BEWARE OF USING POINTS IN DVC COLLECTION ETC.!

When our recent Vero Beach cottage stay in March was cancelled due to the closure, we opted to roll the points into an ABD trip instead. The ABD trip ws subsequently cancelled and I've been informed that:

1. The points cannot be converted back into DVC points and therefore cannot be unborrowed.
2. The points can only be used on Disney Collection or DCL.
3. As of today nothing is bookable in either and the points expire on 11/30.

No exceptions.

So because rather than take the refund and run we chose to stick with Disney, we are now likely out over 500 points. I'm on hold to speak with a supervisor but I'll tell you after speaking with MS a few times these past few weeks (after a decade of never having a single negative experience with DVC MS) - these member service reps are starting out super punchy/angry and rude and only getting worse from there. I have tried to be extra nice, sympathize with them, etc. but they are starting out super defensive and really no matter what you say they obviously have been coached to be human walls. Such a sad situation.
So sorry, that is the trifecta of bad luck. We also had a VB cottage for the last week in March that was cancelled so I know how disappointing that was. What a terrible progression of events for you :( I must say you are taking it with class and dignity. I would have been ranting up a storm here. I hope things somehow work out better than you could have hoped.

So sorry, that is the trifecta of bad luck. We also had a VB cottage for the last week in March that was cancelled so I know how disappointing that was. What a terrible progression of events for you :( I must say you are taking it with class and dignity. I would have been ranting up a storm here. I hope things somehow work out better than you could have hoped.
When you convert to Reservation Points there are hazards. That's why it is often better to rent out your points and pay for that non-DVC trip using cash.

When you convert to Reservation Points there are hazards. That's why it is often better to rent out your points and pay for that non-DVC trip using cash.
Ironically but truthfully I was actually really trying to keep the $$ with Disney bc I thought - and still do think - they did right by their customers given the pandemic is no one’s fault. I just fell into a big crack so to speak. No luck on booking a hotel bc it’s over 500 points so that’s a long time at nine zero in Boston for no good reason - lol! Not sure yet what we’ll do if anything.

Question, if you are in the position where you have Reservation Points, would it be better to use them during the beginning of your Use Year instead of towards the end that way if a cancellation does occur, you have more time to use those points at another eligible location? I ask because I'm looking to use points in the Concierge Collection next year at the beginning of my UY; and I'm thinking that having them set to use at the beginning gives me more options if that reservation is cancelled and I end up with Reservation Points vs having the reservation near the end of my UY. I understand renting would be better off overall, but I'm just not good with the current situation to rent.

I would spec book and rent the best hotel you can find and hope to get some cash for that reservation

Question, if you are in the position where you have Reservation Points, would it be better to use them during the beginning of your Use Year instead of towards the end that way if a cancellation does occur, you have more time to use those points at another eligible location? I ask because I'm looking to use points in the Concierge Collection next year at the beginning of my UY; and I'm thinking that having them set to use at the beginning gives me more options if that reservation is cancelled and I end up with Reservation Points vs having the reservation near the end of my UY. I understand renting would be better off overall, but I'm just not good with the current situation to rent.

Any time you travel near the beginning of your UY it is better. When you book using reservation points, you can not travel in the last 4 months of the UY unless you book it during the first 8 months of the UY.

Just rent out your points yourself, and use the cash to book the Concierge Collection elsewhere.

When our recent Vero Beach cottage stay in March was cancelled due to the closure, we opted to roll the points into an ABD trip instead. The ABD trip ws subsequently cancelled and I've been informed that:

1. The points cannot be converted back into DVC points and therefore cannot be unborrowed.
2. The points can only be used on Disney Collection or DCL.
3. As of today nothing is bookable in either and the points expire on 11/30.

No exceptions.

So because rather than take the refund and run we chose to stick with Disney, we are now likely out over 500 points. I'm on hold to speak with a supervisor but I'll tell you after speaking with MS a few times these past few weeks (after a decade of never having a single negative experience with DVC MS) - these member service reps are starting out super punchy/angry and rude and only getting worse from there. I have tried to be extra nice, sympathize with them, etc. but they are starting out super defensive and really no matter what you say they obviously have been coached to be human walls. Such a sad situation.

I want to tell you that I am going through the same thing. I used my points - 192, when each use year is only 100 points - to book at room back in January for the Sequoia Lodge at DLP for the end of September for the runDisney half marathon there. Well, that was cancelled last month and I opted to cancel my trip. I was told I would have to use my 192 reservation points by 9/30/20. Not ideal, as I thought to be able to use these reservation points next April for the next rundisney event I was going to sign up for. I have called every Friday for the past 3 weeks and they were not able to do this. They were also not able to book a room for me at a WDW resort (non-DVC) - UNTIL TODAY.
So if you can come down for a visit here sometime before 11/30/20, get on the phone today to make a reservation with member services.

I was able to do a long weekend (I am local) at the end of August at the Contemporary Tower, Theme Park view. Probably no fireworks or EWP, but I plan to take advantage of the points I was forced to use because of this. While I have used my points to stay at other Disney Hotels across the globe, after this, I probably won't do it again.

Good luck!

these member service reps are starting out super punchy/angry and rude and only getting worse from there. I have tried to be extra nice, sympathize with them, etc. but they are starting out super defensive and really no matter what you say they obviously have been coached to be human walls. Such a sad situation.

This has been my experience as well. I assumed that continuous negative calls was eroding the Disney Way of customer service. Three calls ago, there was a note in my membership for help with an affected reservation and when asked to resolve it, the representative seemed irritated that the reservation was deemed affected. It was truly bizarre.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter