BLT Question

SRUAlmn

DIS Veteran
I posted this on the CR/BLT Resort Thread, and KOOK suggested I post over here to see if anyone can help:

"Ok, so I'm wondering if someone can help me figure something out. We were aiming to stay on cash at BLT in a 2 bedroom TPV villa the third week of July next year (right when value season starts.) We have been watching June and early July and things have been abundantly available at the 11 month mark from the check out day. This held true for a month. All of a sudden, you can't book ANYTHING past July 10. We went ahead and booked July 3-10 just so we'll have something and we are so excited and being there for the 4th is always fun, however, saving $1500 for the week by going in value season would be fun too . Does anyone have any idea why all of a sudden the booking won't show anything being available past July 10? DVC seasons are different, right? So people didn't book in late July bc it was less points and that would explain the fully booked status? I'm so dumbfounded! It's also VERY odd that it's still showing massive availability for July 3-10, but not as much (if anything) for all the dates around that. I really hope it's not a computer error! Once we've booked, we're good, right!?"

It is now showing a little availability through July 11, but still nothing after. Anyone have any idea why this would be?

Thank you! :thumbsup2

If I understand correctly, you are trying to book a cash reservation at BLT beginning July 11, 2014.

Be aware that the inventory of villas available for cash reservations is different from the inventory available to DVC members to book using DVC points. The former is owned and controlled by Disney. It can set whatever parameters it deems fit regarding when these villas are made available to guests for cash reservations. Disney may want to hold back some of its cash inventory at BLT for various reasons, including wanting to gauge demand at other resorts before it sets prices and/or cash discounts at BLT.

The inventory that DVC members can book using points is limited by the Home Resort booking period, which is 11 months into future from the current date. Right now, BLT owners can book stays at BLT that have check-in dates beginning July 24, 2014.

Since the two inventories are different, its possible to see villas available in one inventory but not available in the other inventory.

If I understand correctly, you are trying to book a cash reservation at BLT beginning July 11, 2014.

Be aware that the inventory of villas available for cash reservations is different from the inventory available to DVC members to book using DVC points. The former is owned and controlled by Disney. It can set whatever parameters it deems fit regarding when these villas are made available to guests for cash reservations. Disney may want to hold back some of its cash inventory at BLT for various reasons, including wanting to gauge demand at other resorts before it sets prices and/or cash discounts at BLT.

The inventory that DVC members can book using points is limited by the Home Resort booking period, which is 11 months into future from the current date. Right now, BLT owners can book stays at BLT that have check-in dates beginning July 24, 2014.

Since the two inventories are different, its possible to see villas available in one inventory but not available in the other inventory.

Thank you, I was aware that the two inventories were separate and that only 10% (I believe) of the inventory is available for cash reservations. That's why we were so surprised when all the dates in June and early July 2014 had a TON of availability at the 11 month mark from the check out date. We've just been watching dates up until now. We are actually trying to book July 17-24 which is during Value 2 season and is $1500 more affordable than the June and early July dates, however, we booked July 3-10 just so we'd have something, and I guess I'm glad we did because nothing is showing up now past July 11.

Just checked again, and now it's finally going through the 14. It was an exact science for a month in which it would let you see availability 11 months from the check out date, but now it seems to be 11 months and 10 days from the check out date?

Thank you, I was aware that the two inventories were separate and that only 10% (I believe) of the inventory is available for cash reservations. That's why we were so surprised when all the dates in June and early July 2014 had a TON of availability at the 11 month mark from the check out date.

Disney owns at least 2% of the inventory at each DVC resort. For some resorts, it owns much more, but at BLT it only owns about 2.3%. Its inventory increases whenever DVC members exchange their points for accommodations outside of the DVC resort system, such as for cruises, RCI, etc. Disney takes those points and will try to rent the underlying BLT accommodations to cash guests.

Even though Disney may only hold about 2% of BLT's inventory, it can be flexible as to when it uses it for cash reservations. It could grab more than its fair share during one period and, in exchange, let DVC members have access to its share during other periods. Thus, it could look like Disney has a lot of cash inventory during certain periods, or no cash inventory during others.

Disney owns at least 2% of the inventory at each DVC resort. For some resorts, it owns much more, but at BLT it only owns about 2.3%. Its inventory increases whenever DVC members exchange their points for accommodations outside of the DVC resort system, such as for cruises, RCI, etc. Disney takes those points and will try to rent the underlying BLT accommodations to cash guests.

Even though Disney may only hold about 2% of BLT's inventory, it can be flexible as to when it uses it for cash reservations. It could grab more than its fair share during one period and, in exchange, let DVC members have access to its share during other periods. Thus, it could look like Disney has a lot of cash inventory during certain periods, or no cash inventory during others.

And that would make sense that they'd make it highly available during a more expensive season and limited during a more affordable season. Thanks! I'm starting to understand all the logistics :)

OP, why don't you rent points and book it via DVC (can rent through David's @ $14pp for 472 points for 7/10-17)...might save you some $$$? July 3-10 would cost the same # of points.

....(snip)..... That's why we were so surprised when all the dates in June and early July 2014 had a TON of availability at the 11 month mark from the check out date. .......

Wondering how you knew that there was a "TON of availability".

DVC members cannot tell how many rooms are available and AFAIK, the online booking system for cash doesn't indicate the number of available rooms either. It's possible that you saw availability that represented just 1 villa available for your dates and villa type.

OP, why don't you rent points and book it via DVC (can rent through David's @ $14pp for 472 points for 7/10-17)...might save you some $$$? July 3-10 would cost the same # of points.

We are not interested in renting points. Thank you for the suggestion, though.

ETA: I thought I should clarify why so you didn't think I was being rude and brushing your suggestion off :) We can't afford to pay it all upfront, and we're hoping for an AP discount which would put the price lower than renting points. We are also not comfortable with the no cancellation policy, and I know you can buy trip insurance, but it's just not something we're looking into as an option right now. Thanks, though!

Wondering how you knew that there was a "TON of availability".

DVC members cannot tell how many rooms are available and AFAIK, the online booking system for cash doesn't indicate the number of available rooms either. It's possible that you saw availability that represented just 1 villa available for your dates and villa type.

By TON I meant every single room category was showing availability (or sometimes all but one.) Even after we booked our 2 bedroom TPV, it was still showing availability for those dates and that room type.

Now it's allowing bookings through a check out date of July 26, however, only standard view studio, 1BR, and 2BRs are showing availability.

I know I keep updating and I'm the only one who cares, haha, but it will be good to look back on and see which dates each category & date span opened on. Today it lets you go through July 19 and shows availability in almost all room categories.

As of yesterday, almost all categories were open through a check out date of July 22. I feel so lame to keep posting when no one is reading this, but my hope is that it will help anyone else trying to do this in the future since there are NO threads like this that exist, and every answer I found said there's just no rhyme or reason to it.

As of yesterday, almost all categories were open through a check out date of July 22. I feel so lame to keep posting when no one is reading this, but my hope is that it will help anyone else trying to do this in the future since there are NO threads like this that exist, and every answer I found said there's just no rhyme or reason to it.

It really doesn't affect us on the DVC Boards because almost all of us are using points. On the Resorts Board, they might want to hear your running commentary.

It really doesn't affect us on the DVC Boards because almost all of us are using points. On the Resorts Board, they might want to hear your running commentary.

Good point...sorry to bug everyone :) I wonder if I could get a mod to move it?

Great idea! Thanks. Sorry to 'mess up' the DVC board :)

Nah, you aren't messing up the DVC boards. You are welcome to come over here anytime and post. Good luck with your BLT stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter