Boma Review

SimonV

Proud to have called Bob Varley 'friend'
Here's an excellent review of the Boma restaurant at Animal Kingdom Lodge, which sums up all of the reasons why I think this is such a special place to eat (the article comes from the Orlando Sentinel);

At Boma -- The Flavors of Africa, the first thing you notice are the kids. There are dozens and dozens of children -- a welcome sight to any parent who has been given the evil eye at restaurants (even at Red Lobster!) for bringing their kids to dinner.

But Boma attracts adults, too, whole parties of adults with no childlike creatures with them -- adults carrying glasses of red wine, and adults who don't seem to be glowering at the pint-sized diners in their midst.

Pinch me. Am I dreaming?

The idea at Boma, a buffet-style restaurant in Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge, is simple. It's a buffet concept with various stations (instead of one long line). Sit down at your table, a server takes drink orders (alcoholic drinks are extra) and then tells you the drill, which is, basically, eat all you want. When you've finished one plate, the server will whisk it away and you can get a clean plate and go back for seconds or thirds.

The price is moderate, certainly by tourist standards. Children ages 3-9 eat for $8.99; adults pay $21.99.

That may seem high to those who are familiar with the $10 all-you-can-eat buffets, but this is no ordinary buffet. Here, you'll find extraordinarily good food that is freshly prepared -- from the nut-crusted salmon to the outstanding African-seasoned flank steak to the more sedate prime rib. Don't bypass the soups. Tomato-okra soup tasted as if the tomatoes had been picked that day; the curry seafood chowder with mussels was delicious with a nice finishing kick of heat; and the oxtail stew and the chicken pepperpot were all delicious.

This is an opportunity to get the kids to try things that may be outside their usual ranges. While the younger set can dine on macaroni and cheese (which was quite good), chicken wings and spaghetti with meatballs, you might also persuade them to try fufu, a dish of mashed yams spiced with cinnamon. We shared many table jokes about fufu, and the kids liked it.

Fufu was a good diversion from the fries, one of the few off-notes at Boma. The fries were cold and tasted as if they were frozen fries thrown in the oven. No matter, the oven-roasted potatoes were excellent and, besides, I'd rather the kitchen staff concentrate on things other than french fries.

The salads, which are numerous, include couscous, marinated vegetable salad and a terrific fruit salad. There's also lots of fresh fruit, a grand alternative for kids who won't touch the unusual-looking vegetable dishes.

There are easily a half-dozen different desserts available each night, but our favorites included the zebra domes with vanilla sauce, crunchy chocolate mousse and lemon meringue tarts.

Boma is a reasonably priced restaurant where diners can eat as much as they want -- including dessert. Hence there are no parents shrieking: "You cannot have a $6.95 dessert when you didn't finish the $9.95 lasagna I bought for you!" And unlike some theme-park restaurants aimed at the budget traveler, this joint's got sass and class. The tables and chairs are hefty wooden pieces; the banquettes are big and comfy.

One large table was an irregularly shaped surface carved from the trunk of an enormous tree. You won't find that at the world's largest McDonald's.

Families with small children appear to get preference when it comes to booths -- a smart move on Disney's part, given youngsters' proclivity for tumbling out of chairs, bouncing off walls and falling asleep at mealtime.

And although I usually dislike buffets, this one completely charmed me.

While waiting for our table, we wandered out to the observation deck for a chance to see the animals. And we spotted, among other things, pelicans nesting within a few yards of us, exotic looking gemboks grazing nearby, some African long-horned cattle and a lone giraffe meandering through the woods in the distance.

Families looking for more than just a meal will find it at Boma. That said, here's a word of caution: Families cannot simply drive to the Animal Kingdom Lodge and announce that you want to eat at Boma. Reservations are required, presumably so hordes of gawking locals and tourists don't flood the place for the chance to see the animals that linger outside the lodge. A security guard will not let you drive into the parking lot unless you have a reservation. Call Disney Dining at 407-939-3463 for a table.

Linda Shrieves welcomes your "Family Dining" suggestions. She can be reached at 407-420-5433 or lshrieves@orlandosentinel.com.

Have to agree with everything written here. This is the one place I'm looking forward to most of all for next week :tongue: LOL

Next week! I have to wait until August to eat at this wonderful restaurant again. Oh well, the time will pass soon enough. Have a fab time Vernon.

We're going to eat at Boma a few times, especially as we are now planning on staying at AKL for a whole week in August! Does anyone know if they change the buffet items on a daily basis? It would be good to sample a wide range of dishes.

Regards

Rob

We had a fabulous meal at Bomas! It was all lovely but I especially loved the soups which were were really different and so delicious, and the salads were fantastic.

I'd definitely go there again! :)

Astrid

The plantain and sweetcorn soup was to die for ! It should also carry a health warning , once tasted you just crave more, and more and more. If you aren't careful you never get as far as trying anything else, because you are just so full up! LOL Carolyn

I had chicken Korma soup which was amazing, even DH who hates soup (the texture more than anything else) said it was good.
The ribs were great.....no, everything was great. Except the weather.

........... a great write up! I can't wait to go there! I'm not into soup particularly, and I associate it with cold Winter days, but your descriptions Mo and Carolyn, sound very tempting :)

Yes, it's top of my favourite places to eat in WDW, too :)

I'm really looking forward to going again just as soon as I can get there!

Sounds like another one to add to my ever growing list of 'must do's'. Especially like the idea of unlimited desserts...yum!

We went to Boma's twice this year and the menu was totally different both times although some of the sweets were the same.

Both times were great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter