Best things to do at Universal Studios Orlando

Burgermom

Mouseketeer
planning an adult trip to universal studios and hoping to do the 2 parks and Volcano Bay
Any suggestions on "must-dos"? Best rides? shows? dining? etc
I am super new (never been) and there may be things that i have not thought to do
We will have 3 full days
TIA

Tough one. Pretty broad question. But I'll give it a try.

First, the shows: IOA: The castle light show is not to be missed. It is short, but awesome. If you like super heroes, it is pretty cool to be down near the Spiderman ride when the villains are out. Green Goblin and Doctor Doom are great, then the superheroes show up on quad cycles. For the long time Disney parks fans, it is similar to the old Power Ranger meet and greet at Hollywood Studios.

USO: Must do: The Hollywood Horror Make-Up Show & The Blues Brother. Both are a lot of fun, especially if you are an older Gen X'er. The Cinematic Celebration is good. I wouldn't consider it a must do, but it is pretty impressive. Animal Actors on Location is also pretty good as well, but not must do unless you are a total animal over.

Rides: IOA: Spiderman and Forbidden Journey are the two must do's, but I haven't had the pleasure of going on Hagrid's yet (2 weeks from today will be my first ride hopefully). Kong and Hulk are also good. And I actually love the Dr Seuss High in the Sky trolley. The water rides are fantastic as well, especially Dudley Do Right which is the fastest log flume ride I've ever been on. But you get soaked to the bone. As wet as jumping into a swimming pool totally clothed. I'd suggest making a plan to do that wearing swimies and dry fit shirts then heading back to your hotel to change clothes. The Hulk is also great, especially at night.

USO: The Simpsons and Men in Black are my two favorites here. I can ride those over and over again (and will on at least one of my park days coming up). After than, Gringotts is must do because it is a spectacle. The ride itself isn't anything special though. But the presentation is awesome. Then The Mummy, which is a lot of fun and pretty exciting, but not too crazy. Rip Ride Rocket is a lot of fun as well because you get to pick the song you listen to during your ride ("Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys is the best), but the seats are pretty tight and uncomfortable for larger folks (I'm 6'3" 245 lbs and barely fit).

Food: US is not as good as Disney when it comes to dining options. Most of the really good stuff is at the City Walk. But the Harry Potter restaurants are both great and offer some high quality meals. We get the feast that we share. IOA has Mythos (sit down) and Thunder Falls Terrace (chicken and ribs - with a great view of everyone splashing down on the final Jurassic Park drop). The rest of the places are average theme park cuisine. USO has Krusty Burger and the Taco truck along with Lard Lad Donuts. After that, nothing excites me much there. The Citywalk has some really good spots though. Almost every place is good. Red Oven in the BEST pizza on property and a fantastic place to people watch after the parks close. Antojitos is standard Mexican, but good and reasonably priced (and filling with the free chips and salsa). And Pat O'Briens is great if you like dueling pianos. The food is ok too, but nothing special.

Hope this helps. My world of advice is try to do as much as possible because what I like isn't neccessarily what you would like.

Check out the park maps site

You can familiarize where each ride, show, eatery, shop, restrooms, etc are located

Also read the sections in each park
It will help you save time knowing what each park has that you might want to check out

Also read the trip report forum
Many share their personal experiences on the way they handled the parks and give out tips

Read through some pages of the sticky threads - that should help you get your feet under you.

Some details about your party and stay might help. Just adults or adults and kids (ages)? Harry Potter fans (not a requirement to enjoy the areas, IMO)? Everyone like coasters? Simulators? Where are you staying? When are you going? Etc.

With 3 days, you could do one day at each park. We've never been to Volcano Bay, so I don't have any advice there.

Our family's favorites are:
  • Islands of Adventure (IOA):
    • Rides - Hulk*, Forbidden Journey (FJ)*, Spiderman*, Jurassic Park**, we haven't done Hagrid's* yet, but I have no reason to believe that won't make it to our favorite list.
    • Food - Mythos, Doc Sugrus
  • Universal Studios
    • Rides - Transformers, Gringotts*, Simpsons (love/hate this one), Mummy (our favorite)*, Men In Black (probably 2nd fav)*, Rip Ride Rocket
    • Food - Fast Food Boulevard
    • Shows - Horror Makeup Show
  • Citywalk
    • Food - Cowfish, Vivo, Voodoo Donuts, Red Oven
* = Must do
** = Must do if A. you like water rides and B. it's not cold

I do not know if you're a massive Harry Potter fan, or anyone else that's in your group is, but that would definitely be the top must do. Even non-huge Potter fans seem to love and get a kick out of the land so I highly recommend it for sure.

When I'm at the parks I'm a frequent AP solo rider and with that I have at least one must do each time I'm there no matter whether I do both parks, or just one. For IoA it's Spider-Man, for Universal it's Horror Make Up Show.

While I love a lot of rides at IoA and FJ is my ultimate favorite, I seem to always need to go on Spider-Man at least once if I'm on the IoA side. It's an amazing and fun simulator experience, but I guess I'm biased since SM is also one of my favorite heroes and one of my first ride experiences so there might be a sense of nostalgia to it too. If I'm at Universal, while there is always a lot of certain rides I go on and of course there are plenty of thrilling and fun experiences, I seem to always stop by The Horror Make Up Show on my way out every time. It's relaxing, it's hilarious, it's intriguing if you're into special effects, and while the dialogue more, or less is the same, it's always funny and amusing to me as every actor is different and the volunteers always makes things interesting. It's also refreshing to see a show that has a little adult comedy too it when most theme parks (even Universal shows) always feel the need to try to keep it G rated.

There are plenty of must-dos and as @cschaaf said it depends on what your audience is, but instead of just giving you a list, or give a description of what most people would do, I just thought I'd share my person one must do for each park and why I personally have mine.

Thanks so much everyone. Super helpful.i would not have thought to see the horror makeup show, for example, so that's helpful.
We are just 2 40 something adults so mostly looking for adult stuff but i'm planning to have a peak at the kids's stuff because we hope to bring our kids when they are a bit bigger.
The shows sound great so i will look at the schedule and try to make time for those.
We quite like Harry potter and LOVE the Simpsons (like, obsessed!) so those were already on our list but good to hear that they sound worth doing and we might try eating both in one of potter dining places as well as one of the Simpsons ones.
If there is anything specifically Simpsons that people can recommend that would be great; but otherwise we will probably just take our time exploring that "land"
thanks again :)

Tough one. Pretty broad question. But I'll give it a try.

First, the shows: IOA: The castle light show is not to be missed. It is short, but awesome. If you like super heroes, it is pretty cool to be down near the Spiderman ride when the villains are out. Green Goblin and Doctor Doom are great, then the superheroes show up on quad cycles. For the long time Disney parks fans, it is similar to the old Power Ranger meet and greet at Hollywood Studios.

USO: Must do: The Hollywood Horror Make-Up Show & The Blues Brother. Both are a lot of fun, especially if you are an older Gen X'er. The Cinematic Celebration is good. I wouldn't consider it a must do, but it is pretty impressive. Animal Actors on Location is also pretty good as well, but not must do unless you are a total animal over.

Rides: IOA: Spiderman and Forbidden Journey are the two must do's, but I haven't had the pleasure of going on Hagrid's yet (2 weeks from today will be my first ride hopefully). Kong and Hulk are also good. And I actually love the Dr Seuss High in the Sky trolley. The water rides are fantastic as well, especially Dudley Do Right which is the fastest log flume ride I've ever been on. But you get soaked to the bone. As wet as jumping into a swimming pool totally clothed. I'd suggest making a plan to do that wearing swimies and dry fit shirts then heading back to your hotel to change clothes. The Hulk is also great, especially at night.

USO: The Simpsons and Men in Black are my two favorites here. I can ride those over and over again (and will on at least one of my park days coming up). After than, Gringotts is must do because it is a spectacle. The ride itself isn't anything special though. But the presentation is awesome. Then The Mummy, which is a lot of fun and pretty exciting, but not too crazy. Rip Ride Rocket is a lot of fun as well because you get to pick the song you listen to during your ride ("Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys is the best), but the seats are pretty tight and uncomfortable for larger folks (I'm 6'3" 245 lbs and barely fit).

Food: US is not as good as Disney when it comes to dining options. Most of the really good stuff is at the City Walk. But the Harry Potter restaurants are both great and offer some high quality meals. We get the feast that we share. IOA has Mythos (sit down) and Thunder Falls Terrace (chicken and ribs - with a great view of everyone splashing down on the final Jurassic Park drop). The rest of the places are average theme park cuisine. USO has Krusty Burger and the Taco truck along with Lard Lad Donuts. After that, nothing excites me much there. The Citywalk has some really good spots though. Almost every place is good. Red Oven in the BEST pizza on property and a fantastic place to people watch after the parks close. Antojitos is standard Mexican, but good and reasonably priced (and filling with the free chips and salsa). And Pat O'Briens is great if you like dueling pianos. The food is ok too, but nothing special.

Hope this helps. My world of advice is try to do as much as possible because what I like isn't neccessarily what you would like.

They just launched show times for the dates of your visit today, just FYI. I had been waiting on them also. :)

The Simpson's area has a few things that, as a Simpson's fan, you'll enjoy.

The Simpson's Ride is the main attraction. It's a simulator-style ride and one of the rougher rides in the park. It's one of the more common ones to see motion sickness complaints about. That said, parts of the queue, the pre-show, and the ride are hilarious.

Kang and Kodos's Twirl and Hurl is a spinner ride. I've never ridden it, but it is also supposed to be funny.

Fast Food Boulevard is like a small food court. You can enter through Moe's and you'll find things like Krusty Burger, Cletus' Chicken Shack, The Frying Dutchman, and others. You can also grab a Flaming Moe in Moe's.

Right across the street from that there is a Duff Brewery bar, Lard Lad Donuts, and Bumblebee Man Tacos. You can check the menus on the Universal site to see if you think you'll find something to eat at any of those.

Lots of little touches throughout the area that you can look for. It's not the biggest area or the most heavily themed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter