BoG Dessert Only?

hswillia07

DIS Veteran
Hello! We used to go to BoG for dessert only to grab a cupcake and meet the beast. It was great for us as one of my daughters is allergic to peanuts and it was one of the only spots to get peanut free cupcakes at MK. With the new menu, will those cupcakes still even exist? And is booking to get dessert only still an option? Thanks so much!

Hello! We used to go to BoG for dessert only to grab a cupcake and meet the beast. It was great for us as one of my daughters is allergic to peanuts and it was one of the only spots to get peanut free cupcakes at MK. With the new menu, will those cupcakes still even exist? And is booking to get dessert only still an option? Thanks so much!
I think people booking "just to get dessert and meet the Beast" is why they switched to the prix fixe menu...:rolleyes1

I think people booking just to get dessert and meet the Beast is why they switched to the prix fixe menu...:rolleyes1

Yep, its because the tables were being filled by people who weren't actually ordering food, and that was also shorting the servers on their tips. That is generally accepted as one of the reasons they switched to prix fixe. Which means that no, just ordering a cupcake is no longer an option. Thats the point of prix fixe, it means everyone pays the same price, or 2 DDP credits, and each patron gets a choice off the menu. I suppose, if someone is willing to pay the price for an entire meal and only order a cupcake, that would be possible, but would be a colossal waste of money which would keep most people from doing it. At least with the new pricing and menu, they can guarantee that all the tables will be filled with people who actually are using the reservation to eat a meal.

They will still have cupcakes at lunch. I'm not sure which one you needed to order for the allergy, but my guess is they will have it.

Yep, you could go for lunch. No Beast, but you can still get a cupcake.

On a side note, in Disney's defense, I can understand why they would do this. While it is perfectly allowed to go to almost any restaurant and just order dessert, I agree that it shorts the servers on tips, and it cuts into the overall revenue that the restaurant would bring in, when the average meal is much greater in cost than a couple of cupcakes. And in general, I would guess that there probably aren't many restaurants on property where large numbers of people are going just for dessert or a drink so that they can experience the restaurant, and having such an impact on overall sales.

With the new menu, will those cupcakes still even exist? And is booking to get dessert only still an option?

No. Booking dinner for just a dessert will not be possible. The $55 ($35 for kids) prix fixe menu — which includes app, entree, dessert and drink —will be the only dinner option. BOG has some of the highest ADR demand at the resort and lets Disney utilize that demand to maximize the per guest spending to dine there. I'm pretty confident that Disney isn't concerned with the servers' tips.

Cupcakes might remain a lunch item, and lunch will remain a la carte (at least, for now).

I suppose, if someone is willing to pay the price for an entire meal and only order a cupcake, that would be possible, but would be a colossal waste of money which would keep most people from doing it.

The dinner dessert is this small dessert tray. No cupcakes.
be-our-guest-dessert-trio-grey-stuff-chip-macaron-chocolate-covered-cherry-COPYRIGHT-DISNEY.jpg

I think people booking "just to get dessert and meet the Beast" is why they switched to the prix fixe menu...:rolleyes1

Understood! I feel justified - I couldn't get a dinner reservation last time and we booked in at 8pm. I feel fine about it!

No need to be sanctimonious about it

Perfectly fine to go to a restaurant for a single course, whether it be apps or dessert

That is no longer an option. No more ala carte options come the menu change. Mulicourse meals only

Thank you :)

Understood! I feel justified - I couldn't get a dinner reservation last time and we booked in at 8pm. I feel fine about it!

I often recommend apps or desserts to get an ambiance of a restaurant (I've recommended it more than once for Blue Bayou in the DL section of the Dis). It's nice when considerate "guests" keep turnover rate and/or compensated tip in mind for the server, but ultimately every table at Disney is just that...one table out of tens of thousands at a single resort. Whether we take up a table a BOG or Beaches and Creams or the Electric Umbrella, it's all just WDW food services. The business side of things — prices, profits, employee satisfaction, etc. — is their affair.

And everything guest as the same opportunity for ADR's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter