Best & Worst Pirates discussion

As for the auction scene, it's interesting that the people who identify with the larger lady have expressed empathy, but no one has spoken for the older lady, or the homely lady. I can guarantee you there are people who identify with them as well and those stereotypes of less-desirable traits are just as hurtful.

That's the thing... if we get rid of everything that people find hurtful, there will be nothing left.

That's the thing... if we get rid of everything that people find hurtful, there will be nothing left.
True, and I agree. Which is why I always kept my feelings about the "larger lady" to myself, until now. In this space.

Last edited:

True, and I agree. Which is why I always kept my feelings about the "larger lady" to myself, until now. In this space.

you have to find a balance - for basically everything you could find 1 person that will be offended by it and you can't really manage to that but clearly this scene negatively impacted a number of people. no idea if it is .01% or 10% or what but a meaningful number so it makes sense to adjust as time progress

I also think it is different if it is something that is featured in a scene vs something that one has to hunt for to be offended by it. Even in this example, the woman of size is clearly the brunt of a joke and is obvious - to indicate that a woman in the back who is older and is not catching the eye of the pirates but doesn't have lines about her and no focus is drawn to her, I think it is something one would have to hunt for to be offended by

You also need to distinguish between things that are potentially "hurtful" and things that are actually discriminatory. Just because something hurts someone's feelings doesn't make it illegal.

There is no clear answer on this one.

But I think this thread has forgotten the main point of the original post. It would have been nice to have had someone with the opposing viewpoint represented in the podcast, and for this, I cannot disagree.

Exactly, it wasn't even not HAVING the opposing viewpoint. It was that it was dismissed entirely as "nitpicky" when some very lovely discussion has ensued on a complex issue.

But I think this thread has forgotten the main point of the original post. It would have been nice to have had someone with the opposing viewpoint represented in the podcast, and for this, I cannot disagree.

Exactly, it wasn't even not HAVING the opposing viewpoint. It was that dismissed it entirely as "nitpicky" when some very lovely discussion has ensued on a complex issue.

Well, as I mentioned before, it is the standard lineup they have for best and the worst and this was just one of the topics covered - so it isn't like they specifically picked this group of people to talk about this topic

when it first came up during the regular weekly podcasts they did have females among the group that discussed it

Exactly, it wasn't even not HAVING the opposing viewpoint. It was that it was dismissed entirely as "nitpicky" when some very lovely discussion has ensued on a complex issue.
-------------------------------------
At the same time I'm sure everyone can find a topic that has been discussed at one point or another by the Podcasters that they felt either was too easily dismissed or didn't have representation.

For real though sometimes, respectfully, we want the Podcasters to only represent and only be on our side and be as passionate about a topic as we are that we forget they are individuals just like us capable of their own individual thoughts that do not in any way have to align with ours.

Besides take a look at the Board. How many topics get people riled up over something someone else shrugs off as NBD. Someone sees the dog issue as simple while someone else sees it as complex. Someone sees the DND signs as a simple issue while someone sees it as complex. And there have been plenty of times where one is told to not get so worked up while other people see it as perfectly valid to get worked up.

-------------------------------------
At the same time I'm sure everyone can find a topic that has been discussed at one point or another by the Podcasters that they felt either was too easily dismissed or didn't have representation.

For real though sometimes, respectfully, we want the Podcasters to only represent and only be on our side and be as passionate about a topic as we are that we forget they are individuals just like us capable of their own individual thoughts that do not in any way have to align with ours.

Besides take a look at the Board. How many topics get people riled up over something someone else shrugs off as NBD. Someone sees the dog issue as simple while someone else sees it as complex. Someone sees the DND signs as a simple issue while someone sees it as complex. And there have been plenty of times where one is told to not get so worked up while other people see it as perfectly valid to get worked up.

comon, stop getting worked up about this ;)

it is a good point though and I do think the team tries to be upfront about saying it is only their opinions but at the same time I do understand wanting deeper conversation on complex issues (though hard when it is a "best of / multiple topic" show)

comon, stop getting worked up about this ;)

it is a good point though and I do think the team tries to be upfront about saying it is only their opinions but at the same time I do understand wanting deeper conversation on complex issues (though hard when it is a "best of / multiple topic" show)
:laughing:

I understand as well for sure. I guess my expectations are different. I cannot nor do I want to force people to talk and talk and talk and come up with solutions that don't align with their viewpoints. Nor do I want someone to show up on the Podcast simply because they are the token person who is supposed to represent X,Y,Z. It's not my show, it's theirs. I certaintly have many other people I can discuss things with and there for sure is a larger outlet here on the boards where you get many many different people's opinions rather than a handful on the Podcast. I guess I'm not trying to force the Podcasters into a mold if you will (this is sorta a general comment since we've had plenty of "the Podcasters should have this person or they should have talked about this or that" though there's been some good feedback for the Podcasters to go on like shortening the intro, etc).

Criticism of any scene is absolutely fine. It gets different when you (and of course I'm not saying you Heidi) demand the scene be gone because you have a problem with it and if you don't like it no one should get to see it.

But I will put you on the spot (all in love of course!)... do you think the "larger lady" should be taken out because it makes you feel bad? (Don't answer if you don't want to.)

I'm offended by Duffy and feel that he should be removed from the parks.

Not because there's anything offensive about him....just because he's terrible.

What about replacing the redhead with Duffy?

I can't imagine anything more offensive.

Criticism of any scene is absolutely fine. It gets different when you (and of course I'm not saying you Heidi) demand the scene be gone because you have a problem with it and if you don't like it no one should get to see it.

But I will put you on the spot (all in love of course!)... do you think the "larger lady" should be taken out because it makes you feel bad? (Don't answer if you don't want to.)
I vote no.

And I USED to like you, @Tonyz ! (ROTFL - teasing, OF COURSE!!!!) :wave2:

Haha! I know I'm terrible!

But I was interested because you always have a good take on these things. And I really respect that you wouldn't vote to remove it even though it bothers you.
Thanx. And I TRY (notice the stress there!) not to ask others to help ME carry MY baggage. <wink>

Thanx. And I TRY (notice the stress there!) not to ask others to help ME carry MY baggage. <wink>

Well, IMO you absolutely should feel free to ask for help when you need it. Maybe not about a scene in a Disney World attraction... but if you've got other baggage you shouldn't have to carry it alone.

Ok, I've turned off my counseling switch.

Well, IMO you absolutely should feel free to ask for help when you need it. Maybe not about a scene in a Disney World attraction... but if you've got other baggage you shouldn't have to carry it alone.

Ok, I've turned off my counseling switch.
:thumbsup2

Well, as I mentioned before, it is the standard lineup they have ... so it isn't like they specifically picked this group of people to talk about this topic

Well, the standard lineup on Fox News is always the same, too, but that doesn’t make it ok.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!