Big Apple, Boardwalk, and Beach - Bullies and Wrap-up (The End!) (pg 44)

I have the exact same timeframe in my master plan. That might be a bad sign -- if you and I are both thinking it...probably lots of people are. :crowded:

Well, now we're thinking of fall 2019 either early November or early December. Danielle wants to to the college program fall 2019.

Well, now we're thinking of fall 2019 either early November or early December. Danielle wants to to the college program fall 2019.

That was my plan a little while ago, but we were afraid it would conflict with school schedules too much.

I hope Danielle gets in! Keep me posted.

Afternoon pool-time

We came back to the Boardwalk after our lunch (which consisted mostly of dessert) at Beaches & Cream. I was ready for some pool-time, but soon learned that I had an errand to run first. You see, James had been texting with some friends from school, who were also at Disney World. They were girls. Triplets. And he was kind of fond of one of them. (Why just one? I don’t know. He could have taken a lesson from Fonzie from “Happy Days”, who I can hear now saying, “Yo Richie, I’ve got a date tonight with the Hooper Triplets”.) Anyway, it hadn’t worked out yet that James was at the same park on the same day as they were, but he was hoping to rectify that soon, and when he did, he wanted to have a little gift. (Do NOT tell him I wrote this stuff down!) So, he wanted me to take him to Downtown Disney to get a bracelet. I think he had seen some when we were there before but didn’t get one, or more likely, didn’t want to explain to us why he wanted to get one. Anyway, he and I set off on a drive to Downtown Disney.

Judy also tacked onto our “to do” list to get some more gluten-free coffee cake from the Erin McKenna Bakery. Speaking of the Erin McKenna Bakery, Judy and I stopped into the “real” one, the one in New York City, last summer when we were there for a mini-vacation. It was a bit of a shock after seeing the one in Downtown Disney first. It was smaller than the Downtown Disney location, and basically just non-descript. It could have been any bakery in any city. As we were going in, Judy asked, “this is it?!” But hey, they’re meeting the need of these Hufflepuff-gluten-free people with a sweet tooth, so more power to ‘em.

James and I were successful in our purchasing missions and were back at the Boardwalk around 2:30 pm. He went on up to the suite, but I took the opportunity to take some pictures around the front of the resort.

Boardwalk entrance.

IMG_9252_zpshz3oe9h9.jpg

Pond and fountain.

IMG_9253_zps8pc0j8dh.jpg

Our balcony. We were on the third floor, so ours was the top, right two. The one with the railing (and a shared awning) was outside of the bedroom. The one to the right, with its own awning, was outside of the living room.

IMG_9254_zpslomktkdd.jpg

I distinctly heard this skink proclaim, “None shall pass!”

IMG_9255_zpstywz8lxu.jpg

Port cochere at the Boardwalk.

IMG_9256_zpsimxxxz5g.jpg

We reconvened in the suite. Some of us wanted to go swimming. Marlene did too, but said that she wanted some “alone-time” (all of this “togetherness” was getting to be a little much for her) so I suggested that she could go to the pool over at the Inn side of the resort. Lauren and James and I would head down to the Luna Park Pool. Judy, concerned about getting too much sun, was going to just rest in the suite.

Those of us at the Luna Park Pool ascended the creepy clown slide. Okay, okay, the “keister coaster”. Here’s a view from the top.

DSCF0231_zpsnjxeiqaa.jpg

If you turn the other way, you see the walking path, leading to Disney Hollywood Studios. (You might also see part of my finger covering the lens, but let’s not dwell on that.)

DSCF0230_zpsbfot4pan.jpg

Here’s some video of James going down the slide.

I took a turn also.

We decided to go over to the quiet pool, near Community Hall. I called Judy to come down since I had been able to get a table with an umbrella, and she wouldn’t have to worry about getting too much sun.

Meanwhile, James and I played some ping pong and a game of cornhole. I don’t remember who won at ping pong, but I know I killed him at cornhole. Where I worked, we used to have an annual cornhole tournament to benefit United Way, so I would get a fair amount of practice. I don’t think he liked losing to the old man. He’s gotten better at air hockey and ping pong, but now has another game to work on.

Remember how we enjoyed seeing ducks in Stormalong Bay over at the Beach Club. Well, we had our own brood right here in the Boardwalk Community Hall pool. We hadn’t seen them there before.

DSCF0239_zpslpriozjd.jpg

After Marlene came back, I went over to the Inn side of the resort to take some pictures. I walked through the lobby, past the Belle Vue Room, and descended these stairs into the courtyard.

DSCF0244_zpsberzwuxk.jpg

Some of the ground floor rooms have these little gardens off of the patio entrance. Not too shabby!

DSCF0243_zpsvbvtixlf.jpg

Approaching the Inn pool.

DSCF0245_zpstx6furdk.jpg

DSCF0246_zpsjarpzjvm.jpg

This pergola is at the entrance to the pool.

DSCF0247_zps46if1opx.jpg

Very nice entryway to the bathrooms.

DSCF0248_zpsbd6haskz.jpg

Some more pictures of the gardens outside of the ground floor rooms.

DSCF0249_zpshvhcllas.jpg

DSCF0250_zpsrzpunhpz.jpg

One more shot of the pool before I went back.

DSCF0251_zpsozikrgst.jpg

After a quick dip in the pool, I went back to join the others in getting ready for the night’s activities.

A thought occurred to me while we were enjoying the quiet pool near Community Hall. As DVC members, we’re allowed to “pool hop”, but it seems like there are more exceptions than pools you’re allowed to use. Such as, you can’t pool hop to: Stormalong Bay and the Leisure Pool at the Beach Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge pools (both Jambo House and Kidani), Bay Lake Tower, the Volcano pool at the Polynesian, Copper Creek Springs pool at Wilderness Lodge, the Art of Animation pools, and there may be more. But...the Boardwalk Villas is not an exception. And the Community Hall pool is right off the walking path from Hollywood Studios to Epcot. I am filing that away, if I ever plan a DHS/Epcot day and want to cool off in-between. Note to self: throw in the swim trunks.

Up next: I wish they all could be California Grills

Last edited:
Anyway, it hadn’t worked out yet that James was at the same park on the same day as they were, but he was hoping to rectify that soon, and when he did, he wanted to have a little gift. (Do NOT tell him I wrote this stuff down!) So, he wanted me to take him to Downtown Disney to get a bracelet.
That is too cute. Not sure I am ready for that kind of stuff yet. But he is very thoughtful.

Anyway, he and I set off on a drive to Downtown Disney.
Such a good Dad!

If you turn the other way, you see the walking path, leading to Disney Hollywood Studios. (You might also see part of my finger covering the lens, but let’s not dwell on that.)

DSCF0230_zpsbfot4pan.jpg
Man, this picture would have been great if it wasn't for that finger.... And the towel guy....

Lovely day of pooling off! I can't think of a better way to spend relaxing than by a keister planted on that creepy slide. The quiet pool is really very lovely! I don't think I've ever seen photos of that pool ever.... on any other TR anywhere. Nicely done!

OH dear! Isn't it great when your kids get to that age where you don't have to let them win anymore? LOL!! Good for you on the cornhole win!!

Awww, James getting a little gift for his crush. That is really sweet! I'll look forward to seeing if he gets to meet up with her later in the trip!

That is too cute. Not sure I am ready for that kind of stuff yet. But he is very thoughtful.

It'll come whether you're ready or not! Yes, he can be very thoughtful sometimes.

Such a good Dad!

The things we do for our kids, right?!

Man, this picture would have been great if it wasn't for that finger.... And the towel guy....

LOL, yes, it would've been such a great picture! It's like, take the postcard shot...now turn and get a shot of the non-postcard view.

Lovely day of pooling off! I can't think of a better way to spend relaxing than by a keister planted on that creepy slide. The quiet pool is really very lovely! I don't think I've ever seen photos of that pool ever.... on any other TR anywhere. Nicely done!

That's part of why I like Disney in the summertime, I love the pools. I think you're talking about the quiet pool on the Inn side of the resort? (I was actually in 3 pools on this particular afternoon: Luna Park Pool, Community Hall quiet pool, and the Boardwalk Inn quiet pool.) This is another one of those things that I owe to trip reports on the Disboards -- I had seen those ground floor rooms with the little gardens on somebody else's trip report.

OH dear! Isn't it great when your kids get to that age where you don't have to let them win anymore? LOL!! Good for you on the cornhole win!!

He will soon be beating me at everything, I know.

Awww, James getting a little gift for his crush. That is really sweet! I'll look forward to seeing if he gets to meet up with her later in the trip!

You can probably guess how long it lasts. :rolleyes:

We came back to the Boardwalk after our lunch (which consisted mostly of dessert) at Beaches & Cream. I was ready for some pool-time, but soon learned that I had an errand to run first. You see, James had been texting with some friends from school, who were also at Disney World. They were girls. Triplets. And he was kind of fond of one of them. (Why just one? I don’t know. He could have taken a lesson from Fonzie from “Happy Days”, who I can hear now saying, “Yo Richie, I’ve got a date tonight with the Hooper Triplets”.) Anyway, it hadn’t worked out yet that James was at the same park on the same day as they were, but he was hoping to rectify that soon, and when he did, he wanted to have a little gift. (Do NOT tell him I wrote this stuff down!) So, he wanted me to take him to Downtown Disney to get a bracelet. I think he had seen some when we were there before but didn’t get one, or more likely, didn’t want to explain to us why he wanted to get one. Anyway, he and I set off on a drive to Downtown Disney.

This is soooo sweet. I can totally see your reference to Fonzi. You're a great Dad for doing this.

Judy also tacked onto our “to do” list to get some more gluten-free coffee cake from the Erin McKenna Bakery. Speaking of the Erin McKenna Bakery, Judy and I stopped into the “real” one, the one in New York City, last summer when we were there for a mini-vacation. It was a bit of a shock after seeing the one in Downtown Disney first. It was smaller than the Downtown Disney location, and basically just non-descript. It could have been any bakery in any city. As we were going in, Judy asked, “this is it?!” But hey, they’re meeting the need of these Hufflepuff-gluten-free people with a sweet tooth, so more power to ‘em.

Sounds like Disney puts some glitz in their locations. I've read about their offerings on Meghan's trip report too. Might need to give it a try. I'm not gluten free but I'm curious.

We reconvened in the suite. Some of us wanted to go swimming. Marlene did too, but said that she wanted some “alone-time” (all of this “togetherness” was getting to be a little much for her) so I suggested that she could go to the pool over at the Inn side of the resort. Lauren and James and I would head down to the Luna Park Pool. Judy, concerned about getting too much sun, was going to just rest in the suite.

It's nice when everyone is old enough to do their own thing.

Meanwhile, James and I played some ping pong and a game of cornhole. I don’t remember who won at ping pong, but I know I killed him at cornhole. Where I worked, we used to have an annual cornhole tournament to benefit United Way, so I would get a fair amount of practice. I don’t think he liked losing to the old man. He’s gotten better at air hockey and ping pong, but now has another game to work on.

So competitive! Pretty soon he'll be beating you at everything.

Remember how we enjoyed seeing ducks in Stormalong Bay over at the Beach Club. Well, we had our own brood right here in the Boardwalk Community Hall pool. We hadn’t seen them there before.

Sooo cute.

Some of the ground floor rooms have these little gardens off of the patio entrance. Not too shabby!

I've seen these before and love them. So, these are for us regulars that don't have DVC?

That's part of why I like Disney in the summertime, I love the pools. I think you're talking about the quiet pool on the Inn side of the resort? (

Yes, I was.

He will soon be beating me at everything, I know.

The Circle of Life...

You can probably guess how long it lasts. :rolleyes:

see ^

Boy meets girl. They crush on each other for a while. Get all googly-eyed. And are done in about 5 minutes. Until they meet "the one".

This is soooo sweet. I can totally see your reference to Fonzi. You're a great Dad for doing this.

I don't know about that....there are so many other reasons why I'm a great Dad. ;) just kidding.

Sounds like Disney puts some glitz in their locations. I've read about their offerings on Meghan's trip report too. Might need to give it a try. I'm not gluten free but I'm curious.

The store in New York was perfectly appropriate for a lower Manhattan bakery shop, but wouldn't fit in in Disney Springs. I wouldn't call it "glitz", but just more white and clean and perfect-looking. I tasted a couple of gluten-free things from there and they were good!

It's nice when everyone is old enough to do their own thing.

A different kind of vacation than when they were little!

So competitive! Pretty soon he'll be beating you at everything.

Yep!

Sooo cute.

:)

I've seen these before and love them. So, these are for us regulars that don't have DVC?

I guess you could say that, but if you can afford them, you can probably afford DVC! I looked on the Disney website and they go for between $833 and $1,270 per night, depending on the season. That's right around the annual dues for 200 points of DVC, depending upon the resort, which'll get you about a week in a 1-bedroom each year.

Here's a review that has some pictures of the inside. I didn't realize they were 2-floor!
https://blog.mouseunlimited.com/2016/12/01/boardwalk-inn-garden-club-room-review/

Yes, I was.

Thought so. I think MEK had some pictures of them, which is the only reason I knew to even take a look over there.

The Circle of Life...

I'll be on the lookout for any stampeding wildebeest.

see ^

Boy meets girl. They crush on each other for a while. Get all googly-eyed. And are done in about 5 minutes. Until they meet "the one".

We're not ready for him to meet "the one" anytime soon, but yeah your time frame was spot-on!

I wish they all could be California Grills

For our evening activity on this, our non-park day, we had a reservation for another first-time restaurant for us: The California Grill at the Contemporary. After our afternoon swim, we got cleaned up and put on some nicer clothes. Our adr was for 7 o’clock and we made it to the Boardwalk bus stop at 6. We took the bus to Magic Kingdom and walked the rest of the way to the Contemporary. We found our way to the restaurant check-in podium outside of the elevator bank, and even though we were a few minutes early they took us right away.

I had my camera ready and started snapping away as soon as we got into the place. Just inside the entry area and to the left, is the bar. I believe you can be seated there as a walk-up, if you don’t have a reservation. But of course you still have to be admitted by the hostess at the elevator on the ground floor.

IMG_9258_zpsuf7isckz.jpg

To the right are some tables at end of the restaurant towards the Magic Kingdom. The exit doors at the far-end of this picture lead to the terrace.

IMG_9259_zpsziqakbtj.jpg

We were led past the bar, to the other end of the restaurant. Our friendly waiter took a picture of us once we were seated.

IMG_9260_zpsmtnvr3zl.jpg

We were near the area where the waiters pick up the plated dishes. You know, where cooks cook and waiters wait.

IMG_9261_zpsoapx4by4.jpg

A shot of the menu.

IMG_9262_zpswjkphdfb.jpg

Lauren and Marlene were looking lovely across from me, which needed to be photographed.

IMG_9263_zpsprejodpb.jpg

A fancy California Grill napkin.

IMG_9264_zpsccrpk7nw.jpg

This place was super-fancy. They even brought out free rolls for us.

IMG_9265_zpsqxsmo7je.jpg

So, I’ve gotten cleaned-up and gone out to a fancy-schmancy restaurant. What do I order for an appetizer? Meatballs! They sounded good and I wanted to try them!

IMG_9266_zpsyxxqfxu1.jpg

We also got a cheese plate as an appetizer, but I don’t think they have it on the menu as an appetizer. My notes say that we ordered it from the dessert menu. We must have asked our server about a cheese plate and he suggested that.

IMG_9267_zpspr9aggg8.jpg

Here are some descriptions of the cheese selections.

IMG_9268_zpsgxhospks.jpg

The kids, working on the cheese plate. Split among 5 people, nobody gets a lot, but we’re more interested in tasting than getting filled up.

IMG_9269_zpsvuqbw7ai.jpg

We finished off the cheese plate and were relieved to find that these cheeses, even though intended for dessert, had not spoiled our appetite!

For our entrée’s we would all be ordering sushi, which we love, but it also seemed to be a little less expensive than other options on the California Grill menu so it helped to keep the bill in the realm of reasonableness.

James got tuna 4 ways. Pretty amazing, considering none of them was “tuna fish sandwich”.

IMG_9270_zps8xbgd4is.jpg

I went with the pork nigiri. Because bacon.

IMG_9271_zpsimpykdk6.jpg

Yes, there was sushi under those big slabs of pork belly!

Judy’s gluten free sashimi.

IMG_9272_zps8i7l7jyx.jpg

Lauren got a crab and beef Oscar roll (w asparagus).

IMG_9273_zpsffxbckj0.jpg

Marlene also got sashimi, like Judy’s.

IMG_9274_zps4qrami3g.jpg

James diving in.

IMG_9275_zps6qocoqea.jpg

We all enjoyed our meals very much. Mine had to be the best, what with the pork added to it and all. And the atmosphere in the restaurant is really cool – you’re at the top of the Contemporary, people!

The sun was starting to set and cast a nice light behind Marlene.

IMG_9278_zps9s83do7l.jpg

Our waiter was happy to take another picture of us. The lighting was much better than before.

IMG_9279_zpsitxittbr.jpg

For dessert, Judy got a gluten-free chocolate pudding cake.

IMG_9281_zps5ovgwc9z.jpg

The rest of us split a strawberry shortcake with a little smoothie. So delectable!

IMG_9282_zpstonjwzul.jpg

The sky was putting on an amazing show with the sunset and clouds over the Magic Kingdom. I walked over to the windows facing the Magic Kingdom, but my pictures couldn’t do it justice. Someday, I’ll figure out how to do that HDR (High Dynamic Range) photography to capture moments like this.

IMG_9288_zpspllirfkv.jpg

Even from our table, which wasn’t that close to the windows, the sunset was unbelievable and made the ambience in the restaurant incredible.

IMG_9293_zpswowzwzep.jpg

Judy was enjoying herself and looking lovely this evening.

IMG_9295_zpsrrvxaxhk.jpg

continued in next post

continued from previous post

Our plan for after dinner was to catch the fireworks from the Top of the World Lounge, over at Bay Lake Tower. I had timed my reservation time so that we could eat and make our way over there. Our waiter mentioned that we could watch them from the terrace here at the California Grill, which I had never realized. We considered it, but decided to just stick with our plan. Later, I regretted that because we’d seen the fireworks from the Top of the World Lounge before, and being DVC members, we could again anytime. I mentioned that to Judy and she said, “well, we’ll just have to come back to the California Grill sometime!” And actually, I think the policy at the California Grill is to let you back in to view the fireworks if you had dined there earlier that evening, but once we were at the Top of the World Lounge viewing area, we just decided to stay there.

We went over to Bay Lake Tower and made it through the security check to get up to the Top of the World Lounge. They sure do check that you are a DVC member staying on property before they let you up there.

I took a bunch of pictures while waiting for the fireworks to begin. Here are a couple of the Magic Kingdom.

IMG_9298_zpsu3v3geum.jpg

IMG_9299_zpsb5kiqusv.jpg

The Electric Water Parade.

IMG_9301_zpsr6bitsar.jpg

The Monorail.

IMG_9302_zpsmczqgxjs.jpg

James and Judy.

IMG_9306_zpstg6knin8.jpg

I liked how that picture turned out so had James take one of me and Judy.

IMG_9309_zpsrlbd7beq.jpg

Space Mountain.

IMG_9310_zpshbfogab7.jpg

The Contemporary and Monorail.

IMG_9313_zps5qh7sqac.jpg

The castle projection show had begun.

IMG_9315_zpsw7pugvdr.jpg

IMG_9320_zpsveujbkl6.jpg

I took a picture of all of the people watching from the California Grill. Some other time, I may be in that crowd!

IMG_9323_zpsel1ek3fo.jpg

Eventually, Wishes started and I got another chance at getting a Tink photo. It’s still not great, but it may be my best attempt yet.

IMG_9325_zpscvzwzre3.jpg

You’ve all seen plenty of fireworks photos before. I’ll include some of the ones from this evening that I liked, and you can feel free to page down as quickly or slowly as you like!

IMG_9326_zpse8bewi7q.jpg

IMG_9329_zpskostslmk.jpg

IMG_9335_zps10gffusg.jpg

IMG_9336_zpsfr2pld9d.jpg

IMG_9341_zpstadikdzc.jpg

IMG_9343_zpsz3yld14v.jpg

IMG_9348_zpsnrnwrfuu.jpg

IMG_9349_zpsqf5mways.jpg

IMG_9352_zpsbjhsou9n.jpg

IMG_9344_zpsywxl574t.jpg

IMG_9350_zpsbod5jvij.jpg

As we made our way to the monorail, I took a picture of the Mary Blair mural, “Pueblo Village”, in the Contemporary.

IMG_9296_zpsdexyb2p3.jpg

We got back to the suite at about 11, and you would think that would be the end of the day, but not quite. Lauren, who was now 21 and of legal drinking age, wanted to go see what the Atlantic Dance Hall was like. I was curious too (and of course couldn’t let her go alone), so while the others climbed into bed, we walked over to Atlantic Dance. It turned out that they were playing all current music and since she had been in a swing dance club at college she was hoping that they would play some more “fun” music. We just people-watched for 2 or 3 songs and then walked back to the suite. But now we know what the inside of that place looks like!

All in all, it was another great day at Disney without even setting foot in a park. All capped off by scrumptious food, enchanting fireworks, and wonderful company.

Up next: Epcot morning

Last edited:
The California Grill at the Contemporary.

Excellent choice!

It's so perfect!

Lauren and Marlene were looking lovely across from me, which needed to be photographed.
Yes, they were!!

Yum!! Is that polenta or grits or something under them?

Nice! Most places at Disney serve only 4 cheeses.

Perfect lighting! Nice shot, Glenn!
Our waiter was happy to take another picture of us. The lighting was much better than before.

IMG_9279_zpsitxittbr.jpg

Totally Christmas card worthy!

:thumbsup2

:worship:

Whoa! Very nice! Love the lighting on this one too.

All in all, it was another great day at Disney without even setting foot in a park. All capped off by scrumptious food, enchanting fireworks, and wonderful company.

I love this about Disney- you can go, never step foot into a park and have a humdinger of a time!

I don't know about that....there are so many other reasons why I'm a great Dad. ;) just kidding.

You are a GREAT DAD! Happy Father's Day a little early.

A different kind of vacation than when they were little!

Very much so.

Here's a review that has some pictures of the inside. I didn't realize they were 2-floor!
https://blog.mouseunlimited.com/2016/12/01/boardwalk-inn-garden-club-room-review/

Wow don't think I'll ever be staying here. They're really cute but a waste of space. If I'm staying somewhere this size I want to be able to more people in it.

Beautiful interior.

Great family shot.

Yes they did!

The kids, working on the cheese plate. Split among 5 people, nobody gets a lot, but we’re more interested in tasting than getting filled up.

They're really diving into that plate.

For our entrée’s we would all be ordering sushi, which we love, but it also seemed to be a little less expensive than other options on the California Grill menu so it helped to keep the bill in the realm of reasonableness.

I'm not a sushi person but I'm glad everyone enjoyed it. My son and his wife love California Grill just for the sushi. My other 2 kids enjoy sushi too. I tried, but no.

The sun was starting to set and cast a nice light behind Marlene.

IMG_9278_zps9s83do7l.jpg

Lovely.

IMG_9279_zpsitxittbr.jpg

I do like this one more.

The rest of us split a strawberry shortcake with a little smoothie. So delectable!

Yum!

Judy was enjoying herself and looking lovely this evening.

Yes she was!

I took a bunch of pictures while waiting for the fireworks to begin. Here are a couple of the Magic Kingdom.

I love all these shots. So cool to see them from a different angle.

James and Judy.

Very nice!

I liked how that picture turned out so had James take one of me and Judy.

Even better!

Eventually, Wishes started and I got another chance at getting a Tink photo. It’s still not great, but it may be my best attempt yet.

Cool. Another great shot from a different angle.

ou’ve all seen plenty of fireworks photos before. I’ll include some of the ones from this evening that I liked, and you can feel free to page down as quickly or slowly as you like!

All great!

This is my favorite.

You really did have a great no park day. There is always so much to do at Disney.

Excellent choice!

We definitely needed to scratch this one off of our “never done” list!

It's so perfect!

I think those light fixture are perfect with Tomorrowland in view outside the windows.

Yes, they were!!

MmHmm.

Yum!! Is that polenta or grits or something under them?

Yes, the menu says grits. You would have figured they would have gone with the fancier sounding “polenta” though, huh?

Nice! Most places at Disney serve only 4 cheeses.

I remember you saying that. C’mon Disney, don’t skimp on the cheeses!

Perfect lighting! Nice shot, Glenn!

There are so many windows, it’s really cool in this restaurant at sundown.

Totally Christmas card worthy!

Dang, how many years back are you allowed to pull out a photo for your Christmas card?

Thank you for those emojis! :)

Whoa! Very nice! Love the lighting on this one too.

Thank you. I noticed that the photo James took of us is a little better in-focus than the one I took...he did a better job holding the camera still!

I love this about Disney- you can go, never step foot into a park and have a humdinger of a time!

Yep, one humdinger was had!

You are a GREAT DAD! Happy Father's Day a little early.

Thanks Vanessa!

Very much so.

You know it well.

Wow don't think I'll ever be staying here. They're really cute but a waste of space. If I'm staying somewhere this size I want to be able to more people in it.

Yeah, it sounds like they really market them toward the honeymooners. (And not the “to the moon, Alice!” variety.)

Beautiful interior.

It really fits the Contemporary theme.

Great family shot.

Thank you.

Yes they did!

Yep!

They're really diving into that plate.

Yeah, they’re taking advantage of me snapping pictures. Snooze, ya lose!

I'm not a sushi person but I'm glad everyone enjoyed it. My son and his wife love California Grill just for the sushi. My other 2 kids enjoy sushi too. I tried, but no.

Judy said she’d never eat it, but then I got her started and she’s never looked back. My whole family likes it except for my son-in-law.

Aw, thanks.

I do like this one more.

Yes, the “golden hour” of photography was at hand, with that soft evening light.

The desserts were good!

Yes she was!

It was a great night to enjoy.

I love all these shots. So cool to see them from a different angle.

Thank you.

Very nice!

Even better!

Thanks again.

Cool. Another great shot from a different angle.

Why, thank you. You’re great for my ego.

All great!

Thanks mucho. If you like fireworks pictures, stay tuned. The next night on this trip had waaaay more, but I don't want to get ahead of myself (which sounds funny since this trip was almost 3 years ago now!).

This is my favorite.

Good pick!

You really did have a great no park day. There is always so much to do at Disney.

I agree. I like to build in a non-park to catch our breath a little, and like you say, there’s certainly no shortage of entertainment!

I wish they all could be California Grills

Welp. Now that's stuck in my head.

But of course you still have to be admitted by the hostess at the elevator on the ground floor.

How do you get past her? Handful of $20's? Retinal scan? Well-placed kick to the shin?

We were led past the bar, to the other end of the restaurant. Our friendly waiter took a picture of us once we were seated.

IMG_9260_zpsmtnvr3zl.jpg

Nice photo. The guy behind you doesn't look happy to be part of the family, though.

So, I’ve gotten cleaned-up and gone out to a fancy-schmancy restaurant. What do I order for an appetizer? Meatballs!

You're on my wavelength.

"Realm of Reasonableness" at Disney being a relative term, of course.

I went with the pork nigiri. Because bacon.

Can't argue with that logic.

The sky was putting on an amazing show with the sunset and clouds over the Magic Kingdom. I walked over to the windows facing the Magic Kingdom, but my pictures couldn’t do it justice.

Even if you aren't happy with the photo, what a view!

Our waiter mentioned that we could watch them from the terrace here at the California Grill, which I had never realized. We considered it, but decided to just stick with our plan. Later, I regretted that because we’d seen the fireworks from the Top of the World Lounge before, and being DVC members, we could again anytime. I mentioned that to Judy and she said, “well, we’ll just have to come back to the California Grill sometime!”

Sound logic.

They sure do check that you are a DVC member staying on property before they let you up there.

Crap.

I like the colors in this one.

I took a picture of all of the people watching from the California Grill. Some other time, I may be in that crowd!

That's a lot of people up there!

Neat perspective--a different angle than we usually get to see.

Glad it was such a good day!

Great trip report! Hoping your family goes again soon to keep trip report updates and puns coming!

Thanks Cowgirl_Jessie, and :welcome:!

We might have something in the works. I really am trying to finish this one up...I think I have one more WDW day to cover and a couple of days at Hilton Head.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!