Bicycle Theft

They said they have been having lots of issues with stolen bikes lately

1) WDW has as many thieves as anywhere else.
2) Resorts and parks are not immune, and are easily accessed by crooks.
3) When on vacation, guests are simply not as vigilant as they should be, and are frequently "easy pickings".
4) Ordinary care needs to be taken, and a simple bike lock is a good example.

Just was reported that another bike was stolen at the Fort today from the Settlement area...one of the ones stolen earlier from the 1800 loop was locked with a kryptonite lock and they just cut it. This is getting ridiculous.
While we were there in October, fellow campers were posting on Face Book that decorations were also being stolen.
Sounds like Disney needs to put a fence up around the Fort, or at least set up more security cameras. This doesn't sound like the work of random guests, but rather local thieves with a racket, realizing that the Fort is currently an easy mark.

Last edited:

Call for help? You can call for THEM some help.

I see somebody cutting a lock (bolt cutters aren't common camping tools) I'm making a scene loud and clear and maybe even providing ringside show.

I think the "magic" of Disney makes people feel like it's immune from the bad things of the real world, when in reality it makes it a better target. Bad guys go where there are lots of targets and I'm quite certain that many thieves see the price of an annual pass as minimal with the number of easy targets in the parks.

... Wouldn't one always lock up their bike?

Nope. In fact, most of the bikes we saw at FW are unlocked. We didn’t bother locking the kids’ bikes (ours were), but will from now on. It’s easy enough to loop them in with ours.

I think the "magic" of Disney makes people feel like it's immune from the bad things of the real world, when in reality it makes it a better target. Bad guys go where there are lots of targets and I'm quite certain that many thieves see the price of an annual pass as minimal with the number of easy targets in the parks.

You don't have to have an annual pass to tiptoe around Disney World, just for entry to parks. If you drive further out away from the parks, you quickly realize how close the "locals" live.

This does relate to the porous nature of the front entrance. I dont know what people are telling the guards but the last few years we have watched people over and over again enter the Fort and take all their things and either go to the pool or to the marina to catch the magic kingdom boat.

Such a shame, I know most private campgrounds we go to, we don't feel like we have to lock everything up. Other then maybe a couple beers missing out of someone's cooler, we really haven't heard of much theft.
But good to know we need to take locks when we go

I always hate to hear when some low life scum bucket too lazy to work and make money decides to steal from someone who is actually productive in life and earning the oxygen they are breathing.

Maybe the waste of humanity will jump on the bike only to find the seat missing.

One can only hope...

Wow good to know we need to be extra careful with our bikes. Although I wouldn't just assume it's "low life scum that don't work" doing it. My husband tells me all the time about the guys on his job, who by the way are making fairly decent money, that take as much as they can get their grimy hands on, supplies, anything they can, etc., etc., etc. So it's not necessarily the people that are "low life scum of humanity that don't work" or are "the lazy poor" that will be the ones that steal from you.

Last edited:
Gonna give this one a bump. I just read a post on Facebook that another Bike was stolen from the area around the Marina yesterday 19 Jan

Eyeeore sorry not that tech savvy It was in a group called Ft Wilderness campers Just said that another bike had been stolen yesterday by the water with a reminder to lock them

Last edited:
North of Mouse.. we did buy a lock for our Mickey lamp also, but if someone wants it bad enough... if they are the locals steeling bikes it would look silly for them to be walking around with a mickey lamp... so my hope is is a local and they won’t want my mickey lamp. I am too surprised that people who can afford to stay onsite at WDW would need to steal...I know I like to live in a bubble and I know the bad in some people (husband is a cop).... but still.. it’s Disney!

We had both of our bikes "stolen" @ a Georgia State Park. Turns out an employee was renting bikes to a couple and our bikes were parked across from the rental bikes... the employee reportedly told the couple to "just pick out any bike". :sad2: SO they took our two nicer bikes!

We found them ourselves by walking around the campground loops until we located them. Called the ranger.
The couple was embarrassed... the employee who did the rental didn't seem to think anything of it... but now we LOCK our bikes up with those big cables recommended by mickeyfan0805 when we bring them camping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter