Blown Away By Some of the ADR Cancellations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just gotta do the best you can, and roll with it. Adjust if it becomes necessary.

I guess this is how I feel.

To me, you make an educated guess about what parks when and book your ADRs. Then if you really, really feel the need to change your plans, you look for something new (understanding there might not be as many options), book it and let the old one go. Not book up everything you can just in case. That just feels ... rude... to me.

But maybe it's just me.

To me, you make an educated guess about what parks when and book your ADRs.

I would completely agree with this sentiment if you actually plan at the 180 day mark (which is just ridiculous to have to). Many people do not have that option due to a number of varying circumstances. If you even try to plan 3-4 months out, you will be scraping the bottom of the barrel for ADRs. Maybe a better fix to the system would be to change the ADRs to be 60 days out like the FP+. Then you could do all of your planning at once and people wouldn't have to decide where they want to eat a half a year out....

Wouldn't bother me if Disney capped 180 ADRs bookings based on length of resort stay. ie 4 days gets you 12 slots. (Extra slots given pending proof of Hobbit status and 2nd Breakfast requirements.)
With a little wiggle room for arrival and departure meals. Flame away... :)

Wouldn't bother me if Disney capped 180 ADRs bookings based on length of resort stay. ie 4 days gets you 12 slots. (Extra slots given pending proof of Hobbit status and 2nd Breakfast requirements.)
One of the issues is that people make ADRs with multiple accounts.

One of the issues is that people make ADRs with multiple accounts.

And sometimes how they book. I was using the MDE app on my new Note 8, and it let me book a second reservation for a similar time (8:55 and 9:30) without having to cancel the other. I will be cancelling one of them once I decide which I prefer, but just giving an example.

:D...One of DGD's family nicknames is "the Hobbit". On the weekends it takes her a full four hour minimum to eat her breakfast in courses, no less. I think the sight of the average American buffet would frighten her hunger-less because it would be too much food in view at one time, LOL. Still, note to self: check her toes for fur maintenance....

I think DW already caps the ability to make ADRs only within your hotel stay or am I misunderstanding what you mean?

This is certainly not a new debate here and just reflects individual ideas of what is right or wrong. I don't blame Disney, but for better or possibly worse, Disney did create this situation. They set the rules of booking both ADRs and FPs, and they set the schedules - all in wildly different timeframes of eachother. If the DW PTB thought ADR hoarding was truly a problem, they would have fixed it awhile ago. From their perspective, everyone has the option to eat somewhere in the parks, even if it's not where they wanted, just like everyone will be able to get FPs, even if they aren't for the rides they wanted. There are not enough seats at BOG/Ohana/CRT/whathaveyou for everyone who wants to eat there on a particular day/time. That's reality and no amount of pixie dust creates more space in those restaurants. When you put all of this into a pot and stir it together, you get both minor and major league ADR hoarding. Besides this there was never a guarantee that even at 180+10 anyone will get the reservation they want at the time they want. And remember, there are many hundreds of people also booking ADRs at the same time as us who are not hoarding ADRs.

I have never had a problem getting what I wanted even when booking last minute trips. With enough persistence and flexibility, if the ADR is that important, it almost always can be found. The problem is most people don't want to give up something to gain that ADR. It's just another form of selfishness. And yes we are all selfish, and no, it isn't necessarily a bad thing. We all want to have the best vacation we can plan. We want those awesome FPs and we want to eat in all the best restaurants and we want it to be around our own schedules. You and me and thousands of our closest DW friends all want this.

Anyway, I just decided two days ago to go to Disney the beginning of March (yay!), booked my resort and set about finding BOG. Within two days I've secured both a lunch and a dinner, on the first day and last day of my short trip. I'm not going to do both. I put in the effort to find those ADRs and will continue to hold them both until my plans solidify. I feel zero remorse.

I get the frustration when people seem to be hoarding multiple hard to get ADRs on the same day or over a period of days, but I don't get too mad about it, because a) I don't believe it is the norm, and b) who has the right (aside from WDW) to decide what is an acceptable amount of ADRs to hold? Maybe 3 meals at one restaurant on a single day seems excessive, but what happens when someone arbitrarily dictates an "acceptable" number of ADRs that are less than what anyone here wants to have? See the dilemma here? I've read several ideas of what would be "acceptable" solutions, and some of them don't seem very fair to me either.

I think the worst thing I saw was someone posting here indicating that they had booked a bunch of BoGs reservations because they saw them out there and they wanted to "save" them for Disers.

They didn't actually want the reservations, they just didn't want someone to book them that wasn't a Dis'er.

Last trip in March of 2016 we booked two BOG Lunches at day and time of our choosing. Upcoming trip in November we can't find a single BOG for any time the week we are there. Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner. We have Touring plans alerts set up and have only gotten one at 4am and missed it.

Someone who expects a person to book ADR's based on how *they* think it should be done has just as high a sense of entitlement (perhaps more so) than those booking the extra ADR's.

I've been on both sides booking early and late and it seems silly to me to ridicule people's booking habits. If you are looking for a BOG 2 months out you are going to have to fight for it regardless. All the people who book extras could cancel simultaneously and they will still be fully booked shortly thereafter. There are simply more people that want to eat at BOG, CRT, etc than they have seats for.

Last edited:
Someone who expects a person to book ADR's based on how *they* think it should be done has just as high a sense of entitlement (perhaps more so) than those booking the extra ADR's.

I've been on both sides booking early and late and it seems silly to me to ridicule people's booking habits. If you are looking for a BOG 2 months out you are going to have to fight for it regardless. All the people who book extras could cancel simultaneously and they will still be fully booked shortly thereafter. There are simply more people that want to eat at BOG, CRT, etc than they have seats for.

I couldn't disagree more. To me there is very little difference between booking multiple ADRs with no intention of using them all, and ticket scalpers scooping up tickets they have no intention of using. You are hoarding a limited resource with no intent to use all of what you have taken. Can it be done? Sure. Should it be done? Not so much.

I guess I don't subscribe to the As Long As I Can Get Mine way of doing things. Book what you are pretty sure you will use, and leave the rest of the ADRs for people who truly want them. Not might want them in case it rains on the day I have scheduled, or in case little Timmy has a cold that day, or........

It is tough when people have jobs where they can’t stalk ADRs all day long. Thank the Lord for our medical workers, police, teachers etc who can’t be attached to a cellphone 24/7 trying to get a few reservations.

It is tough when people have jobs where they can’t stalk ADRs all day long. Thank the Lord for our medical workers, police, teachers etc who can’t be attached to a cellphone 24/7 trying to get a few reservations.
Oh, for goodness sakes!

I think most people can't be attached to their cell phones all day long.

I'm a teacher. I've got CRT and BOG 2 weeks before but worst case scenario cosmic rays is quite tasty =D

For those of you with the argument that "It's Disney's fault for allowing it", or that "Others do it too, or that "Then we list them on the board for other members", all I have to say is "Just because you can, does not mean you should nor does listing them here before canceling justify it".

The Disboards do not willingly allow members to take advantage in many regards such as not allowing listings for reservations for rent more than 30 days out or not allowing DVC reservations acquired through RCI to be listed for rent. I'm assuming it is because it considers it taking advantage of the system for personal gain and an unfair thing to do. Even though Disney allows DVC members to rent their non-RCI reservations out as far in advance as they wish, Disboards does not allow it's website to be used for something that is unfair.
I see the practice of booking multiple ADR's that you know in advance you will NEVER keep as taking advantage of the system also. I know that the Disboards cannot stop people from doing this. I know many will be upset with this post, but when you are guilty of doing this very thing, you will argue that it is ok. I know in my heart that it is not ok to ever take advantage just because you can.

I have come back to this, because I am now within 30 days of my trip, so all my ADRs and FPs are booked. And I have made ONE error. I have a sci fi meal that clashes with a Fantasmic FP. Ah well, if I can't move the Sci fi meal back a bit, then we'll have to skip Fanstasmic. I am annoyed to find myself stalking a reservation. But, since we have never seen Fanstasmic and Sci fi is my son's big request, such is life. Everything else has just fitted in, with no need to hoard.

I solved my clash by swapping my FP+
Now, we have a toy story mania FP instead of Fantasmic, and the ADR works, and no clashes. And We will watch a load of light shows and fireworks, so, we're all good.

I couldn't disagree more. To me there is very little difference between booking multiple ADRs with no intention of using them all, and ticket scalpers scooping up tickets they have no intention of using. You are hoarding a limited resource with no intent to use all of what you have taken. Can it be done? Sure. Should it be done? Not so much.

I guess I don't subscribe to the As Long As I Can Get Mine way of doing things. Book what you are pretty sure you will use, and leave the rest of the ADRs for people who truly want them. Not might want them in case it rains on the day I have scheduled, or in case little Timmy has a cold that day, or........

:worship:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!