Beware of DVC rental scammers

Shockingly, this morning I was informed by paypal that they have decided the case in my favor!!

I am very glad for you!

And shocked since pp doesn’t offer protection for timeshare transactions.

So here is the latest ...scammers are massing a number of valid DVC accounts by asking for Member numbers and screen shots. They then use these to vaildate their "ownership" to an unsuspecting renter. I have been contacted by at least 5 people under different names all looking for the above information. If the intent of the renter is a noble one, use an escrow service. Credit Cards also offer a degree of protection as does Pay PAL.

BEWARE, I HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS MUCH ACTIVITY IN THE 20+ YEARS THAT I HAVE BEEN RENTING OUT MY POINTS.

UGH.

(Side note: a friend of mine was actually scammed yesterday by one of those fake IRS “you owe money and we’re sending the sheriff to arrest you” calls...and he’s a smart guy. Scammers are good at what they do.)

(Side note: a friend of mine was actually scammed yesterday by one of those fake IRS “you owe money and we’re sending the sheriff to arrest you” calls...and he’s a smart guy. Scammers are good at what they do.)[/QUOTE]

I'm having troubling reconciling your friend being a smart guy and falling for the IRS scam you describe.

I'm having troubling reconciling your friend being a smart guy and falling for the IRS scam you describe.

And yet...

He’d never heard of the scam. Ever.

He felt they knew info about him that only the irs would. He’s an independent contractor. He was distracted. And they got him where it counted, with the “we’ll have you arrested” deal.

And again, he’d never heard of the scam.

And yet...

He’d never heard of the scam. Ever.

He felt they knew info about him that only the irs would. He’s an independent contractor. He was distracted. And they got him where it counted, with the “we’ll have you arrested” deal.

And again, he’d never heard of the scam.

This is so unfortunate! I guess the scam wouldn't still be around if no one fell for it.

You have to share your member number to do a transfer. Well, at least one party has to.

Are you sure about that? My understanding is all you need is the other party's name and address to initiate a transfer. Maybe something has recently changed?

Are you sure about that? My understanding is all you need is the other party's name and address to initiate a transfer. Maybe something has recently changed?
I had to provide my member number, name, phone and address to the person transferring points to me prior to the transfer. So they know what membership to put the points in. I am not sure if I could have just provided it myself during a 3 way call with MS on the phone, rather than giving it to the other member and them making the phone call. The problem with that strategy may be because transfers are final transactions, payment occurs prior to the transfer. An element of trust and a contract is needed.

MS does now require the membership number of the account into which the points will be transferred. It is always wise to also have the name of the member receiving the transfer - since MS will also cross-reference that with the owner of the account. MS does not seem to be requesting the address of the receiving member, but that could also be useful to make sure the points go into the correct account.

In the case reported in this thread, the poster/scammer had already been banned several times by using aliases. They created an alias and waited 6 months after meeting the posting requirement so that they did not need to provide a name and phone number required with a rental plan purchase. That username has not returned to the DIS since September, but has been banned.

They also created yet another username when OP reported the successful outcome and then even posted in this thread. That new username won't be posting any longer either but they were well on their way to meeting posting requirements again next summer.

Potential renters should ALWAYS review past posts of those offering their points, ask (and check) references, never send any $$$ until a reservation confirmation (in their name) has been received. (The only exception to that policy would be when requesting a reservation within 30 days of arrival since the member's points are placed in jeopardy unless they expire at the end of the current month.)

It is great to learn that Paypal did support the OP and provide some relief from an otherwise frustrating experience.

Many thanks to CapJames for sharing his experience - both the bad but especially the good result! :)

In the case reported in this thread, the poster/scammer had already been banned several times by using aliases. They created an alias and waited 6 months after meeting the posting requirement so that they did not need to provide a name and phone number required with a rental plan purchase. That username has not returned to the DIS since September, but has been banned.
Perhaps everyone who posts through the rent/trade board should have to supply a verified name and phone number even if they are not required to purchase a rental plan. I have rented my points here on the DIS in the past and I would not mind providing that information for the privilege of posting my points for rent. Of course, scammers are going to scam but as least it's a road bump. One that the scammer in question was obviously avoiding.

They also created yet another username when OP reported the successful outcome and then even posted in this thread. That new username won't be posting any longer either but they were well on their way to meeting posting requirements again next summer.
Holy cow! That takes real chutzpah.

MS does now require the membership number of the account into which the points will be transferred. It is always wise to also have the name of the member receiving the transfer - since MS will also cross-reference that with the owner of the account. MS does not seem to be requesting the address of the receiving member, but that could also be useful to make sure the points go into the correct account.

Potential renters should ALWAYS review past posts of those offering their points, ask (and check) references, never send any $$$ until a reservation confirmation (in their name) has been received. (The only exception to that policy would be when requesting a reservation within 30 days of arrival since the member's points are placed in jeopardy unless they expire at the end of the current month.)

It is great to learn that Paypal did support the OP and provide some relief from an otherwise frustrating experience.

Many thanks to Cap.James for sharing his experience - both the bad but especially the good result! :)

Call me paranoid or what have you, but I think it's worth the extra few hundred dollars to go through a reliable rental agency for the ease and peace of mind. Unless one is dealing with a long-standing renter who has had a spotless record here.

LAX

In this case, the prior bannings for this individual had nothing to do with DVC rentals - which really supports the need for due diligence by renters. Checking the past rental history both here by reviewing past posts and by checking referrals provided by the member is always a good idea.

As for the rental brokers, many (if not all) have also had failed transactions. Sometimes they have still been able to procure another reservation for the renter, sometimes they just refund the money spent, which was not different than what happened in this case.

They also created yet another username when OP reported the successful outcome and then even posted in this thread.
Wow, if that person's post is still in the thread then it is pretty obvious who it is (EDITED: I was incorrect, see Doc's message below, so the information I commented on was about the wrong person and redacted)

Last edited:
Wow, if that person's post is still in the thread then it is pretty obvious who it is (but please nobody try harassing anyone since I don't know if that is the person). If that is the case, the person actually told OP to contact the police on them. That tells me OP absolutely does not have any real information on them, and they were working real hard to make sure this new user's post history looks legitimate.

So if it is any comfort OP, I don't think you got scammed by some 2-bit crook but by someone who covered their bases really well. Unfortunately it is not overly comforting to know the lengths people will go to for a few thousand dollars...
The post had already been removed before I posted this morning, but the removed post was made on January 18. The poster registered 10 days earlier, a month later than this thread was started.

The post had already been removed before I posted this morning, but the removed post was made on January 18. The poster registered 10 days earlier, a month later than this thread was started.
Ah, then my mistake. Thank you for correcting me on that.

And also bravo to the Admin/Mod team for finding and removing the person. I know there is no way to find everyone out to cause trouble but I appreciate the efforts made in preventing it. There, hopefully that buys me some leniency the next time I get myself in a bit of trouble ;)

(seriously though, thank you guys for all you do!)

Perhaps everyone who posts through the rent/trade board should have to supply a verified name and phone number even if they are not required to purchase a rental plan. I have rented my points here on the DIS in the past and I would not mind providing that information for the privilege of posting my points for rent. Of course, scammers are going to scam but as least it's a road bump. One that the scammer in question was obviously avoiding.

Agreed. As someone who has rented through an owner found on the DIS, I'd be okay supplying verified info from this end as well. The rental services are great, but when I was renting, the only points they had available were for OKW and SSR. Using the DIS, I found an owner who had exactly what I was looking for and charged me the same as a rental service would have. Scammers just ruin it for everyone.

Ah, then my mistake. Thank you for correcting me on that.

And also bravo to the Admin/Mod team for finding and removing the person. I know there is no way to find everyone out to cause trouble but I appreciate the efforts made in preventing it. There, hopefully that buys me some leniency the next time I get myself in a bit of trouble ;)

(seriously though, thank you guys for all you do!)

Very seriously, the best way to thank us, and the best way to avoid getting into trouble on the Rent/Trade forum is to follow the recommendations in the **How to use this Board** thread before you post. Too many don't even bother to read it. :( Our jobs would be easier and less time consuming if everyone would.

We mods do what we can, but the DISboards.com does not endorse anyone offering rentals, trades or transfers and all transactions should be viewed as "Buyer Beware". We encourage all parties to use due diligence when participating in any rental transaction.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!