Boo to the Halloween on the Highs Seas Crew

jenseib

Mommy to Claire
Hi all!

I am Jen! Welcome to my latest trip report.
For those who don’t know me, welcome! I like to write trip reports and relive my vacations. Sadly it is getting harder and harder for me to do and I am not sure I will be able to continue to do so in the future.

I tend to write slowly, so bear with me if I don’t update every day. Work and life get in the way and take priority for me.

I am a mom of 3 and a grandmother of 1.

My husband is Skip, and he did not go on this trip with us this time. My older 2 children are in their 20’s and do not normally travel with us anymore. My youngest, Claire usually goes with me when possible and she was on this magnificent trip.

Claire is now 12, but 11 on this trip......

When?

This trip took place Oct. 19-30, 2016.

Where?

This trip started at Disney World with a few pre-cruise days. We did not do the parks though, with the exception of the Mickey’s Not so Scary Halloween Party. We then boarded the Disney Fantasy for a week long cruise, ending with a night’s stay at Universal Orlando.

Who?

We had a big group this cruise.

Claire and I, My mom and sister Amanda, My Sister Gail and her family, (Rob, Alexis and Abby), My Aunt Mary and Uncle Geoff, My Aunt Laura and Uncle Jan, My cousin Katie and her family, (Thad, Jude, Luke, & Violet) and Katie’s Mom Vicki.

For those who have read my previous reports…you may realize someone else missing…my Dad. That’s always a story unto itself.

001 by Jenseib, on Flickr

This cruise has been 4 years in the making….Let me fill you in the long story before we get to the fun.

We cruised with a lot of these members back in 2012 on the Disney Dream for 4 nights and had a fantastic time. Everyone wanted to do a repeat, only this time longer. We talked about it here and there and something always stopped us from being able to get us all together again. Finally about a year or so ago we decided that 2016 would be the year!

We had to work around different schedules and school functions and finally decided on the Oct. 22 sail of the Fantasy.

Even though it was decided, we still had some iffy members. Katie, Vicki and I booked in early spring to be sure the prices would not rise anymore. It wasn’t till May before everyone else finally fully committed and put deposits down.

We told my dad the dates and his immediate reply was NO! Now if you have read some of my other reports, my dad ALWAYS says no immediately without ever thinking it through. For some reason he thinks if he says he is not going then my mom will stay home. It has NEVER happened and I don’t know why he does this. We have had a couple of trips where dad has said he is not going right up to the very last minute and then decides he wants to come. Which means we have to rearrange rooms, reservations, etc. It’s a HUGE pain and he has no clue what it involves because he does no planning at all and just joins thinking everything is fine.

We told my dad from day 1 that a cruise is different than a hotel room and you just can’t decide to come along at the last minute. With cruising they can only add you to a room if they are not at capacity and if the lifeboat station in that room’s area has room as well. Just because a room can hold 4 does not mean you can always have 4 in that room.

He was adamant he could not come as he would be busy with work in Oct (he has a lawn care business) and there was no way he could get away.

Skip also said he could not come because of his farm duties at the time.

Ok, so we are all set right?

Mom said she would room with Claire and I since Dad wasn’t coming along. And since she was going to be added to our room, she said she would pay the extra to get a bigger room. So I made that change.

Gail’s family was all set. Aunt Mary and Geoff got a connecting room to Gail. Katie had 2 of her kids in her room with a connecting room to Vicki, with her son Luke rooming with his Grandma.

Perfect!

My sister Amanda knew we were going, but she didn’t have enough vacation time to take off, so she said right away she would not come. Also, on the last cruise, she and my Aunt Laura basically made fun of us all doing a Disney cruise. I think after we got home, Amanda had kind of wished she had gone back then. Amanda also has found out over the past few years she has a lot of food allergies and was worried they could not accommodate her even though I told her they could.

Fast forward to mid-June.

I get a call from Aunt Laura that says she would like to come on the cruise and she would like to take Amanda as her guest. I talk back and forth between the 2 of them and we finally find a room that works for them and we book them.

Ok ,that worked out fine and it would be nice to have Amanda joining us so she could have fun with the nieces.

Planning goes on for all of us and we make our excursions and all that fun stuff.

Flights! Holy cow. I have never seen them so high. I finally book Claire, Mom and I to arrive on Oct. 20. I keep watching the return flights but they are just so high. I now think that we may need to spend a night after the cruise because Sunday flights are much cheaper than Sat. flights for us. I would rather pay for a hotel room and stay longer than put that money into air. I’ll keep watching.

Now we are at mid-August. Aunt Laura sends me a text while I am grocery shopping. She says to call her as her husband Jan now wants to come and we will need to switch rooms around. Holy cow! I text her back that I will call her when I get home and do so.

Now we need to move Amanda and Aunt Laura says we can put my Mom in the room with her so that there is 2 in that room, and also give Claire and I a little more space. Because we were past the paid in full mark it took quite some time moving everyone to where they needed to be and getting names switched, etc. Then the excursions all couldn’t be carried over so I had to go back in and fix as much as I could and make notes where we had to check for openings once on the ship. Let’s just say that was one LONG day!

OK… NO more changes allowed!

Flights! I have now found out that Claire does not have school on the 19 and only a half day on the 20th. Let’s go a day early! I rebook the flight and get a $40 credit for each of us to use for our return.

I keep watching and watching for our return flight to go down and it doesn’t. Finally one day I catch the Sunday flight at the lowest I have seen it. I jumped right on it and I am so glad. It went up higher and higher after that.

Our vacation is now Oct. 19- Oct. 30. The rest of the family is coming down on the 21 and returning on the 29th.

We are all staying at Coronado Springs resort for the pre-cruise portion and then Claire, Mom and I will stay in a Cabana Bay Suite at Universal our last night before flying home. We have now also decided to add the Blue Man Group show that evening as well.

Now we are into late Sept. Abby’s birthday party was the last weekend of the month. We are having a nice time celebrating her 7th birthday and we are all talking about the cruise as well since we are just a few weeks away now. Dad now says he wants to come. We have told him over and over that after the paid in full date there was no adding him. We had to make a deadline and we had to follow through with it.

We tell him we don’t know if it can be done. He would not be flying down with us as that would make him away from work too long, so we look at the flights the rest of the family has. It was close to $700 now for him to fly. He will not fly on his own, so any other options that might possibly be cheaper could not even be looked at.

I called to see how much it would be to add him to Mom and Amanda’s room and it was over 1200. On top of that we would have to add him to excursions and pre-night stays.

It was going to easily be over $2000 to add him. On top of that, Amanda did not want him to stay in the room with her. I don’t blame her either. He snores for one, which makes it hard to sleep. And he takes over the room. He is king of the remote,…..you get the picture. I’ve been there a few times now and he has been added to my room when I was rooming with mom and I had said from day 1 of this planning that never again would that happen.

We looked at getting Amanda yet another room and the cost was just going to be too much.

Mom asked him if he had any money saved to put towards adding him and he said no and she told him it just wasn’t going to work. She was not about to dish out $2000 plus just a few weeks before we left. She said had he wanted to go in the first place then she could have budgeted for him to join us, but at this point in time she didn’t have him in the budget now and she knows him. He brings $100 on vacation and thinks that will cover every expense needed. LOL!

That’s it! No changes will be made now. Everyone must make peace with the choices they have made!

Let the final countdown begin!

Oh wait…What is this email from school? We are sorry to say that we WILL be having school on Oct. 19th due to a scheduling error. We will take off Oct. 26th instead.

Yeah…that email came to me on Oct.15. You have got to be kidding me? We planned leaving the 19th because Claire didn’t have school that day! Well in the end she was still missing the same amount of days, but it was pretty annoying that they couldn’t get that figured out till just a few days before the actual date.

Well now it’s time to leave…..Did we get all the kinks out before arriving? Let’s hope so! Join me in this fabulous vacation as I relive the ups and downs with my Boo to You Halloween Crew!

I'm here! Oh my the family drama! I hope it all worked out in the end! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Claire and I, My mom and sister Amanda, My Sister Gail and her family, (Rob, Alexis and Abby), My Aunt Mary and Uncle Geoff, My Aunt Laura and Uncle Jan, My cousin Katie and her family, (Thad, Jude, Luke, & Violet) and Katie’s Mom Vicki.

That is a huge group. I love the embarkation photo.

We cruised with a lot of these members back in 2012 on the Disney Dream for 4 nights and had a fantastic time.

I can't believe that this trip was so long ago. I think this was the first of your trip reports that I read.

It sounds like had an absolute nightmare with all the changes and additions.

Corinna

I love your trip reports and will happily be following along! I'm sorry for so much family confusion, but how wonderful is your large group! Two years ago, we sailed with 16 family members, and I just loved it! Oh, how I so wish we could do that again!! For now, I'll be vicariously living through your great family group... :)

I'm here! Looking forward to hearing all about your trip!

Crazy with all the changes. Maybe this time your dad will learn he can't change his mind at the last minute.

Hopping on board with you! Love your trip reports Jen!

Thanks for joining in!

I'm here! Oh my the family drama! I hope it all worked out in the end! Can't wait to hear all about it!

We always have some sort of family drama. We do get a long pretty good but there usually is one thing that goes wrong for someone. This time it was mainly my Dad! LOL

That is a huge group. I love the embarkation photo.

It was, but it was so much fun too. We had a good time.

I can't believe that this trip was so long ago. I think this was the first of your trip reports that I read.

I know. It's hard to believe it was 4 years ago. I have cruised a twice since then on DCL and it seems like I have done more of those too.

It sounds like had an absolute nightmare with all the changes and additions.

It was and I was lucky to have a fantastic CM the one day who worked with me to get everything straightened out.

I love your trip reports and will happily be following along! I'm sorry for so much family confusion, but how wonderful is your large group! Two years ago, we sailed with 16 family members, and I just loved it! Oh, how I so wish we could do that again!! For now, I'll be vicariously living through your great family group... :)

Thanks for stopping by! It really is so much fun to have everyone there. I would love to talk them into a Holiday cruise sometime. Instead of laying on the couch we could be laying at the pool with a beer or playing bingo!

I am here. Now going back to read. ;)

Hi Karin!!!!

Welcome!!! Glad you could make it.

I'm here! Looking forward to hearing all about your trip!

Crazy with all the changes. Maybe this time your dad will learn he can't change his mind at the last minute.

Thanks for joining! And I think he did....somewhat.

I was planning to get my first update in, but Skip just came in and we are headed out to dinner, so I will do that tomorrow morning!

Oct. 19, 2016, Wednesday

The day has arrived! Finally all this planning was going to pay off!

I typically like to fly on Southwest and I typically will drive to Columbus and fly out of there as they offer direct flights and the prices are usually better. Detroit is our other option (and where most of the rest of the family flew out of) but they don’t usually have direct on Southwest. I either fly on points or am trying to accumulate more points, so SW is who I usually look at first.

Mom decided we would take her car down as it has more space than mine. We were also going to do something different this trip. We were going to park at the airport. Since Amanda, Laura and Jan (who all live in Columbus) were all coming too, they were finishing up with work and errands this week before they flew down on Friday, so it was hard to arrange them to take us to the airport. They have several lots at the airport and I think the one we decided to park in was only going to be $5 a day, which I didn’t think was bad at all.

Mom arrived bright and early and we loaded up her car. I am pretty good about squeezing things in and after playing with it a bit we got it all in the trunk and back seat and still a little bit of room for Claire to sit too. LOL.

arrival1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

depart1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Mom had me do the driving so we headed off. Not too long after we got on the expressway we saw this beauty.

arrival2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I had Claire take a picture, which it is hard to tell, but that is a camouflage car. (I almost didn’t see it. Hahahaha). Yeah, I am not sure why anyone would want one of those, but there it was.

We always tease Claire when we see an ugly car that that is what we will be getting her when she turns 16. She doesn’t think it’s so funny!

We always stop at a McDonalds that is about at the halfway point and use the bathroom and usually get a diet coke or something. I think we got breakfast food today though as we were hungry!

I had my phone set to direct me to the airport as usually I am driving to my sisters or Aunts house. I have never actually driven to the airport myself before. Luckily it wasn’t too hard.

We pulled up and emptied our suitcases out and checked in at the curb. I sent my carryon with Claire and I took off in the car to find the green lot. I followed the signs and then they just kind of disappeared. I ended up going to a parking lot of some business and turned around to see if I could find it again and I did. I could see how I missed it. The sign was right by the overpass and from the direction I had been coming from the overpass blocked it pretty much.

I took my ticket and found a spot, but then I forgot to take a picture of the spot, which made it a little bit harder to find when I came back 1 ½ weeks later. LOL.

A shuttle had been pulling right up as I got out of the car so I think that is why I was in such a hurry and didn’t take a picture of the area.

I got a text from Claire asking where I was. I let her know I was on the shuttle and would be there soon. Honestly I didn’t even think I was gone very long yet.

Now if you read my Feb. trip reports, you heard me rave about my new Samantha Brown luggage. I LOVE this stuff. In Feb I had purchased and teal ombre colored carryon and a tweed maroon 28 Inch spinner suitcase. Since then I had purchased a yellow carry on which we checked as a 3rd bag for Claire and I and also the 28 inch spinner in the teal ombre.

I got on the shuttle and noticed the same teal set sitting on the shelf and I asked who had the Samantha Brown luggage. A lady piped up it was hers and I told her how I had the same set and we talked luggage and Samantha Brown the whole ride to the airport. She loves it as much as I do.

Once back at the airport, both Mom and Claire said I have been gone forever. I wasn’t, but I suppose if you had to wait on someone the clock seems to tick slower.

We made our way towards security then. This summer I had applied and was approved for Global Entry. This ROCKS! I got to use it for the first time in July/Aug when I flew to Jamaica. Going through the fast security lines are so much nicer and coming through customs was a breeze too. For those who don’t know, Global Entry also includes TSA pre-check and kids 12 and under can come through that line with you. Since I had that, I told my mom that she may want to look into at least getting TSA pre-check and that that office was actually located right by her office, so she did that.

Now Columbus doesn’t typically have very long lines for security, but coming back…..well you all know how awful Orlando can be.

There was a little bit of a line today, though nothing compared to some other places. We got through quickly and of course part of the perk is to not have to take off shoes and all that good stuff.

We found our way to the gate, again Columbus isn’t very big, so they really don’t have very many gates, and we settled down right next to a spot where we could plug in electronics. Claire and I headed to Starbucks and got Strawberry Frappuccino’s and a couple of pastries to snack on. Mom went off and got a treat then after we got back.

As it got closer to boarding time we all used the bathroom and then it was time to line up.

We were in the A’s, which is always a good thing and we boarded the plane and found a nice row and I was in charge of lifting the carry ons into the overhead bin.

This is where things were a little strange. I start putting our stuff in and the lady in the row in front of us says something about needing room for her other bag. She has her stuff all sideways across the whole bin. I say, oh, well the bags are not in right, let me fix it and then there is plenty of room for all of us. I just thought at the time she didn’t know how to load them. She kind of got panicky but I was whipping my bags up there and I think she realized I wasn’t stopping. There was still plenty of room for 1 and possibly even 2 bags up there.

We get seated and then someone goes to the inside seat in her row. She tells him the seat next to her is taken, but the inside is ok. He goes to put his bag up and she complains about it and he goes across the aisle to put his bag, which I now realize her daughter was sitting in that row saving 2 seats there as well. She mentions that they are saving overhead space there too. I mention if she loads the bag right then there is room and she just keeps saying no. Well the guy put his bag in there anyways.

I then start saying loudly to my mom…”You know….you can’t really save seats on Southwest and for sure you can’t save overhead space.” LOL. I think this lady was clueless though.

So the plane loads and she is saving those precious 3 other seats and as people come by and ask to sit she says no. She also makes a big deal that she has a cast on her leg. I do feel bad for her for that, but I don’t think anyone else cared.

She goes to the over heads and starts to try and move luggage but a flight attendant stops her.

Finally her friend and another younger girl boards….They were the 2nd to last people to board. So she had been holding these seats the WHOLE time almost everyone on this flight were boarding. She points them to the row her daughter is saving and they proceed to try and cram their bags in and banging away. A flight attendant takes one bag towards the back. Hahaha.

So she has saved this 3rd extra seat, the one next to her for NO ONE. She just wanted an empty seat next to her. The flight is not 100% full….I think the flight attendant said something like 2 or 3 seats would be open. There are people towards the back that are still looking for seats so the flight attendant hollers that there is a seat up here. This lady is going NO ! NO! And the flight attendant ignores her and the person comes to sit there. Of course then this lady makes a big deal that she has to get up with her broken leg. My mom and I just gave each other smiles. What a pain in the butt!

arrival3 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We are now finally loaded and ready to take off……And the guy in front of me puts his seat in recline as we are on the runway. Seriously!!!!! How does he not know you can’t do that? And he never puts it upright till we are about to land in Orlando.

I have a pet peeve of reclined seats to begin with. I know they don’t go back far, but they are so annoying. I was working on my laptop and that makes it just that much harder to do anything when the seat is reclined. And since he was such a jerk as to put it back during take-off I was not careful with the bumping and jerking I did on the seat as I made it work for my laptop to be seen by me.

Other than the idiots in the row in front of me, the flight was fine.

arrival4 by Jenseib, on Flickr

As we were coming into Orlando I was trying to see if I could see the cruise port. I was pretty sure I saw Kennedy Space Center at one point but I could never actually see the port.

arrival5 by Jenseib, on Flickr

arrival6 by Jenseib, on Flickr

arrival7 by Jenseib, on Flickr

arrival8 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And we have made it!!!! Yay!!!!!!

We make it off the plane, use the bathroom and take the fake monorail over and make our way towards Magical Express. We first make a stop outside to check out the weather, which was fabulous and then off to get checked in for our bus.

arrival9 by Jenseib, on Flickr

arrival10 by Jenseib, on Flickr

arrival11 by Jenseib, on Flickr

arrival12 by Jenseib, on Flickr

We ended up waiting something like 20 minutes before we were called to board. I was getting impatient but trying to stay calm. I always just want to hurry up and get there!

arrival13 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dme1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dme2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dme3 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dme4 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Finally our line is called and we board the bus and get some seats.

dme5 by Jenseib, on Flickr

And off we go!!!

arrival14 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The monorail is being redone and I took some pictures of it on our way.

dme6 by Jenseib, on Flickr

dme7 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Kind of neat to see a guy just walking down it.

dme8 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I'm in! Loving all the family drama as always. But I KNOW you weren't surprised by ANY of it.

High five to your mom for holding her ground on your dad's last minute change of heart.

It sounds a lot like our house where nothing is ever settled if it hasn't happened yet.

Love the photo of Claire barely fitting in beside all that luggage!

Love the story of the lady trying to hold the seats. And the overhead bin space? LOL. I'm so glad she was unsuccessful! I usually keep my backpack on the floor under the seat in front of me, but I might have had to put it up in the bin when I realized what she was up to. :p

That pic of Claire in the back seat with all of the luggage reminds me a little of you on the way to the port when we cruised last year :lmao:

Oh. My. Dog.

That woman saving seats and overhead bin space takes the cakes!!! :earseek:

Some people just feel like the world owes them something, I know a few like her :rolleyes2 I am SO glad she didn't get her way! Too often, luck favours them :sad2:

No wonder we get along, we are so similar! I would have done the same thing, chatted loudly about not saving seats and bin space LOL! And then, just like you, I would become extremely clumsy all of a sudden and accidentally hit my tray table over and over again :rolleyes: :p I think airlines need to disable the recline on ALL seats!!!

That second pic of the coast, that is Daytona Beach, I would have loved to fly over DB, that's where we used to stay when I was a kid. We always come in the other side so we never get to see that coast :sad1:

Looking forward to the next chapter popcorn::

That is some precision packing. I love the blue DCL carry on. This looks like my DCL Dooney pouchette.

Since I had that, I told my mom that she may want to look into at least getting TSA pre-check and that that office was actually located right by her office, so she did that.

I did not know that you can actually subscribe to TSA pre-check on its own.

Finally her friend and another younger girl boards….They were the 2nd to last people to board. So she had been holding these seats the WHOLE time almost everyone on this flight were boarding. She points them to the row her daughter is saving and they proceed to try and cram their bags in and banging away. A flight attendant takes one bag towards the back. Hahaha.

I can't believe this kind of selfish behaviour.

There are people towards the back that are still looking for seats so the flight attendant hollers that there is a seat up here. This lady is going NO ! NO! And the flight attendant ignores her and the person comes to sit there.

I am glad that she did not get away with this stunt.

And the guy in front of me puts his seat in recline as we are on the runway.

You must have every clueless passenger in the area on that flight. This just makes me cringe.

This area looks completely different.

Corinna

I like to write trip reports and relive my vacations. Sadly it is getting harder and harder for me to do and I am not sure I will be able to continue to do so in the future.

Bummer. I totally get it, but I do love your reports.

That’s it! No changes will be made now. Everyone must make peace with the choices they have made!

This sounds like my husband.

Yeah…that email came to me on Oct.15. You have got to be kidding me?

Seriously?!? Our school calendar for next year will be out in the next two weeks. The only thing that will change it will be weather or physical plant issues like a broken water main.

I forgot to take a picture of the spot,

I totally do that. So helpful.

I can't even decide what to say about the lady on tour flight.

Keep it up! Great report so far.

Following. I LOVE your trip reports and hope you reconsider continuing to write them. I think you could write for a travel magazine!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!