Boathouse, Brunch and Boondoggles - Oh My! Complete and it only took me 11 months!

Beautiful review so far!! My husband and I have brunch at California Grill booked next Sunday. I have been going back and forth because of the price and the fact that he is not a huge eater, but lovely reviews like yours keep convincing me!!
Thank you so much. We made this our main meal for the day. I don’t eat huge quantities so I had bits of what i wanted and decided that I would leave what I couldn’t finish. It does have a beautiful assortment of really high quality food

can't wait for this brunch on our last day in April

I hope you love it like we did! Let us know! I want to hear what you think!

I had cancelled my brunch. Your review just got me to rebook. We did it last year—just me and dd. This year I’ll bring all three children.

Oh wow! I hope you love it. We really had a delightful time.

So glad we book this brunch. Loving your report.

I totally understand the waterworks. :)

Thanks- I am not a total weeper but Disney does it for me every dang time.

We have CG brunch booked and I'm super excited!!

I am so glad to hear it! Hope you have a wonderful time! So many choices and all are lovely.

Ok so this update might make you laugh. My sweet husband took the pics for it while I was showering and getting ready to chill for the evening. After brunch we got our bags and moved over to the Gaylord where he was working. We had been going hard so we found the tv had Netflix and we flopped down and I napped off some lobster and curled up in bed. Around 7pm we were starting to feel hungry and I asked if he wanted to go down and find food but he said nah, I’ll order something and he did. I was taking a quick shower and he ordered stupidly expensive room service at the Gaylord Palms Hotel so I present to you our $85 cheeseburger, grilled cheese, fruit plate and Diet Pepsi ($5 a can!) and we followed it up with our packed to go desserts from our California Grill Brunch.

So I give you - Gaylord Palms Room Service that he ordered and photographed. He knew he couldn’t eat u til a photo was taken so he took them. I found that so sweet I included it.

786AB672-B74B-4517-A46B-5B32A16A829A.jpeg

Yummy and something healthy was nice and needed
ADD238D2-FC2A-4F35-A7B6-4B39A78FD8E5.jpeg

Basic grilled cheese

1BC60E88-46AE-49B9-B304-D388FD44D75A.jpeg

Why he took this pic I do not know but hey - little bottles are cute

07608C79-1CF7-4E15-B2A2-7F89C9EB1D07.jpeg

$15 in Diet Pepsi

7DB4F519-2BB1-47D7-8314-5F3A7360B285.jpeg

A Kids sized burger and fries

And to make it Disney relevant our desserts they packaged to go from California Grill Brunch. Some macaroons, some truffles, some salted bark, blueberry buckles of some sort and a fruit centers cookie.

0DA37F1D-06A1-4452-BBB4-1727D2743FBF.jpeg

I do love the man!

Last edited:

At least the $85 for the room service makes the California Grill Brunch look like a bargain.

The only saving grace from this is we were officially “boondoggling” now and the company was picking up the tab. Otherwise these photos would have been a pizza delivery box.

Awww, what an emotional (and delicious) experience! I so want to do the CG brunch. Lovely photos of you in this review :)

I can't believe that woman offered you a bite of her breakfast. That is taking friendly to a whole new level for sure :laughing:

SOLO DAY at MAGIC KINGDOM Snacks and BE OUR GUEST lunch

Monday morning rolled in and I was on my own. It was rainy and chilly, in the 50s so I pulled on the handy $59 zippered sweatshirt is bought earlier in the trip (weather was so crazy this time - 80 and stunning in the afternoon and 50 in the evening - hello Florida). I tucked my vintage (from a 1999 trip) bright yellow Mickey Rain Poncho into the plastic bag from the hotel ice bucket into my bag and headed off. I never toss anything Disney but I had more comments on that poncho. I guess it’s retro cool. I had no idea. I just knew it was in a drawer and tucked it in my luggage “just in case”

I also pulled on my favorite geeky WED Engineering shirt so I completed the geeky look. Lots of comments on it too particularly from CMs. I was totally nerded out and off to the MK. It’s ok. I am a nerd and I own it.

My morning food experience started with an unremarkable Starbucks latte and bagel that I ate on the ferry going over to the.MK. It was a little weird being alone gong to the MK and surrounded by families but it was fun to hear the excited chatter of little ones and the glimpses of the castle you get and mamas holding up little princes and princesses to point out the castle. It was delightful actually. I might like the ferry more than the monorail.

I arrived at the MK and it was misting- made it through bag check and got to the hub and the omnibus was there. It was raining pretty full on and it was dry inside so I hopped on. Another first. Was transported down Main Street and had donned and snapped the sides of the poncho and hoped off and got in line to see Merida. Noting says Brave like waiting in a big to meet a character but the ducks were out. I got my Princess fix and headed over for my Tomorrow Land FP experience. I saved the world from Zurg, visited an alien who thankfully is only dong meet and greets and not burping chili dogs in our face anymore - is Stitch’s Great Escape officially closed? Gosh I hope so. It is such prime real estate but the ride is kinda awful.

So I made my way over to jungle cruise and my tummy was rumbly so I knew it needed a Dole Whip - that is usually the correct answer to most MK issues btw.
EE4212EC-FD24-48DB-898D-69DADA495379.jpeg

One beautiful Dole Whip - I was glad I had this as I found out I was there during the Great Citrus Swirl of March 18 during the brief moments that they changed the Citrus Swirl to the sweeter Orange Swirl. It lasted about a week until the backlash caused them to change it back. I understand- tart orange purée swirled with vanilla soft serve makes sense and is Orange Bird Approved - orange soft serve and vanilla soft serve without the signature tartness is just blasphemy. My pineapple over orange choice saved you from this (the full story can be found on the Disney food blog and probably other spots in the inter webs)

I explored the river and saw the backside of water and then fought the crowds to my lunch adr at Be Our Guest.

I love everything about the interior of Be Our Guest - the ceiling, the snow in the window, the gargoyles, the West Wing where you eat in sensory deprivation. Everything was wonderful except my food.

I probably ordered the wrong thing. I mean I was sitting in the ballroom and it was gorgeous and I was in a sturdy big soft chair and people were bringing me food. What is the problem?

21BBBB26-E2BE-4592-8B0D-C4D0F905FC3F.jpeg 2E2B6173-5B2B-4032-8689-AE7CCA11E17D.jpeg

This soggy sandwich full of gristly ham. It was greasy but not in a yummy way. It was flat and kind of smushed. The ham was pressed ham not a nice jambon like I expected. I’ve eaten here and een delighted so I am pretty sure it was what I ordered not being what I expected. I think I I had Disneyland Croque Monsieurs in New Orleans Square in mind and this was just kinda limp and oily. The pomme frites were shoestring and crispy. I liked them. I liked being off my feet.FDB21D97-155E-4418-8260-55D701D2DFD7.jpeg
Maybe I am also considering all the trouble I had getting an ADR even for lunch and expected more. It was not inedible but it wasn’t great. I had half and tossed half in the bin.

I did finish dessert with a pretty little Masters Cupcake topped with Gray Stuff.
F4AFB514-47C5-4DDA-A82A-73C630FEA23E.jpeg B5490E06-6CE7-49C2-886F-6B66615BE1F4.jpeg
Ok disclaimer- the mylar cupcake wrapper is adorable and really hard to take off or perhaps my cupcake skills are lacking. It’s a commercial cupcake and the gray stuff seems more processed than it once was. It’s bleneded pretty smooth. It was fine. The crispy pearls were nice. It was ok. Not amazing but solid.

But for half a sandwich that was pretty unremarkable I hated that I spent $24 for this lunch. I think there are a lot of places I could spend $24 for one person to have lunch and get much better food. I may be urging BOG on the back burner for a while.

D133DA3F-412C-43BD-BF69-2344784AAA8D.jpeg

$23.72 for a soggy ham sandwich, soft drink, decent fries and a cupcake was kinda on the meh scale for me.

But the day does get better as I went wild for dinner - thank goodness I didn’t need ketchup

Next Up - Dinner at the Wilderness Lodge’s Whispering Canyon Cafe.

At least the $85 for the room service makes the California Grill Brunch look like a bargain.

Boy do you have that right! The company paid for dinner thank goodness!

Awww, what an emotional (and delicious) experience! I so want to do the CG brunch. Lovely photos of you in this review :)

I can't believe that woman offered you a bite of her breakfast. That is taking friendly to a whole new level for sure :laughing:

Oh my gosh, can you believe it? I was dumbstruck- I mean it was nice but I don’t think I would have ever offered. It was funny though and I am glad I am not the only one who laughed.

Lovely report, thanks for sharing it with us

Thank you so much. I’ve had so many lovely meals and experiences because I read about them here I wanted to pay it forward a little bit and share. I hope you find something helpful here too!

Wow, thanks for the reminder on how amazing Cali Grill brunch is and how as I sit here on a Sunday morning we wish we were all there!!! You all had the exact same entrees that we did!

Love the juxtaposition of an $80 brunch at Cali Grill and what the same amount of room service costs. Glad you didn't have to leave the room but it just exemplifies how great CG is.

Speaking of great( or not so) sorry BoG was a bust. We've never been big fans either. I've never found lunch to be bad, but I just don't get why its so hard to get in when the food isn't that great. It is a restaurant after all :confused3

Its only been since April since I updated this but since I am leaving for WDW again on what is becoming an annual “boondoggle” trip meaning hubby has a convention at the Gaylord and I am tagging along again I thought I should finish this one. I still have notes and photos so here we go!

I had spent my morning at a soggy MK and I was tired. I wandered through Adventureland and stopped at the Skipper Canteen stand and they had no openings to I pulled into a curb and opened the App and saw the MK was slammed and had next to no ADRs (it was spring break so it was pretty crazy) but I saw that Whispering Canyon had an opening in 75 minutes and I grabbed it and headed out of the park.

On the way out I happened upon the flag ceremony and it was the first time I saw them lower the flag. It was really beautiful and me, being a Disney crier, got choked up.

I took a nice peaceful ride over to Wilderness Lodge and was a bit early but they seated me immediately at a nice window table in the main room. I could watch the shenanigans but choose to dine quietly. I started my dinner with Diet Coke and then decided my aching feet deserved a nice glass of Chardonnay too. It was cold and dry and perfect.
FA16AAC9-7970-422A-990A-ADCB5FC9EF9D.jpeg

I enjoyed this with the traditional cornbread and butter. What is it about this cornbread that is so dang good?
E7923E13-FC69-44DB-B8FF-0F752EFE35E5.jpeg

And for my entree I chose the

• Braised Pork Shank - Mashed Yukon Potatoes, Vegetable Medley, Tamarind Jus, and Citrus Gremolata - $28.00
551FD0FE-549B-48FA-8869-84AE3DB123C5.jpeg

I recall this being a little tough but the potatoes were delish and the topping on the pork seemed more cranberry than citrus. It was good but not great. I was tired too so that could influence my take on it. I decided to grab a dessert to go and chose the apple pie that doesn’t seem to still be on the menu. This is a good thing. It was cold and tasted like it came from a commercial kitchen. I had chosen it because Jesse loves apple pie so I thought he might enjoy sharing it with me back at the room. He did not enjoy it and neither did I. I am rarely just anti something but this was not good. Glad I had loaded up my carbs on cornbread.

745DE426-AC08-47E4-AF21-705057CB6330.jpeg

There were a few stick horse races and some whooping and hollering which is now not a standard here anymore and I think the restaurant will suffer for it. This wasn’t an inexpensive meal and without the atmosphere I fear the draw here diminishes. It’s pretty good but not excellent and it’s just not priced for “pretty good.” That might change if you have big eaters who want the giant skillet I suppose. I’ve been here twice in my Disney dining career and I don’t think I will make a third trip.

The next day was my final full park day. Jess was hard at work and I headed to Animal Kingdom solo with plans to meet a friend for lunch who had recently moved to Florida. I arrived semi early and we had decided to “brunch” at Nomad Lounge. This place is Brayan’s such a hidden gem.

I settled in on the patio in a big deep seating sectional sofa with this view.
3B80FF28-2772-4F2E-84C9-24821B5778EF.jpeg
I arrived early and ordered a delicious press pot of coffee. I chose the Ethiopian single source blend was a beautiful service and I am a coffee snob and this was strong and bold and not bitter. There is much talk of the cocktails here but the coffee service is a treat!

DEF35228-E5EB-4022-B4E6-9C1FCE35A8E8.jpeg

Here is a view of the set up

173CF94E-8CD6-421C-A2B2-7472FF7ADFB3.jpeg

While I waited for Chris I mulled over the menu. It was still early and I had heard some amazing reviews of the bread service and the cheese plate so carbs and protein it is!
837781D8-AFFB-406B-89A6-9B052045F578.jpeg

Chris arrived and we sat and caught up and noshed on some amazing bites! A0233DCF-B9D3-4E09-A487-D3ABC95E378E.jpeg

The bread service
95FD67F3-84BF-4F61-96C7-89A3A734B5D7.jpeg
The Baba Ghanoush was the standout here - rich and smoky with deep flavors! The Tadka is basically spices cooked in ghee to release their essence and Ithaca a deep red pepper and cumin flavor. And the final dip - blathang is like a chutney. Fruity witha kick. Really was wonderful and that big crisped bread was so airy. I believe every this is also Tiffins bread service but as I checked a recent menu it may have changed a bit. Or they are using a bit more of an accessible description now.

And cheese board
A542E570-A7CE-4180-A1BE-C7E3D20D3649.jpeg

This went mild and nutty to a lovely sharp strong blue cheese with honeycomb to curb the bite. We didn’t leave a bit of the cheese behind. The Brie was a least favorite but hey, we ate that too! The almonds were spiced and lovely. I wish I had kept better notes but it was amazing and I would order it again! In fact I plan to in a few weeks. So glad I was able to see my dear friend and share this with him!

Attachments

• 3603ACE6-7817-4539-99DD-7414DAA45301.jpeg
    3603ACE6-7817-4539-99DD-7414DAA45301.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 5
After Chris and I rode a few attractions and wandered a few paths he had to get to work and my desire for something sweet hit. I grabbed this and I can’t recall where but it wasn’t good and it tasted old so after a bite or two I pitched it. Plus I was gong to need to take a medication and needed food.

7AFFFB11-F60E-4CE1-B4A0-164A11ABA7FD.jpeg

Still looking for just a little snack to take the meds I was right outside FOTLK and I picked up these. CC3ADB00-8F10-40BB-95C2-7DCA79CF1ED3.jpeg

They were ok and as unremarkable as you would expect but cute and resealable has so they stayed in my bag and I used them for the next few days when I needed something. And I was able to take my medication too. It’s probab not a stellar review to say “made meds safe to take.” But if you have little ones a goldfish like Mickey cracker is good and knowing you can seal them back up might be handy info.

I finally found my “sweet spot” post show when I stopped at Pongu Pongu

Ahhh

• Rum Blossom - Bacardi Superior Rum with layers of Apple and Desert Pear Limeade topped with Passion Fruit Boba Balls without the souvenir mug or glowing ice cube.

• B26AD2D9-D41B-463D-AB88-C6A9AA7E55FA.jpeg
And a

• Pongu Lumpia - Pineapple Cream Cheese Spring Roll

• 3008632E-2AA2-4604-A55A-4F1A1FC69A32.jpeg
These are a perfect sweet combo. Some might say too sweet but nope. It’s perfect. The rum blossom is boozy and a little tart and the pear balanced it and what is it about pineapple and cream cheese? I forgot all about that icky palmier thing from before that only had huge on its side and nothing else. It got me through to Rivers of Light and I was a happy girl. I also grabbed a salad with chicken from Flame Tree on the way out but failed to photograph it. It was just fine and exactly what I needed it to be.

And that brings us to my final day. I had an early afternoon flight so I had some in room coffee and packed my bags- I sure wish I had one of Mary Poppins magical carpet bags at times like this. Then I popped over to Disney Springs for a quick lunch before I had to head to the airport. I had heard a lot of buzz about D-Lux Burgers so thought I would give it a try. Because we had stayed at a Disney Springs resort I had these special dining cardsthat I had to use at Quick Service Locations only and I had not used them all so I was on a mission.

Being a good southern girl raised inn pimento cheese finger sandwiches at every bridal and baby shower the Southern Classsic Burger called my name - Signature Blend topped with a Fried Green Tomato, Pimento Cheese, Lettuce, and Bacon - $12.99

9EBD1E61-FABB-4EAF-A0DC-330C248B36AB.jpeg
And I had to try the fries too

DC7E6360-543E-461B-B17D-7806E0EF0891.jpeg

First piece of advice- get a knife and fork and HANDFULS of napkins. This is a lot. A lot of tastes. A lot of burger. A lot of wet ingredients. A lot of goodness. I loved this thing but I could only eat half of it. It was gigantic! The fried green tomato was tart and the cheese creamy with a pimento bite and the bacon smokey. I rank Disney foods by ones I think of at home. It’s been almost a year sjnce I ate this and I was solo so there isn’t an “anchor memory” conversation or shared experience and I still remember it. The only thing I regret is I was alone and couldn’t share it with someone else. Dang it was tasty. And I love the sauce options for the fries. The athmosphere in here was nice and homey too. I sat by a big fireplace- in a counter service. It was pretty dang good!

And lastly I spent the rest of my cards up on these snacks to take home. It takes a bit of the sting out of going home to have a Porg Krispie treat.

C8439E73-D2A9-4B3F-9C93-A4E0D9CA4508.jpeg

And so I am home. I finally finished this report just in time to go again.

A preview of my report to come - we have decided to fly in on a Friday and stay two nights at Pop Century with the Deluxe Dining Plan before we move to the Gaylord.

We have ADRs for late lunch and even later dinner at Skipper Canteen and Be Our Guest on arrival day. We will be at DAK the next day with an OOP lunch st Satu’li and experiencing Pandora and then chilling at Nomad before we hop to DHS for After Hours and dinner at 50sPTC. The next morning it’s Garden Grill Breakfast (10:25 brunch really) and a lazy Epcot day with 4:00 “linner” at Chefs d France. That uses those 6 DDP credits.

Then we move to the Gaylord.

Jess works Monday and so am doing the new Taste of the Magic Kingdom tour! Tuesday I have nothing planned. I may hang at the pool at the Gaylord or wander Disney Springs and catch a movie. Wednesday I meet a friend for brunch at the Bob Voyage Breakfast and we have a dinner ADR at Artist Point for the new Snow White dinner. Jess finishes up with work and Thursday it’s Marceline to Main Street for both of us and late lunch at the Plaza and end our evening at Trader Sams and watching HEA from the Poly Beach. And I reserve the right to cancel Plaza and head to Mizners Lounge or Grand Floridian Cafe (usually an easy ADR) - who knows? I am learning to leave a little room in our days for spontaneous experiences but the planner in me winces at it.

So see you again in a few weeks and thanks for coming along on this much belated but finally completed report.

Love and Light - Dawn
41C7A457-D05D-4AF5-BF35-2BC8476107F1.jpeg

The only saving grace from this is we were officially “boondoggling” now and the company was picking up the tab. Otherwise these photos would have been a pizza delivery box.

I loved your report! And I really laughed at this part - that would be me as well.
That woman offering you food!! Now I am a people person but wow!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!