Blue Membership cards - I assume still need?

bunkerchump

Mouseketeer
Hello,
Almost every visit I either forget or last minute dig out my membership cards from storage. Do you still need to show them for DVC perks, discounts, etc? Seems to me that it wouldn't be that hard to enable an electronic link to magic bands so DVCers can avoid worrying about bringing the cards to the parks. Not a huge deal, but it would be a nice DVC perk. Maybe its just me, but on every trip one of the following happens: I forget the cards at home. I forget the cards at home and look for an old pic of a card on my phone (probably taken originally two phone upgrades before), I forget the card at the resort (likely somewhere in the day before's clothes), I forget to send the wife a pic of the card so it is on her phone, I forget to ask for the discount altogether (most common).. etc... Once, I even got a hard time for showing a pic of the card on my phone - I was told I need the card. Heading down there this weekend, so I planned to dust off the cards again, but before I did, figured I'd ask.

Heck, I heard somewhere that my phone might even unlock my room now, but I still need my Blue Plastic DVC membership card. My brain turns off at vacation at the time where I land in Orlando and I hop on the DME. Wallet goes into the safe, my sole means of survival = the Disney Magic Band and (sometimes) my DVC membership card

John

Hello,
Almost every visit I either forget or last minute dig out my membership cards from storage. Do you still need to show them for DVC perks, discounts, etc? Seems to me that it wouldn't be that hard to enable an electronic link to magic bands so DVCers can avoid worrying about bringing the cards to the parks.
You will need the card (physical or digital from member website).

Some CMs will honor the discount if you show them the DVC affiliation in your MDE profile.

You do need the card to receive the discount but you can download a digital card and use that instead of the physical card.

Last edited:
Not only do you need the blue card, but your photo ID as well. Actually only if you want the discount, if not just show up.

I set the digital card to my phone's wallpaper when I left the card behind one trip. Had no issues. ID requirement was 50/50 depending on the CM.

FYI, in case you didn't notice the digital card is only good for 3 months from the date you look/down load it. So keep your copy up to date.

You will need the card (physical or digital from member website).

Some CMs will honor the discount if you show them the DVC affiliation in your MDE profile.

I went on a last minute trip with my first DVC AP and totally forgot about needing to show my card (which I didn't have yet) to activate it. Thankfully the CM let me log into the DVC website on my phone and show that I was a member that way.

I forgot to bring my card last trip and just used the digital version. Worked fine.

Never leave your villa without your ID. I always carry the credit card, ID, insurance card, etc. Luckily for us that I had them when my husband wound in the ER in the hospital in Celebration following an evening RunDisney event.

In a little plastic zip bag I hang on my lanyard - I put my license, Chase Visa, AP, DVC card and a few coins to toss in the fountain...grab my phone and MB and off to the parks I go!

Not only do you need the blue card, but your photo ID as well. Actually only if you want the discount, if not just show up.

That's right, I did remember once to bring the card, but forgot my License and was asked for it. I never brought my license in the age of Magic Bands and never once this was a problem (except when using the DVC discount). I know saying it here doesn't resolve anything and wishing for it doesn't make it true, but seems that it wouldn't be that hard to get DVC added to the bands so you don't need your license or the card. I love the convenience of slapping on that band and not worrying about a wallet, credit card, etc.

Does everyone else ALWAYS bring their license or photo ID to the parks with you???

That's right, I did remember once to bring the card, but forgot my License and was asked for it. I never brought my license in the age of Magic Bands and never once this was a problem (except when using the DVC discount). I know saying it here doesn't resolve anything and wishing for it doesn't make it true, but seems that it wouldn't be that hard to get DVC added to the bands so you don't need your license or the card. I love the convenience of slapping on that band and not worrying about a wallet, credit card, etc.

Does everyone else ALWAYS bring their license or photo ID to the parks with you???

DVC is already there on the cards. That's all that they often use to access TOTWL - scan the card and see both that you're DVC and that you're staying onsite. It's setting up the system for all venues to access that information that is probably just not being chosen to be done.

The current point of sale system used in most retail locations is not capable of being integrated with MDE to know if someone is eligible for a discount.

Disney has tested a handheld terminal at select TS locations that could automatically apply a discount. Not sure what the status of this test is now.

As to asking for an ID, the CM needs to be able to visually verify that the purchaser is actually the named DVC Member or AP Holder and thus entitled to said discount.

YES.

Oh, and on this, yes. Always. It's required if you want to get discounts and I've also had issues at times where I've been asked to show my ID for proof of who I was.

Since 2016, I've had a DVC Gold pass "voucher" in my MDE account. Whenever I would shop through the Shop Parks app, I would always receive the AP discount. It automatically applied it to my cart on all of my purchases. I wasn't eligible for the discount (that I'm aware of) because the pass wasn't active, but the system gave it to me anyway. I activated my pass in October 2018 and so I got almost 2 years of discounts with just the voucher in my MDE account. Disney IT is such a mess. They automatically gave me a discount on the app that I should not have been entitled to...and now that I *am* entitled to it, they can't figure out a way to automatically give it to me at a physical location in the parks:confused3.

Since 2016, I've had a DVC Gold pass "voucher" in my MDE account. Whenever I would shop through the Shop Parks app, I would always receive the AP discount. It automatically applied it to my cart on all of my purchases. I wasn't eligible for the discount (that I'm aware of) because the pass wasn't active, but the system gave it to me anyway. I activated my pass in October 2018 and so I got almost 2 years of discounts with just the voucher in my MDE account. Disney IT is such a mess. They automatically gave me a discount on the app that I should not have been entitled to...and now that I *am* entitled to it, they can't figure out a way to automatically give it to me at a physical location in the parks:confused3.
Similar to us. I had a Premium Annual Pass from several years ago and have been given the discount several times when dining or shopping.

I was raised to always carry photo ID and my health insurance card... especially while traveling on vacation.

What's the reason not to? No pockets?

What's the reason not to? No pockets - Um No.... that's not it. Really its just part of being on vacation - for me - not being tied down to the normal everyday life and responsibility. Taking a break from how I normally travel on business - frequently overseas, carting around a passport everywhere, briefcase, worry about driving a car in a foreign country with rules foreign to me, getting to places that I'm not familiar, in languages that aren't native to me, etc.
I like being picked up by DME or Uber, not having to worry about renting a car, sitting back and letting someone do the work for me. Disney embraced technology that basically eliminates the need to bring cash or credit card, paper tickets, paper fastpasses, reservation details, paper maps, etc. 5 years ago this wasn't the case (pockets full of all this stuff). I started the post because I asked whether Disney got the DVC fully integrated, kind of hoping it would have been. Not totally the case and that's fine, but I'll bet 5 years from now it will be. I've found I needed my license zero times while at Disney except for if I wanted a discount with my DVC membership. Maybe I'm the only one that just likes walking in the park with my phone and magic band and that's it. And guess what, I have a copy of my med insurance card and my Drivers License on my phone. For every reason anyone tells me why I need my ID, I can give a reason why I don't. We don't need to get into that here. I can see that I'm the minority in my thought process, at least in this post, and that's cool. I guess I'm a quirky guy.

John

Without a photo ID how will they know it's really you, not just someone you let use your DVC ID. Maybe they will add the finger scan to every register so the MB can cover everything, or just add a photo to your DVC ID. And it's not just DVC dicsounts, but AP as well.

Without a photo ID how will they know it's really you, not just someone you let use your DVC ID. Maybe they will add the finger scan to every register so the MB can cover everything, or just add a photo to your DVC ID. And it's not just DVC dicsounts, but AP as well.

It'll be by the chip implanted in our necks.;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!