Blue bayou- no soup or salad?

Oh, boy. Gottalovepluto, please get back to us when you get a response.
I have to say that when I posted earlier I wasn't feeling confidant in the answer I got because of the posts I've read that have been contrary to it. We love BB's atmosphere but if a starter does not come with the (now smaller) monte cristo then...maybe Cafe Orleans is making more sense for us. DDs have been looking forward to it so much. It's a highlight for us. How much do you overlook?
The most disappointing response ever from their Twitter team "Please speak with a Cast Member when you arrive. They will be able to assist further." What The Heck?

ETA: this sums it up for me! I give up! http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Q...k26Yo2T4g/w506-h375/captainhookfliptables.gif

....wait? So you can order starter with dessert? That would be wonderful, because we've never gone there before because we've never really cared for the selections on the menu (plus it's pricey if you're not going to enjoy the food).
There were some reports of people who could not order a starter without ordering an entree so we don't know for sure. :confused:

The most disappointing response ever from their Twitter team "Please speak with a Cast Member when you arrive. They will be able to assist further." What The Heck?

ETA: this sums it up for me! I give up! http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Q...k26Yo2T4g/w506-h375/captainhookfliptables.gif

That certainly is a disappointing response. We've decided to move our reservation to Cafe Orleans. I don't think I'd do that if I was able to get an honest, straight answer about their policy that matches the experience of recent visitors.

I remember when you had to rush over there to get a reservation first thing and within an hour they were all gone, and now its never more than half full. Wonder if this is a move to get people back into the restaurant.

Howdy....I'm the one who posted that the MC sandwich doesn't come with a soup or salad anymore at BB. I wonder if Disney Dining is saying that the other main entrees (not sandwiches) are the things that come with the starter.....but FOR SURE MC sandwiches do not come with them anymore. Sad. We were also really surprised by how small the sandwiches are now. Last time, with the soup/salad starter, we could not finish the sandwich, and ended up taking half for dinner. We thought it was a fantastic deal for the price. But now, without the starter, and the small sandwich, we had no leftovers, and weren't really all that full after lunch. Maybe they hope you will have room for dessert, lol!
I tried going through Yelp to find a recent Monte Cristo picture at BB and saw one from a little less than a month ago. Does this look about the portion you received? The plating certainly seems different...

upload_2018-6-21_15-39-39.png

Our group had lunch at Blue Bayou last week (June 12), and can confirm soup/salad are not included with any entrees. The Starter menu states "Add one of our delicious starters to your entree selection" which implies an entree must be ordered -- although we all ordered entrees.

The "Cursed Pirate" Calamari/Octopus/Sausage starter is large and easily shared.

My last meal at BB was several years ago, so I'm unsure if the Monte Cristo is smaller than before -- it is still a large sandwich.

Doc - Jun 12 2018 - 12-54 PM.jpg Doc - Jun 12 2018 - 12-53 PM.jpg Doc - Jun 12 2018 - 12-56 PM.jpg

Wow. I haven't been to BB in probably 10+ years. I thought it was expensive back then, but this is just insane. $40 per person without a starter? For a family of 6, even with the cheaper kids meals, that's a crazy amount to spend on one meal. I'd love to just order a starter and dessert. Hopefully someone can get a good solid answer on this.

....wait? So you can order starter with dessert? That would be wonderful, because we've never gone there before because we've never really cared for the selections on the menu (plus it's pricey if you're not going to enjoy the food).
It’s not 100% clear yet.

Wow. I haven't been to BB in probably 10+ years. I thought it was expensive back then, but this is just insane. $40 per person without a starter? For a family of 6, even with the cheaper kids meals, that's a crazy amount to spend on one meal. I'd love to just order a starter and dessert. Hopefully someone can get a good solid answer on this.
I’ve read a report that the server did not allow it. Based on teh menu posted I am thinking that will continue to be the case. I bet 2 entrees and 2 large starters like mentioned above would feed several of you.

I remember when you had to rush over there to get a reservation first thing and within an hour they were all gone, and now its never more than half full. Wonder if this is a move to get people back into the restaurant.
It’s full every time I’ve been at B.B.

We had lunch there on Friday last week (June 15) and our entree's did NOT come with a starter, unless you count the bread basket (which was yummy!).

This is sort of unrelated, but can you share meals at BB? Like, we order one entree and have them bring an extra plate out?

No cost for an extra plate to share. I had worded it that we wanted to split, to each get a starter and sides, but the waitress said the MC doesn't come with a starter, and at most the sides would be a few grapes.

We've only had the Cafe Orleans version of the MC in the past, and the one we got at BB was significantly smaller than that. Not sure if that has always been the case. I was glad my husband also ordered a salad for himself and that we were served a bread basket, because I'd have been really unhappy to leave without feeling full, for the amount we paid for our family of 6.

I always felt BB was overpriced but now it's getting ridiculous. If someone wants to go to experience the place but does want to get robbed in the process, just get some coffee and desert. Go to Cafe Orleans if you want the Monte Cristo.

I tried going through Yelp to find a recent Monte Cristo picture at BB and saw one from a little less than a month ago. Does this look about the portion you received? The plating certainly seems different...

View attachment 331563
Yes....that is the exact size....but even that looks bigger than it was in person. And no....this was not a "half" plate like someone suggested...its the actual sandwich. It used to come split into 4 parts...not anymore! I was so under-whelmed I didn't take a picture of the sandwich last week, but I have a dark picture of the one we had back in the summer of 2015 (last time we visited). I'll post it in a second. You can tell the sandwich was in 4 pieces then.

Sorry....I can't figure out how to add the picture....and its really dark anyways (should have had the flash at BB). But the MC @ BB was alot bigger in 2015....we could have split one and still been full (ended up saving it for dinner). Our waitress last week said the chef thought it was too much food and just shrank the amount and lowered the price....but at $29....hard to believe the price was really lowered!

Last edited:
Yes....that is the exact size....but even that looks bigger than it was in person. And no....this was not a "half" plate like someone suggested...its the actual sandwich. It used to come split into 4 parts...not anymore! I was so under-whelmed I didn't take a picture of the sandwich last week, but I have a dark picture of the one we had back in the summer of 2015 (last time we visited). I'll post it in a second. You can tell the sandwich was in 4 pieces then.
Yikes! That's crazy! They basicially made it half the size then. Wow, totally not worth it with the added cost of starts to boot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter