Bonus night!!!

oneprincessjo

Mouseketeer
So, we are arriving a day earlier than we had originally planned so we decided to book that night at a different DVC resort so we can get a sampling for future reference. We are staying at BLT for 7 nights so before we arrive there we were toying with the idea of doing AKV or VWL for the night before we arrive. I have stayed at Wilderness Lodge before, but not the villas and have never stayed at AKL or AKV. Also I was thinking about the BCV, mostly because of Beaches and Cream, I have never stayed there either. That day is going to be a relaxed day at the resort, we won't do any parks till we check into BLT. It will be me, dh and dd (2 and half when we go). Which resort would you pick for your bonus night and why? Thanks everyone!!

When is your trip? I would personally stay somewhere that I've never stayed, so I would lean towards BCV or AKL. We have stayed at both (and WLV) and love them each for different reasons.

BCV - if you are going in a warmer month, the pool is nice to relax in. The kiddie area is pretty fun, and your daughter would enjoy that. There are movies on the beach that you could enjoy. You could walk around the lake during your evening. It would give you a feel for the entire resort area. Lots to take in, and a day off would be a great time to sample. Although, with Epcot just around the corner, I'd have a hard time staying away.

AKV - it is not our favorite resort. It is lovely; I like dark woods, and I adored waking up to animals outside my balcony each morning. I just personally prefer to have a walking option to a park. I tend to go to MK more when at BLT and to Epcot/DHS more when at BWV or BCV. I enjoy walking, and I like having that option. That doesn't make AKV bad, just not a good fit for my tastes. I bet your daughter would love seeing the animals. Kidani also has a wonderful splash area for warmer months. The savanna is a great way to spend time. I didn't use it, but I've heard there are great cultural presentations as well. It would feel very different from BLT in that it is secluded, so that could be nice.

I know I said "no" to WLV, but that is because you've already stayed at the hotel and it is the same resort area as BLT. It's still a lovely property that we enjoy a great deal.

If your purpose is research for the future, pick the resort you most likely would stay at, or the resort area that most intrigues you (in the action, farther away). Or, you could pick based on the theme that appeals the most. Or, you could draw a resort out of a hat! I guess I'm saying neither choice is bad. Enjoy your bonus day!!

IMO you should do a bonus night or two at all DVC resorts before buying as a home resort or staying there long term.

Everyone has different likes and dislikes. Some may love their resort and post only positives while others may dislike a resort and bring up all negatives.

Bottom line is it doesn't matter what others think, It only matters what you think and I applaud you for checking other resorts out.

:earsboy: Bill

When is your trip? I would personally stay somewhere that I've never stayed, so I would lean towards BCV or AKL. We have stayed at both (and WLV) and love them each for different reasons.

BCV - if you are going in a warmer month, the pool is nice to relax in. The kiddie area is pretty fun, and your daughter would enjoy that. There are movies on the beach that you could enjoy. You could walk around the lake during your evening. It would give you a feel for the entire resort area. Lots to take in, and a day off would be a great time to sample. Although, with Epcot just around the corner, I'd have a hard time staying away.

AKV - it is not our favorite resort. It is lovely; I like dark woods, and I adored waking up to animals outside my balcony each morning. I just personally prefer to have a walking option to a park. I tend to go to MK more when at BLT and to Epcot/DHS more when at BWV or BCV. I enjoy walking, and I like having that option. That doesn't make AKV bad, just not a good fit for my tastes. I bet your daughter would love seeing the animals. Kidani also has a wonderful splash area for warmer months. The savanna is a great way to spend time. I didn't use it, but I've heard there are great cultural presentations as well. It would feel very different from BLT in that it is secluded, so that could be nice.

I know I said "no" to WLV, but that is because you've already stayed at the hotel and it is the same resort area as BLT. It's still a lovely property that we enjoy a great deal.

If your purpose is research for the future, pick the resort you most likely would stay at, or the resort area that most intrigues you (in the action, farther away). Or, you could pick based on the theme that appeals the most. Or, you could draw a resort out of a hat! I guess I'm saying neither choice is bad. Enjoy your bonus day!!

We will be going in January, but from previous experiences it has been unbearably hot and very cold, sometimes both in the same trip. LOL. We have a picture of everyone in winter coats and hats on splash mountain, one of my favorite pics. How far of a walk to Epcot is it from BCV? Is it equivalent to the walk from BLT to MK? That's one of the main reasons we always stay at BLT, I'm not a fan of the transportation. If we can't walk or take the monorail we will drive (we make the drive from PA so we have our car). Epcot is my favorite out of all the parks so maybe it won't be so bad to kill a few hours there in the morning/afternoon before our room is ready and then just call it an early night and relax before heading over to BLT.

IMO you should do a bonus night or two at all DVC resorts before buying as a home resort or staying there long term.

Everyone has different likes and dislikes. Some may love their resort and post only positives while others may dislike a resort and bring up all negatives.

Bottom line is it doesn't matter what others think, It only matters what you think and I applaud you for checking other resorts out.

:earsboy: Bill

I definitely agree. We currently own points at BLT, which we love for many different reasons. We are always so afraid to go outside our norm in case we don't like it. We did a bonus night at OKW last year and we couldn't wait to get out of there, but several months later we realized the reasons why we didn't like it and figured it was probably not your average scenario, so we will probably give it another go later on. So, from here on out we are going to add an extra night to our trips at a resort we haven't stayed at before to determine if its something we would like to do for an entire week at some point ;)

We will be going in January, but from previous experiences it has been unbearably hot and very cold, sometimes both in the same trip. LOL. We have a picture of everyone in winter coats and hats on splash mountain, one of my favorite pics. How far of a walk to Epcot is it from BCV? Is it equivalent to the walk from BLT to MK? That's one of the main reasons we always stay at BLT, I'm not a fan of the transportation. If we can't walk or take the monorail we will drive (we make the drive from PA so we have our car). Epcot is my favorite out of all the parks so maybe it won't be so bad to kill a few hours there in the morning/afternoon before our room is ready and then just call it an early night and relax before heading over to BLT.

We totally understand. We love January, but we've worn heavy coats, hats, and gloves, and we swam this year! I can't say that I've truly timed the walk. We just stayed at BCV in January. We were on the fifth floor ALL the way at the end (not that far :laughing:), and I think it took us 5-10 minutes from the room, to the elevator, to the park. We usually stay at BWV (our home) and it is 10-15 minutes depending on room location. We walk at a leisurely pace, so you could certainly make it faster by hustling. I think BCV to International Gateway is much closer than BLT to MK. I'd say BWV to IG is about the same as BLT to MK.

I agree with you - Epcot is my favorite, and I love being that close. No matter what park we're at in the morning, we often end up at Epcot in the evening. If you try BCV (or BWV), you'll fall in love with the location. Good luck!

Haha. I think we are settled on BCV, but what is storm along bay??

It is the pool area that Yacht and Beach club share. They have a huge sand bottom pool and great slide. Guests only, they have wristbands at the location.

Our favorite pool at WDW.

I've done this before and added deluxe DDP for that one night. I hardly ever get a dining plan. But when I have one or two nights somewhere I have added the deluxe.

Also, I sometimes share meals, by choice for not feeling stuffed with appetizer, entree and dessert, so for one night last year - I had five meals over two days.

Enjoy.

BCV!!! I love this area especially if you're not doing a park. There is so much to see around the Boardwalk area. Epcot is a hop, skip, and a jump away so you can see much of the Illuminations fireworks. Beaches and Cream is super gummy, and if you luck up and get warm January weather , the pool is great. I don't know if they do the stories around the fire, roasted marshmallows, and movie on the beach in January or not. I would think it is year round, but we stayed there in the summer.

I've done this before and added deluxe DDP for that one night. I hardly ever get a dining plan. But when I have one or two nights somewhere I have added the deluxe.

Also, I sometimes share meals, by choice for not feeling stuffed with appetizer, entree and dessert, so for one night last year - I had five meals over two days.

Enjoy.

I didn't even think of that. I swear we go to Disney just to eat... LOL

BCV!!! I love this area especially if you're not doing a park. There is so much to see around the Boardwalk area. Epcot is a hop, skip, and a jump away so you can see much of the Illuminations fireworks. Beaches and Cream is super gummy, and if you luck up and get warm January weather , the pool is great. I don't know if they do the stories around the fire, roasted marshmallows, and movie on the beach in January or not. I would think it is year round, but we stayed there in the summer.

We may go to Epcot after all since its so close. Beaches and Cream is one of the main reasons I want to try out BCV. I won't be doing the kitchen sink, but their sundaes look amazing!!!

We may go to Epcot after all since its so close. Beaches and Cream is one of the main reasons I want to try out BCV. I won't be doing the kitchen sink, but their sundaes look amazing!!!

We always get the mudslide and add caramel. Yummy! Can't wait. We'll be there in less than two weeks!

:) DH and I have done the opposite this year. Our first night is at BLT (Halloween Night), which I got just a couple of days ago. It is a lakeview studio. Then we meet my parents at AKV-Jambo for 8 nights. :cool1:

Home resort is AKV...but I am excited to stay some place different...I couldn't pass up the opportunity to try it.

Dumb question- how do you get all your luggage from one hotel to the other? I have 3 kids and we have a LOT of stuff when we travel.

Dumb question- how do you get all your luggage from one hotel to the other? I have 3 kids and we have a LOT of stuff when we travel.

You check your luggage with Bell Services and they will transfer the luggage to your next Disney hotel or DVC resort. Then when you get into your room at the new resort you call that resort's Bell Services and request your luggage be brought to your room.

We usually keep a bag with swimsuits and sunscreen with us. And I always carry my medications with me. But other than that every else is transferred via Bell Services including refrigerated or freezer food items. We tip the BS CM that delivers the items to the new room.

You check your luggage with Bell Services and they will transfer the luggage to your next Disney hotel or DVC resort. Then when you get into your room at the new resort you call that resort's Bell Services and request your luggage be brought to your room.

We usually keep a bag with swimsuits and sunscreen with us. And I always carry my medications with me. But other than that every else is transferred via Bell Services including refrigerated or freezer food items. We tip the BS CM that delivers the items to the new room.

I never realized you could do that! Awesome! We'll have to give it a try. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter