• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Booking airlines months ahead, any advice??

jimmytammy

<font color=purple>Swivel, it's a hard habit to br
Im striking out on finding reasonable rates by booking mos in advance. I prefer direct flights and usually get better rates on these type flights. With the airlines hurting financially it seems they would try to hold prices down but looks to me like they have jumped considerably, almost like punishment for those of us who havent let Osama whats his name scare us off.

Didnt mean to babble, just looking for some veteran frequent flyers advice.

Hi jimmytammy,
We're kind of in the same boat,lol...Our trip is in May, and I've been doing the same as you, in looking for reasonable airfare from NJ/Philly.

Can't say that the rates are horrible, but they aren't 'deals' either. Might not even find any, but I hope to:)

At this point, we're probably going to drive, and that's okay with us.

Good Luck!

My only advice is make the reservation online on a Monday or Tuesday. Delta from Newark-Orlando is currently showing $211.00 but it goes up on Weds-Sun to $221.00. I'm hanging in a while but $211.00 isn't really that bad. Supposedly new fares come out on Tuesday at Midnight but so far they haven't gone down below the $211.00(This is for travel in June 2003)

I'm wondering the same thing. I've never had fares over $205 from Toledo or Detroit to MCO. We would like to fly down on Sat. for our Sunday cruise, and drive back the following Sunday from VWL. The lowest fares I just found on old reliable Delta. com were $363!! For 5 of us, that will not happen--we'll have to drive, leaving Friday afternoon and hoping for the best driving straight through (the kids have activities they can't miss that morning--and on July 7 AM, so we might have to drop a night of VWL if we drive.)
Travelocity has a neat thing--you choose two flights at $215, then it says "sorry, the price has changed to $275--(or $360, depending on the flight)". Expedia has a couple at $220, but even though I put "evening" in departure the latest leaving is 2PM. Which may be better than driving--but its $100 more than we usually spend.
Robin M.

Rock'n Robin have you checked Northwest out of DTW? I just checked qixo.com and they have NWA, DTW to MCO $223.00. ~:D~

I wanted a good rate from LAX to MCO for 7 of us. I knew I could get Southwest for about $200 but I wanted American for more leg room (we're all tall.) I signed up for American Airlines e-mail notification registration (don't know what it's called- you put in the airports you're interested in and they notify you by e-mail if a special fare comes up) in September for a January trip. Well, they e-mailed me about a two day east coast special and I got tickets for $185rt on American, non-stop. So my suggestion is to sign up for notification if the airline website has it and try to be patient.

Know the typical rate and check everyday for the next month or so......I've found that if a sale happens it is usually for just 1 day so you must be checking to get a sale.......

From Philly....I'd say anything under $200 lately is a pretty good price....not sure about the other areas....Also, try other airports....

Know the typical rate and check everyday for the next month or so......I've found that if a sale happens it is usually for just 1 day so you must be checking to get a sale.......

From Philly....I'd say anything under $200 lately is a pretty good price....not sure about the other areas....Also, try other airports....

Our trip this past December we waited until about the end of August to make air travel and had to take what we could get b/c the good stuff was gone!! This year I plan on checking periodically on the fares to see what the "rock bottom" price would be and then in the spring I can have something to compare it to. Prices fluctuate all the time and it is hard not knowing what the best price you can get is. I'm hoping to do better this year.

If your airports are served by a low-fare carrier like Southwest or Jet blue, wait until they open their schedules for your travel dates, the major airlines will usually drop their fares then to be competitive.

I just rechecked, although I haven't checked qixo.com--has anyone used them? So far Im getting the same thing--NWA has quoted prices at $215 on travelocity, but when you choose them it says "we're sorry the price has changed" and it's around $360--kind of a bait and switch if you ask me. Expedia has weird times. Delta's lowest is up to $393! I can get NWA on their site for $250. As I said, if we have to, we'll drive, although we'd either have to take a day off of our VWL stay or drive home straight through so the kids can be at their activities on Monday and DH can go to work.
Robin M.

I typically wait until about 3 to 4 months prior to my trip. I just booked our airfare from Seattle to MCO the end of March for $211 each on Delta. Spokane, WA is actually closer to us but as of now they are at least $150 MORE per ticket than the Seattle fares. It doesn't help that we are not flexible in the dates we are flying. We have to leave on a Friday and return on a Saturday. The Tues, Wed. or Thurs, flights always seem to be much cheaper.

For our area it seems that the rates don't change much in the last 3 months prior to the trip. Unless you are willing to take a really chance and wait until the last 2 weeks before your trip. Sometime you can find really great deals on the last minute trips.

I'd also suggest signing up for the airline's email specials - sometimes they do have good deals...

I always book out as far as possible and have NEVER found a cheaper price. We usually leave for a small regional airport so they rarely discount fares. I just booked our Thanksgiving 03 trip and will keep checking for a lower fare, if I find one, I will request a voucher for the difference. I usuall find fares from our smaller airport at $250 R/T and from a discounted airport in Flint at about $200 so those are good prices for me - 11 months out.

Rock'n Robin

Travelocity and Expedia stink when checking NWA flights. NWA limits the number of discounted flights (Q and K). You are better off booking at NWA.com for the lowest fare - IMHO. Also, NWA.com has flights 352 days out.

I'm still waiting for fares to drop for my May trip too ... I'm thinking of flying out of Buffalo because the taxes in Toronto are toooo high! If I have enough frequent flier points, I may try for a free ticket ... I'm waiting for the points from my Christmas purchases.

I'm surprised by the prices as well ... I thought the airlines would want to encourage travel by dropping the prices. Especially since you hear of so many of them in financial trouble.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter