Blackberry yeast bread?

Kermit

New Mama to Baby Jacob!
I'm trying to find a recipe for blackberry bread that's a yeast bread, not a quick bread. Does anyone have a recipe or know where I can find one? I've checked all of my bookmarked recipe sites, and I checked the King Arthur Flour site. A recipe for blueberry bread that uses yeast would be fine, too, because I'm sure I could substitute blackberries without any problems.

Thanks!

I'm looking for you too, but do have a question or two.

Have you ever had this?

At what point and how do you plan to incorporate the berries, as you will not be able to knead them in.

Are you going to make it like a stuffed or rolled bread? If so you could use a sweet dough or whatever is it your liking and do it that way.

I'll keep checking to see what I may come up with.

I'm now very interested in what you are going to do with this.

I have had it before, but I've never made it. The one that I had seemed like it was stirred in because it was spread throughout, but now that you mention it, I'm not sure how it was done without making a mess. The bread had swirls of blue and white. Maybe if I worked the berries in after I did most of the kneeding.

I never thought about just doing a filling. I guess I could just put blackberry pie filling in the middle of a braided loaf of bread. I really wanted to serve it at a brunch I'm having the day before my sister's wedding, and I have to have most of the food frozen ahead of time because the bridesmaid's breakfast is 2 hours before the brunch, but I think that would freeze okay. Thanks for the idea!

Here are two to play with:

Blueberry Braid
Makes 2 loaves

5 to 5 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 packages FLEISCHMANN'S RapidRise Yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon finely shredded orange peel
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup milk
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 large eggs
Blueberry Filling (recipe follows)
1 egg yolk plus 1 tablespoon milk

Directions
In large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, salt, orange peel and cinnamon. Heat milk, orange juice, and butter until very warm (120 to 130oF). Stir into dry ingredients. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add eggs and 1 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
Divide dough in half; divide each half into 3 equal portions. Roll each to 20 x 6-inch rectangle. Spread Blueberry Filling evenly. Beginning at long end, roll each up tightly as for jelly roll. Pinch seams to seal to form ropes. Braid ropes; place on greased baking sheets. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Brush with egg mixture.

Bake at 350o F for 30 to 35 minutes or until done. Remove from sheets; cool on wire rack.

Blueberry Filling: Combine 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, 1 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup water in medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very thick. Stir in 3 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 3 tablespoons water; cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Let cool.

Nutrition Information
Nutrition Information per Serving: Serving size: 1 slice (1/24 of recipe) Calories: 195 Total fat: 5 g Saturated fat: 3 g Cholesterol: 38 mg Sodium: 148 mg Carbohydrates: 34 g Dietary Fiber: 1 g Protein: 4 g

Blueberry Apricot

Served as breakfast bread or as a mid-day snack, Blueberry Apricot Bread is sure to become a family favorite in your home. Makes 1 loaf.

2 1/4 cups bread flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 envelope FLEISCHMANN'S RapidRise Yeast
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 egg, large
1/3 cup dried blueberries
1/3 cup fresh blueberries
1/3 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots

Directions
In a large bowl, combine 3/4 cup flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, lemon peel, and salt. Heat milk, water, and butter until very warm (120 to 130oF). Gradually add to dry ingredients. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add egg and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed. Stir in remaining flour, blueberries and apricots to make a stiff batter. Spread evenly in greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pan. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Bake at 375oF for 30 to 35 minutes or until done. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack.

This second one sounds like it just might work.

Good luck

I got both of these from http://www.breadworld.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter