Birkenstocks for the parks? UPDATE - low back pain?

erin1715

DIS Veteran
We are veterans when it comes to the parks but haven't taken a long summer trip to JUST the parks in a couple years. This summer we will be spending a week there and I'm getting older and the footwear that used to be fine, no longer seem to work. I used to alternate between sneakers and Nike flip flops. However, I don't think flip flops are going to give me enough support any longer. I seem to have lower back pain/tightening which is more irritated by standing in line than walking.

I really want to try Birks because I love the look and I would wear them at home, but I am concerned about summer showers in Florida. I would alternate between sandals and sneakers at Disney.

I've also got my eye on Chacos and Merrells for the parks, but I likely would never wear them at home or anywhere else.

Anyone have advice for wearing Birks in the parks during summer?

I have a good flipflop option, I like OluKai which you can get from Amazon or REI. They are cute, and the non-leather ones hold up well in the rain. Plus they actually have arch support. I'm actually considering another pair in a different color I love them so much! https://www.rei.com/product/812902/olukai-ohana-flip-flops-womens

Those are going on my "maybe" list now too! They are very cute and the foot bed looks good. Those ARE something I would wear all summer long at home....thanks!

Not sure what kind of birks you have but whenever I walk around a long time in mine they really hurt the bottom of my feet because of the texture of the sole, but I know some peoples are worn out a lot and don't do that!

I like my Birks but I'm not sure yet how they will do far the parks. I've never walked and stood all day in them. A few hours is much different than a full day.
I'm also concerned with the possibility of summer rain. I'm considering a pair of Tevas as a potential rainy day sandal.

I had a bad case of plantar fasciitis 10+ years age. I ended up buying a pair of Birkenstocks, and I have been wearing them ever since. I do wear Birkenstock clogs and sandals at Disney. At home my favorites are the single strap Madrid, but for heavy walking like a day at Disney I go for the two straps style. Hard foot bed for me. I tried the soft foot bed once and it didn't have the support I needed. Whatever you get you should break it in for at least a month at home before you go. good luck!

Rain, it poured on our last trip, not a big deal. All sandals get squishy in drenching rain. I do bring two pairs of birkies sandals when traveling . For switching off or for wet shoes. But they do dry overnight.

I had the same dilemma. I bought a pair of Dansko flops to switch in and out, with my Birks. They are both soooo comfortable for flat feet.

Birkenstocks and Olukais all the way here! Note with Birks, make sure they are broken in and comfortable for your feet before you go to WDW. The straps wear and stretch differently for different people. Olukais, otoh, are good to go right away, for me. I wear them all the time at home.

I've used Keens and Tevas and they are fine but not as good as the Olukais and Birks.

Thank you for your honesty! I have heard several people rave about the Olukais. I will have to invest in a pair. I am a flip flop lover and can't be without them, even in Disney.

Thank you for your honesty! I have heard several people rave about the Olukais. I will have to invest in a pair. I am a flip flop lover and can't be without them, even in Disney.

The one thing with them is that I needed to go up from a 7 to an 8 because of the way the arch support hit my arches... I'd recommend getting them from REI if you can because if you get them home and wear them for a week and decide you want / need a different size you can return them and get a different size. But the size 8 is great and I love them so much that I'm considering a second pair so I do highly recommend them.

I can't speak to Birkenstock but I have two pair of Chacos that I love. I too have plantar fasciitis and live in these from spring to fall. When they get dirty I can just throw them in the washing machine.

I usually alternate between Birks and Asics for the parks. Also my pair of Rocketdog flips for testing pool. Just make sure all are broken in as sore feet are not good for Disney. And don't forget blister band aids...seems like when we don't pack them is when we need them.

I wear vionics ( non suede footbed) year round. Awesome support heel and arch , great styles and an orthotic without the look of one. Never a blister and I wear them for the whole park vacation. Wouldn't be without them.

+1 to Olukai. I have a pair of the Ohana and I'm going to need more in all the colors :laughing:

In addition to the above stores, you can also buy them on shoes.com, which often has sales and promo codes. 30% off seems to happen every week

We are veterans when it comes to the parks but haven't taken a long summer trip to JUST the parks in a couple years. This summer we will be spending a week there and I'm getting older and the footwear that used to be fine, no longer seem to work. I used to alternate between sneakers and Nike flip flops. However, I don't think flip flops are going to give me enough support any longer. I seem to have lower back pain/tightening which is more irritated by standing in line than walking.

I really want to try Birks because I love the look and I would wear them at home, but I am concerned about summer showers in Florida. I would alternate between sandals and sneakers at Disney.

I've also got my eye on Chacos and Merrells for the parks, but I likely would never wear them at home or anywhere else.

I wear Tevas. They're similar to Birkenstocks, but they're waterproof, which is critical for touring parks in the summer rain.

I love Birkenstocks, but I would say Chacos! They're made to stay on your feet and can tighten or loosen if your feet need it. Birkenstocks, at least the ones with which I'm familiar, have no strap on the back and can easily slip off, which is not good for getting in and out of rides.

I LOVE my Birkenstocks. The flip-flop style I have are called Gizeh and the clogs are Boston. I wear the flip-flops in the parks, all day - but not every day. I will alternate between those and Asics (Nimbus) running shoes. This year I took a chance and bought Vionic flip-flops online and I love those, too - they have just enough cushion but are supportive.

However, I've been wearing Birk's for about 20 years (not the same pair), so my feet are used to them. And, the ones I take to the parks are not brand new. I would not wear very worn-out ones, though, because they get slick on the bottom.

If you are going to buy Birk's, don't buy your first pair online. These are shoes that you need to try on because of the molded footbed.

Someone earlier mentioned Birk's and rain - yes, the suede lining the footbed can get yucky, but they do dry quickly! Have fun!

Birkenstocks are ok if they get somewhat wet in rain, I've worn them for years in and out of rain and they hold up fine..... If it's drenching all day downpours I usually switch out to Teva Mush flip flops though since they're really comfortable and good at anti skid- just don't wear crocs in the rain....SUPER slippery soles

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!