Beware of Rancho Del Zocalo birds!

StarlitNight05

DIS Veteran
Just wanted to give a few words of advice when choosing a dining area at Rancho Del Zocalo. If you can, pick anything that is covered. DH and I just went last weekend to get some breakfast. It was a relatively nice day and the sun wasn't too bright yet, so we decided to sit in the open area near the condiment cart. About halfway through our breakfast (which was very good by the way), a group of finches flew by screeching at each other. A few seconds later one bird literally fell right into my husband's pancakes, then landed in mine before it flew off. We were pretty full anyway so we decided to end our meal (it didn't seem too appetizing anymore!). A cast member noticed we were taking our plates away and asked if anything was wrong with the food. When we explained what happened he mentioned the birds were "vicious" there and offered us another plate. We appreciated the gesture, but we had a lunch reservation for that day so we didn't want to be too full.

Needless to say, we will be sitting in the patio covered area from now on!

Last edited:
Oh sounds like the bird were hungry too! Sorry to hear they wanted to eat your food, but its great that a CM noticed and offered you another plate.

I was dive bombed while standing in line for The Matterhorn under the covered portion right before you load. The bird flew right at my face and then it relieved itself on my head. I still kinda have nightmares about that:(

I was dive bombed while standing in line for The Matterhorn under the covered portion right before you load. The bird flew right at my face and then it relieved itself on my head. I still kinda have nightmares about that:(

OMGoodness... don't blame you for the nightmares!

I wouldn't localize them to that restaurant. I seem to get pesterd by them the most while eating begneits at Ralph Bremnan jazz kitchen.

I wouldn't localize them to that restaurant. I seem to get pesterd by them the most while eating begneits at Ralph Bremnan jazz kitchen.
Yeah that's a good point! I guess you have to keep watch everywhere for those little guys.

That's definitely traumatizing!

Hahaha!! Even the patio covered area isn't safe from them! One family just about got pooped on. The bird was sitting on one of the light fixtures and then "plop" - it hit the floor next to their table.

I love birds, so don't really mind them (they're gorgeous to look at in the little bird bath in the restaurant)... but that must have been a little unappetizing.

When we were eating there the morning of the 11th I believe there weren't any finches around but there was a family of ducks. One of the babies came up and nibbled at my shoe. I assured him it wasn't tasty and he went on his way. I really HATE how many people we saw actively feeding the birds or encouraging their children to do so - including one dude with an entire bread bowl near Harbor House!

About halfway through our breakfast (which was very good by the way), a group of finches flew by screeching at each other.
They were probably arguing about how expensive ticket prices have gotten! But I agree with PP that folks feeding them really encourages them on.

Wowww that's nuts! I've eaten there a number of times and never experienced that, normally I go around dinner though.. Maybe the birds are crazy in the morning hours. hmmm

I remember tryin to feed a dolphin at Sea World years ago. Darn seagull swooped down and you know the rest.

A WDW story but we were walking around World Showcase at Epcot and had just gotten Mickey Ice Cream bars. The sea gulls were winging around and then one flew in over my shoulder from behind and latched onto my Mickey Bar that I only had 2 bites out of! I don't tolerate such rude animal behavior and that bird did not get the Ice cream bar he was looking for as I hung on tight. :laughing:

Of course I didn't either as it went in the next trash can. :sad1:

My wife and I had a bird issue a couple of visits ago. Be careful when using the seats just outside of the covered area as well. I didn't really about the table being under the cover of trees but smaller birds like to hang out above that table and cause many regrets.

These are the kinds of things that start happening when people feed the birds, there is a reason they ask you not to. It really make the birds dependent on people and far more agressive with those who don't feed them.

I'm a birder (bird watcher), and although hardly an expert have a few comments to share:

Most importantly, birds often poop just before taking flight from a roost. So if a bird is sitting above you, you should move.

While I agree it's a bad to feed the birds, their behavior is likely quite ingrained. The house finches have been eating various scraps (popcorn, bread, french fries...) since DL opened. They are mature in 1 year, so thats's 60 generations of scrap eating birds!

This diet of scraps might change typical house finch behavior. A male house finch will have red coloring to attract a mate, and brighter red birds are more attractive to females. The coloring comes from food, so are male Disneyland house finches red? I'll need to watch the Disneyland birds more closely :eek:

Edit: DW informs me the more common DL bird is the house sparrow.

Not directly related, but interesting:
Where Did All Those Canada Geese In Town Come From?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter