blew points and need help fixing....

glencoe

DIS Veteran
Background: Own BLT both direct/resale March use year.

So here it is, I used up all '17 and only have 106 left for '18. I need to book a grand villa for my daughters sweet 16 August 18'. We are planning 3 nights/4 days so I am short 156 (lake view)-200 (MK view)

Understanding use year/points, I am to understand that if I try to book y 11 month window this september, I can't borrow from 19' until after March 1st?
In my disney clouded head I assumed that if the trip will be Aug. '18 after my March use year I could book it depending on those '19 points? Although I have been DVC for 5 years, I never had such a chunk of points to be having this much fun and didn't realize I put myself in such a pickle!!!

So suggestions?
  • I am open to rent/transfer if that is my only option. Is one better than the other?
  • Do I do Davids or use on here?
  • How far in advance of my Sept. booking window should I start this transaction
  • Or in a perfect world would I be able to book this trip in Sept. dependant on the full '19 points coming?
TIA as usual!!!

If your trip is August 2018, your 11 month window is September 2017 and you can borrow your March 2019 points into your 2018 UY at that time. You don't have to wait until March 1, 2018.

The points have to be available in your account for the dates of your stay.

:earsboy: Bill

The points aren't "coming"; they're already there. You just can't use them until their corresponding UY or via banking/borrowing as needed.

Remember, it's a time share, so you already own that tiny little sliver of time at the property from now until the deed expires.

Ok, not sure if I am understanding all of you.....I am booking this Sept. (11 mos window) for Aug. '18. If I look at my dashboard all I see available is 2018- 106 points. It doesn't show my "19 points. So are they available for the booking window of Sept. or not? Or will they not be available to book something until March 1 of 2018?

You definitely can use your March 2019 points to book your August 2018 vacation. You can book right at your 11 month window.

I have already borrowed some of my 2019 March UY points to book AKV concierge for May 2018.

Ok, not sure if I am understanding all of you.....I am booking this Sept. (11 mos window) for Aug. '18. If I look at my dashboard all I see available is 2018- 106 points. It doesn't show my "19 points. So are they available for the booking window of Sept. or not? Or will they not be available to book something until March 1 of 2018?
You don't have to wait until your use year month to book reservations.

For your March 2018 points, you can HAVE a reservation between March 1, 2018 through February 28 , 2019.

For example, You can book March 1, 2018 reservation on April 1, 2017 at 11 month booking window at your home resort.

If you want, you can also borrow from March 2019 for any reservation between March 1, 2018 and February 28, 2019.

It sounds like you will join some of us dis'ers who are always borrowing points. That's when you add on:o
Happy planning
Kerri

If I look at my dashboard all I see available is 2018- 106 points. It doesn't show my "19 points.

Select "my vacation points" from the menu or click "manage vacation points" just above the point values on that dashboard screen. You'll be able to see your points balance up to 2020 on that screen, with future years being added as we all get older....

Agree with above post. Make sure you click on each year individually to see points for that use year. You are not seeing points for 2019 unless you click on it.

Yes, points are always there...well, until you use them!!! LOL Everything is based on the UY of the trip and not when you call. So, your Aug 2018 trip is in your 2018 UY...that means when you call in September, to "pay" for it, you can used banked 2017 points (if you had them), 2018 points, and borrow 2019 UY points to complete the reservation. So, providing your contracts have what you need in the 2019 UY, you should be all set!!

Points are deposited into your account 3 years in advance. 2020 is being added this year. Mainly because cruises can be booked 2 years in advance.

It sounds like you will join some of us dis'ers who are always borrowing points. That's when you add on:o
Happy planning
Kerri

I have already added two contracts in the last two years totalling an additional 320 points!! LOL

You don't have to wait until your use year month to book reservations.

For your March 2018 points, you can HAVE a reservation between March 1, 2018 through February 28 , 2019.

For example, You can book March 1, 2018 reservation on April 1, 2017 at 11 month booking window at your home resort.

If you want, you can also borrow from March 2019 for any reservation between March 1, 2018 and February 28, 2019.

I know i have my full points from all contracts in 19' it is no my dashboard, however I did not think I could access them for a reservation since I want to book Sept. 18' well before my march use year. This is where the whole use year and point access just confuses me!! I know the points will be available to use in Aug. 18' when the trip occurs, I just was not sure I could book a trip before the UY hit.
Thanks for the help!!

I have already added two contracts in the last two years totalling an additional 320 points!! LOL

I know i have my full points from all contracts in 19' it is no my dashboard, however I did not think I could access them for a reservation since I want to book Sept. 18' well before my march use year. This is where the whole use year and point access just confuses me!! I know the points will be available to use in Aug. 18' when the trip occurs, I just was not sure I could book a trip before the UY hit.
Thanks for the help!!
You're thinking about this backwards. First, determine when your trip is. It's in your 2018 use year. In that use year, you can use banked 2017 points, current 2018 points, and borrowed 2019 points. There are no stipulations or limitations based on use year. Then, figure out when you can book based on the 11 month window.

So , yes, you can borrow 2019 points for a trip in your 2018 use year and book it at 11 months.

OP, IMHO, get yourself together a spreadsheet that covers at least three years worth of points.
You can include items such as:
UY
currently booked vacations
planned vacations
reservation numbers
Some like to include the room number where they stayed and any special event that happened.
etc
As PP stated it is when you travel that the points must be available not when you book.

OP, IMHO, get yourself together a spreadsheet that covers at least three years worth of points.
You can include items such as:
UY
currently booked vacations
planned vacations
reservation numbers
Some like to include the room number where they stayed and any special event that happened.
etc
As PP stated it is when you travel that the points must be available not when you book.

Oh no! Not a spreadsheet???o_O True that would organize everything if I actually had paid attention to those Excel lessons from well meaning people at work!! I work with someone who has this down...I should ask for his template!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!