Booked our 1st RC cruise & we have questions!

I highly recommend finding the Roll Call for your sailing on Cruise critic and sign up for the Meet and Greet (or Mix and Mingle depending on the cruise line). If the group is organized, the ship may send officers to the gathering as well. This is a great time to pick up cards/direct numbers to contact people to help resolve any issues that may arise. They know this group of people will be very active online, so they go over and above trying to make sure that you have an outstanding experience!

If you know you want to eat at 6 everyday, then you can request the early dining, but we prefer the flexibility of My Time. You can make daily reservations based on your preferred dining times (we often dine later on port days). Or you can just show up for the dining room whenever you are ready. Usually from 5:30 to 6 you can walk right in and be seated immediately. There may be a line during peak dining times often from 6:30 to 8:20, but it varies based on the itinerary and evening plans. If you love your waiters, you can ask to be seated with them again and again, or you can try a new team the next night.

Also, look for daily specials from the spa. We have never used them, but they are always advertising discounts in the stateroom flyers.

Shore excursions can be booked independently or through RC. Some will fill as soon as you get onboard, but everything is usually available a couple weeks before sailing. You do have to pay for everything as soon as you book it, so you can't use obc for anything booked in advance.

Just relax and have fun. We enjoy the trivia and live music. Game shows are fun, but the Love and Marriage show and late night comedy are definitely NOT kid friendly.

Oh, and try to spend half a day at NASA on your way to or from Galveston!

I highly recommend finding the Roll Call for your sailing on Cruise critic and sign up for the Meet and Greet (or Mix and Mingle depending on the cruise line). If the group is organized, the ship may send officers to the gathering as well. This is a great time to pick up cards/direct numbers to contact people to help resolve any issues that may arise. They know this group of people will be very active online, so they go over and above trying to make sure that you have an outstanding experience!

If you know you want to eat at 6 everyday, then you can request the early dining, but we prefer the flexibility of My Time. You can make daily reservations based on your preferred dining times (we often dine later on port days). Or you can just show up for the dining room whenever you are ready. Usually from 5:30 to 6 you can walk right in and be seated immediately. There may be a line during peak dining times often from 6:30 to 8:20, but it varies based on the itinerary and evening plans. If you love your waiters, you can ask to be seated with them again and again, or you can try a new team the next night.

Also, look for daily specials from the spa. We have never used them, but they are always advertising discounts in the stateroom flyers.

Shore excursions can be booked independently or through RC. Some will fill as soon as you get onboard, but everything is usually available a couple weeks before sailing. You do have to pay for everything as soon as you book it, so you can't use obc for anything booked in advance.

Just relax and have fun. We enjoy the trivia and live music. Game shows are fun, but the Love and Marriage show and late night comedy are definitely NOT kid friendly.

Oh, and try to spend half a day at NASA on your way to or from Galveston!

This is spectacular information, thank you for sharing it. We're already talking about making a standing reservation for each night. As others have said, we can adjust it the day of if we decide to. I'll check out Cruise Critic's info this afternoon. Thanks for the insight!

I am going to jump in and mooch all of this good info! TY to all of the PP's that have added all of the explanations, tips and hints! We are sailing LoTS January 7, 2018. Nothing like a reeeeallly long wait, right? :lovestruc

Just joining in this thread. I am a Disney Cruise Line vet (going on DCL cruise #9 in February, but cruise #24 in general). We will be sailing on RCCL's Independence of the Seas next July/August for a 14 night Mediterranean cruise! We had the Disney Magic booked for just 7 nights and it was almost $8k for one inside stateroom. We are paying just a few hundred dollars more and we get an extra week AND an extra cabin...booked 2 connecting Promenade Views for our family of 4! This will be our first time sailing on RCCL, so I hope we like it. We LOVE DCL, but aren't DCL snobs, meaning we have cruised NCL even more than we have cruised DCL, so I know not to compare every detail to DCL. Thanks for any info you posted on this thread!

connecting Promenades are AWESOME. the window seats alone looking out over the Promenade are worth it. great views of the parades and some of the entertainment.

connecting Promenades are AWESOME. the window seats alone looking out over the Promenade are worth it. great views of the parades and some of the entertainment.
This is so great to hear! The room looked spacious with the couch AND the window seat. And of course being able to get some light in the cabin is great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter