Bonine for motion sickness

Destinyz12

Mouseketeer
For those that take it- when is the best time to take it before going on rides? (the morning of, the night before, an hour before, ect.?) I plan on trying it out as more of a precaution since I haven't been on any big rides in several years, even though I used to be totally fine on them. I have heard that it can make you drowsy though.

For those that take it- when is the best time to take it before going on rides? (the morning of, the night before, an hour before, ect.?) I plan on trying it out as more of a precaution since I haven't been on any big rides in several years, even though I used to be totally fine on them. I have heard that it can make you drowsy though.

I would not recommend trying this at the parks the first time, especially if you don't know that you actually need it. Even the non drowsy formula can really knock some people out (I'm one of them - took the non-drowsy once as a precaution I didn't need and fell asleep sitting up). Try it out at home. I can't really speak to the other part of your question though.

Edited to add that in thinking about it, if you haven't had a problem in the past, and you really want something, I would try ginger pills instead. They help some people with motion sickness (full disclosure, not everyone) and they are much less likely to have side effects.

We use Bonine every trip. DH & DD have a problem with the rides after a few days (they have both had nasty concussions in the past) so we start taking it a day or two before we leave. This seems to work the best for all of us. I would second the suggestion to try it before you leave to see how you handle it. Dramamine makes DD fall asleep but she has had no problems with the Bonine. I work in a pharmacy and it is what the pharmacist recommended we use.

We use Bonine every trip. DH & DD have a problem with the rides after a few days (they have both had nasty concussions in the past) so we start taking it a day or two before we leave. This seems to work the best for all of us. I would second the suggestion to try it before you leave to see how you handle it. Dramamine makes DD fall asleep but she has had no problems with the Bonine. I work in a pharmacy and it is what the pharmacist recommended we use.

Just FYI, Bonine is the same as non-drowsy Dramamine (or Dramamine II), just a different brand name.

I'm going to chime in for advice too. I get nasty motion sickness on quite a few of the Disney rides. I usually take Dramamine but even non drowsy knocks me out. I hate having to fight through that exhausted feeling while my family is just trying to have fun. This time I've pulled up a few options. I'd love to hear if anyone has tried these at the parks.

- Bonine motion sickness tablets
- Sea Band natural anti-nausea relief
- MQ Motion sickness patch

I don’t get motion sickness but I always take Bonine while cruising. I take it at night before bed. Sometimes it makes me feel nauseas, but I’ve never gotten sick and wake up feeling fine.

Whatever medication you do take needs to be taken prior to getting on a motion-sickness inducing ride. Once you're already suffering motion sickness it's generally too late for the medicine to work. I'd say at least 30 minutes prior but an hour might be better.

Just FYI, Bonine is the same as non-drowsy Dramamine (or Dramamine II), just a different brand name.

While they list the same active ingredients, in my experience they affect people very differently. Dramamine 2 affects my sleep much more than Bonine. My son also has fewer side effects on Bonine.

I can’t take Dramamine because it knocks me out cold. Bonine isn’t nearly as bad; however, it does make me feel drowsy and like I’m in a fog. I used to take it in the morning with breakfast before hitting the parks because it was the only thing that helped. Then I discovered motion sickness bands (I can’t remember the brand name). They’re a soft, blue terry cloth type of material with a white pressure point ball on the inside. They fit on your wrists, with the ball against a pressure point on the inside of the wrist (the placement instructions are specific and easy to follow). They work beautifully for me. No drowsiness and no motion sickness. As a caveat to this, I don’t ever ride attractions that spin, such as the tea cups, because anything that goes in circles makes me sick just looking at it. So I can’t speak to the bands’ effectiveness for this type of attraction. But, for all other attractions, as well as air travel, the bands are my go to for the prevention of motion sickness. I hope you find something that works for you!

I'm going to chime in for advice too. I get nasty motion sickness on quite a few of the Disney rides. I usually take Dramamine but even non drowsy knocks me out. I hate having to fight through that exhausted feeling while my family is just trying to have fun. This time I've pulled up a few options. I'd love to hear if anyone has tried these at the parks.

- Bonine motion sickness tablets
- Sea Band natural anti-nausea relief
- MQ Motion sickness patch

I use Sea Bands and they help me. I won't go to an amusement park with out them. Things like Star Tours, TSMM and intense roller coasters make me motion sick and I can ride everything but the roller coasters as many times as me kids want want now. I don't do spinny rides like the Tea Cups or Carousel, so I don't know if they would help with these.

I like the idea of taking Bonine the night before to sleep off any possible drowsiness. The question is, does it still work effectively for the next day?

Just FYI, Bonine is the same as non-drowsy Dramamine (or Dramamine II), just a different brand name.[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify it is actually called Less-drowsy dramamine (not non-drowsy). Mild drowsiness is still pretty common with it. Of course some people get significant drowsiness and a few don't get any with it.

My recommendation would be to wear a Sea-Band since it does not have side effects and bring a bonine/less-drowsy dramamine with you to the park in case it doesn't work for you. You can wear the Sea-Band on the opposite wrist of you Magic Band-that way you having matching tan lines:rotfl2:

I like the idea of taking Bonine the night before to sleep off any possible drowsiness. The question is, does it still work effectively for the next day?

Yes, one Bonine is effective for 24 hours. IF you think you'll be having an issue you can take 2, or take the second part way through the day. Bonine is the brand name for meclizine; dosage is 25mg once or twice a day. Dramamine is a completely different formulation, although the new "non-drowsy" Dramamine II is meclizine.

I get motion sick at the drop of a hat. I can get motion sick in the bathtub, a swimming pool, standing in the ocean, riding in the front seat of the car, etc. Even with the Bonine, I don't do "dizzy" rides, including tea cups, star tours, primeval whirl. Thanks to the Bonine, I can do Dumbo, Aladdin's carpets, Test Trak (just barely), Soarin. I don't like roller coasters or things that drop, so don't do RnRC, ToT, or Space mountain. I have done Splash half-a-dozen times and done. Oddly, Big Thunder is my favorite ride at Disney. 7DMT killed me with motion sickness, even with the Bonine. There is no way I'd ever consider cruising.

Sea bands don't work for me, and neither does ginger. Dramamine knocks me out cold. Bonine will put me to sleep, but only if I sit, close my eyes, and try to sleep. I sleep on the plane and sometimes on the bus, but have no problems while at Disney. I take it either at midnight or first thing in the morning, at least an hour before getting on the bus. I have also used a scopolamine patch, and they are amazing... but you have to be careful not to touch them; if you get the drug on your fingers and transfer it to your eye, your pupil will dilate to an incredible degree. BTDT, even though I was being 100% totally careful not to touch the patch.

It might say it's the same, but I find them to be different... Non drowsy Dramamine still knocks me out!!

Bonine however is awesome! I take it every day at the parks at least an hour ahead of time and am good to go!! I still can't do spinny rides though.

I take Bonine first thing every morning of our trips. It works great and I’ve never experienced drowsiness with it.

I get a prescription of Meclizine (AntiVert) from my generally physician and take two a day before the parks. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing as Bonine but getting it from a doctor makes me feel like it works better (it's the same thing, just a mental thing for me.)

If that’s the same as meclizine, I would not recommend it. Absolutely try it out first. I was given meclizine for vertigo and for me it may as well have been a sleeping pill - knocked me out cold for a very long nap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter