of it yet. So I'm trying to prepare on my own so far. Just googling & reading articles.

Is there 1 really nice place I can get my hands on the most info? Does the unit normally have a meeting for families? How many months prior does something like that happen?

I don't have any military wives around me. There are times I just feel a little alone in my thoughts & don't want to bombard any friends so early with constant deployment talk.

Is your DH guard? If so they should have a FRG (family readiness group) Have him ask about it at the next drill. The women in that group have been an amazing resource for me (first time through deployment) and it is great to have friends going through the same thing.

ETA: Military One source is great for families that don't have a base near them. We are in Maine, so no big bases around here really! MOS has great info on preparing families for deployment!

I'm not sure what information you are looking for.

Because National Guard units are so spread out with members everywhere, you may not have a centralized FRG. Instead, you may have more of a virutal FRG once things really get going.

I'd be happy to answer questions or point you towards resources for your questions. I know that Julia(jsmith) knows the ins and outs of everything Guard and can be a great resource as well.

Here are a few websites:

www.myarmyonesource.com
www.jointservicessupport.org/fp
www.resilience.army.mil

I know you want to read everything and try to be ready as possible but I just don't know what all you can be prepared for to be honest. Sometimes I think it's just a feel your way through the situation with a good base of preparedness with the necessary paperwork. I know that the first deployment is that hardest because of all the unknown but you can get through it.

We will be around and happy to answer all your questions and give you some support.

Actually the best information you are going to get is going to be right here-you won't find anyone anywhere with more ability to answer your questions than myself and Tina. military.com has a spouse community-but i am their reserve moderator and much of the information the retired and active spouses give is quite frankly inaccurate.
My sisters princess is blessed if she has a good FRG-they are totally volunteer and sometimes they are great-and sometimes they are useless.
And like Tina said-you really just kind of have to go with it-your never going to be really ready-you learn to adapt and over come as things come at you. I just finished my third one-easier in someways-harder in others-mostly because my kids are grown and gone so i was alone.
You can get prepared legally and financially-emotionally its going to be one day at a time.

About 15-20 yrs ago, he was very close (weeks) to deployment, and they sent home a workbook of checklists. Stuff like that. At the time, I remember notifiying lenders, blah blah blah, but then deployment was cancelled & he didn't go.

I imagine if the military still has anything like that, that its online these days. That's what I'm looking for. Not just lists that private people have decided to post.

Today its just on my mind a lot even though I have other more immediate things I really should be working on.

Yes, you guys have been the MOST help I've had so far..just in the few posts I've made. :goodvibes Thanks.

About 15-20 yrs ago, he was very close (weeks) to deployment, and they sent home a workbook of checklists. Stuff like that. At the time, I remember notifiying lenders, blah blah blah, but then deployment was cancelled & he didn't go.

I imagine if the military still has anything like that, that its online these days. That's what I'm looking for. Not just lists that private people have decided to post.

Today its just on my mind a lot even though I have other more immediate things I really should be working on.

Yes, you guys have been the MOST help I've had so far..just in the few posts I've made. :goodvibes Thanks.

For workbooks and check lists we were given those at the predeployment event a few months before they left for the MOB station. There are also some great workbooks and videos on the militaryonesource website I mentioned before. I was able to get the paperwork faster for things like deferring loan interest faster through the family assistance center (they attend most of the FRG meetings) than DH was through the unit.

If you are able to get involved with the family group there may be opportunities for you and your kids. I know for us we get free YMCA memberships while the soldier is activated. These types of thing vary from state to state though.

For workbooks and check lists we were given those at the predeployment event a few months before they left for the MOB station. There are also some great workbooks and videos on the militaryonesource website I mentioned before. I was able to get the paperwork faster for things like deferring loan interest faster through the family assistance center (they attend most of the FRG meetings) than DH was through the unit.

If you are able to get involved with the family group there may be opportunities for you and your kids. I know for us we get free YMCA memberships while the soldier is activated. These types of thing vary from state to state though.

FAC participation at a unit FRG level is state by state-they are out there for every state and i can get that information for you if you need it. All of the units in the state my husband drills in (not the one we live in) distribute family readiness materials-such as check lists once a year-although since i believe CB said she works for an attorney she probably already has things in place-the list is going to tell you-get wills and POAs done, make sure you understand the finances and know what bills to pay when, make sure you know where to get the car repaired ect. there will be a good amount of information come out about the switch to tri-care and such at pre mob briefings at the unit-usually a few months out. as far as lenders-SSCRA gives you the reduced interest-but our car and house were lower than their limit anyway do to economic conditions-if you have credit cards-check the terms of how they will handle it carefully-some only reduce interest on the existing balance, close the account and give you new terms for new purchases.
things have changed some since the first gulf war-and most of the time all you need to do is fax in orders-if your interest rate is not already lower than 6 percent-other wise there is no need to notify lenders. For the most part-your husband will be provided check lists-they will most likey have a deployment fair-that will provide you alot of stuff-you havent said how far out from title 10 orders they are-but a good many of those things you cant do til you have paper orders-which dont come til about 60 days before activation.
Things like the free YMCA member ship you can find on google (that is not a state by state thing-that is extended to all families of all deployed soldiers-any discounts or benefits that are extended to active duty military-apply to you when your spouse is deployed.)

OK, I'll wait to see what they give us. I think I'm just trying to get a jump on things & I'm early on a lot of this I guess. Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter