BLACK PANTHER

disneyjunkie

DIS Veteran
Any DISers planning to SEE BLACK PANTHER this weekend?

I'm going to see it tonight, tomorrow and Monday. :dogdance::car:

Planning on seeing it on Sunday at our local Picturehouse (read: plush cinema)

We saw it this afternoon. We all enjoyed it. No school here today and DD was home from college today. Got the tickets last weekend. Every seat was taken. DH said he would see it again. There is two trailers, FYI.

What is up with this movie? Why the weird social media war with "fake news" about people attacking each other at showings? I'm not exactly "finger on the pulse" of pop culture so I'm genuinely asking. :confused:

What is up with this movie? Why the weird social media war with "fake news" about people attacking each other at showings? I'm not exactly "finger on the pulse" of pop culture so I'm genuinely asking. :confused:

It might be hard to get into here without crossing any lines, but in a nutshell? There's more overlap than you might think between "geek" subculture and some of the more toxic elements that have come out of the shadows of our society in the last few years. And where that overlap exists, there is a group of individuals who are heavily invested in "discrediting" Black Panther and diminishing its early success and strong reviews. They want this to be an "affirmative action" movie, a mediocre flick that execs green-lit to pacify demands for diversity, not a genuinely good superhero flick that just happens to have a black hero and elements drawn from African culture. Because when it comes right down to it, they view geek culture as the domain of white men and are threatened/offended by "incursions" into that culture by black- and female-led projects.

There were similar conversations around Netflix's Luke Cage, but not nearly on the same scale because that was only a semi-popular streaming show, not a major-release movie with all the buzz that comes with the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

It might be hard to get into here without crossing any lines, but in a nutshell? There's more overlap than you might think between "geek" subculture and some of the more toxic elements that have come out of the shadows of our society in the last few years. And where that overlap exists, there is a group of individuals who are heavily invested in "discrediting" Black Panther and diminishing its early success and strong reviews. They want this to be an "affirmative action" movie, a mediocre flick that execs green-lit to pacify demands for diversity, not a genuinely good superhero flick that just happens to have a black hero and elements drawn from African culture. Because when it comes right down to it, they view geek culture as the domain of white men and are threatened/offended by "incursions" into that culture by black- and female-led projects.

There were similar conversations around Netflix's Luke Cage, but not nearly on the same scale because that was only a semi-popular streaming show, not a major-release movie with all the buzz that comes with the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
:wave2: Thanks for trying! I know practically nothing about any of the bolded above, so I can't say I really understand. (Like you, I imagine my short-take would probably not be acceptable here.) I only asked because I was looking at buzzfeed briefly today and there were a number of stories featuring the "fake news" reports of assults.

I cant wait to see it. We have too much going on this week; DS19 and I are really hoping there are still English showings in the local theatres next weeK (I want to hear the actual actor's voices)

I am impressed---well done with explaining it quickly and in DIS acceptable ways.

How was it OP? After the last couple Marvel (Civil War and Spiderman) movies I swore off seeing anymore, but the trailer of this one looks really good and I really like Michael B Jordan.

How was it OP? After the last couple Marvel (Civil War and Spiderman) movies I swore off seeing anymore, but the trailer of this one looks really good and I really like Michael B Jordan.

It was amazing.

In my opinion, it is the best Marvel movie thus far.
I absolutely loved the costumes. The action scenes had me on the edge of my seat.

They hit this one out of the park

It was amazing.

In my opinion, it is the best Marvel movie thus far.
I absolutely loved the costumes. The action scenes had me on the edge of my seat.

They hit this one out of the park

Sounds like I should go see it then. From the trailer I was thinking that the costuming looks oscar worthy and I always love a good *** kicking army made up of women

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!