Best time of year?

allthenamesaretaken

Mouseketeer
I'm planning a trip to Hong Kong next year, specifically for HKDL. I've never been to Hong Kong before so have no idea what would be the best time of year to visit. We'd only go for about 5 days.

I've been to HKDL in October twice. It's a great time to be there. So far, it's my favorite time to go there. The weather is quite nice - dry and not too hot. The crowd level is great. Most of the rides only have 5-10 min wait time. A plus is the Halloween season, especially because halloween in HKDL is quite different from Not So Scary Halloween we see in the US.

[QUOTE="PearlElpis, post: 56261783, member: 134281"The crowd level is great. Most of the rides only have 5-10 min wait time. A plus is the Halloween season, especially because halloween in HKDL is quite different from Not So Scary Halloween we see in the US.[/QUOTE]

Do you think 3 days would be too long? We'd literally do everything there is.
I've only been to Paris and Tokyo as yet so I haven't experienced parks that are much bigger...

We went in Mid May. Crowds were fine but it was pretty hot. I think two days at Disney is enough. We spent two days in Hong Kong and Kowloon and I could have done two more and gone to Lantau and Ocean Park.

Two days at HK Disneyland is plenty. It's quite a small park. October is good, but still a bit hot. I think that November would be better, weather wise. December is also quite nice. January and February can get cold, and you have to schedule around Chinese New Year. But if you want to go for Halloween, then October is ok. February and March are also good months. Into April and May it starts getting hot again.

Hey! :) I was in HKDL in October this year. It was great because the Halloween additions are not a separate ticket! So they switch the parades to Halloween parades, and there is trick or treating, and the villains come out! The characters are out in their Halloween costumes, it was great! If you are going to go for more than 3 days its worth it to get an annual pass. We purchased one and ended up going 5 times. We did 3 full days and 2 half days! You get a discount on food, and merchandise with the annual pass, and you get to say you're a HKDL AP! :)
The park is so convenient on the subway line, so its easy to go do other things in Hong Kong, plus the park. One day we did Nong Ping Cable cars (There is an awesome hike there and a giant Buddha) in the morning and Disney in the evening. And another day we did Disney in the morning and hiked the Victoria Peak for the sunset in the evening! It was awesome :) Hong Kong is an amazing City!

:)

We're looking at going early October, but our planned date falls on the post mid autumn festival holiday. Does anyone know anything about this? How hard we should work to re-work it to another day?

If you're talking about October 5th, it's a public holiday here and the park will likely be busy, but probably still doable if it's the only day you have available. If you're talking about October 6th, you should be fine because everyone will be back at work and school.

If you're talking about October 5th, it's a public holiday here and the park will likely be busy, but probably still doable if it's the only day you have available. If you're talking about October 6th, you should be fine because everyone will be back at work and school.

It's comforting to know it will still be doable. I think our day/s will depend on if we stay onsite or not. If we do we might spread it out over 4th/6th but if not we'll probably just do one day of the 5th.

If we do the evening of the 4th at the park for the night time entertainment, would we be missing good opportunities for the mid autumn festivities in the city?

It's comforting to know it will still be doable. I think our day/s will depend on if we stay onsite or not. If we do we might spread it out over 4th/6th but if not we'll probably just do one day of the 5th.

If we do the evening of the 4th at the park for the night time entertainment, would we be missing good opportunities for the mid autumn festivities in the city?

To be honest, we usually don't go out into the city on mid-autumn festival because we usually have other plans, so I'm not sure what goes on. I think Victoria Park has a big thing, but it would be very crowded. There are also fire dragon dances in Tai Hang and Pokfulam, (probably elsewhere, too). We usually just stay in our apartment community which puts on a little fair, and let the kids run around with their lanterns/glow in the dark toys, or go out to the beach with friends. Disney would probably have just as good entertainment for the holiday, though I can't say for sure as I've never gone there on that particular holiday. I guess it depends if you want a more "local" experience, or if you just want to experience Disney's version of the holiday. :)

Hi again everyone,

Does anyone know what the usual hours are for October at HKDL?

They're 10:30am-9pm at the moment, do they always stay the same?

I just realised Halloween time means we're going to miss Paint the Night :sad:, do you think we'll miss Flights of Fantasy too???

Last edited:
I just wanted to chime in. We spent today in the park, and have tickets for tomorrow as well. I think two days will be more than enough in the park. We are planning only a half day tomorrow, and will have done everything. The lines were very short for everything today (Monday June 26), and fast passes were available all day long.

Do not miss Mystic Manor. It was fabulous. The Mickey Storybook show was also excellent, but be sure to sit on the right side of the theater because some parts have English subtitles that are only shown on the right side of the theater. We sat on the far left, and I couldn't read them.

We are staying at the Hollywood hotel and love it. We walked over to the Explorers Lodge and it's like a tiny Animal Kingdom Lodge, our hotel's pool is significantly better because it has a great water slide.

I just wanted to chime in. We spent today in the park, and have tickets for tomorrow as well. I think two days will be more than enough in the park. We are planning only a half day tomorrow, and will have done everything. The lines were very short for everything today (Monday June 26), and fast passes were available all day long.

Do not miss Mystic Manor. It was fabulous. The Mickey Storybook show was also excellent, but be sure to sit on the right side of the theater because some parts have English subtitles that are only shown on the right side of the theater. We sat on the far left, and I couldn't read them.

We are staying at the Hollywood hotel and love it. We walked over to the Explorers Lodge and it's like a tiny Animal Kingdom Lodge, our hotel's pool is significantly better because it has a great water slide.

Great feedback. Thank you!

We've just booked Hollywood Hotel so great to hear.

We've got 2 day passes so are hoping to spread it out with the little one. You've made it sound vary manageable and worthwhile. :)

The Mickey Storybook show was also excellent, but be sure to sit on the right side of the theater because some parts have English subtitles that are only shown on the right side of the theater. We sat on the far left, and I couldn't read them.

Thanks for the advice! If you sit in the middle of the theater, would you be able to read the subtitles? Or do you really have to be on the right side?

Thanks for the advice! If you sit in the middle of the theater, would you be able to read the subtitles? Or do you really have to be on the right side?
Middle would be fine too. Just don't sit far left and you will be fine. I was far left as you can be, and could just barely not make them out. Ten feet closer and I would have been fine.

All depends what you like about Disney and how important crowds and weather are.
Been 18 times in the past 6y and tried every season.
Weatherwise the best times of the year are November through April cause Summer and Spring/Autumn can be VERY hot and humid
Crowdwise: the rides are never very busy but characterlines can get very long during Halloweenseason, second week December through early January, Easterweek, Golden week of Japan (cause then they all come to HK) and the week of Chinese NY
Seasons in the park: Chinese NY is great since it is unique, Spring this year was awesome but past years a bit mweh. Halloween is really nice but scarier than the other parks and my favorite is Christmas

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!