Booking Question

gmk82282

Earning My Ears
Hello. This is my first time posting. I’m not sure if this is the place or type of question to post, so if it is not, please just politely let me know. Ive seen some unfriendly responses on other boards which have made me a little skiddish to ask a question on line, but I don’t know where else to turn.

We’ve been DVC members since the 90’s when they first started. I’ve always done basic ressies and my family has benefited with a lifetime of memories. This year I want to do something a little different and I’ve been reading the boards every day during lunch, and I’m completely overwhelmed.

We own 150 at BWV, renewal month is September.
Current situation:
141 2017 banked
150 2018
150 2019
150 2020

I was hoping to book TWO 2br units for 4 nights November 8-12 at Beach Club. I understand I can’t do that until 7 months out. I don’t really have too may alternatives, right? Is posting a request on the board really a viable option? If I do that and someone accepts, I pay them back with cash, right, not a transfer of points?

I am thinking I’m better off booking at BWV with the 11 month window. Is that my safest bet considering I have many people counting on this trip? If I call on December 8th, to book for November 2019, will I be able to book using 2018, 2019, and 2020 points? Or am I limited to the #300 2018 and 2019 points?
Will it be hard to get these units?

Last question...my banked 2017 points...I can’t really use them between now and September. Will it be fairly easy to rent them using one of those companies? There is one I’ve been in touch with and it seems too easy to be true.

Thank you in advance. I’m sorry this is so long, and I know it’s not a huge or lengthy trip, but to us it’s very important as we will be bringing family together from different cities.

Unless you want to rent all the points for 2 2BR units at BCV, I think it's safe to assume you won't get them at 7 months. That is a busy, high demand weekend. Paying someone with a points transfer is uncommon, so you'd likely struggle to find a taker who both has the BCV points you'd need, AND who is willing to be paid via barter.

You should absolutely book your home resort if you want to use your own points, and assume you won't get BCV (or much of anything else, those dates).

The 141 banked points will not be available for a November 8-12 2019 trip. They must be used by the end of your 2018 UY, which will be August 31, 2019. If you need to rent them, contact an agency now. They will be easy to rent, but to get premium for BWV points you want to be booking in the home resort window.

Points available to book for November 8-12, 2019 will be your 150 2018 points (if you bank them first), the 150 2019, and the 150 2020 points (borrowed).

OK, so assuming you mean you have a September use year, your Nov 8-12, 2019 would be in your 2019 UY, so you could bank your 2018 points, use your 2019, and borrow your 2020 points. If I were you, I'd start with a booking at your home resort at 11 months. The predicted booking thread doesn't include 2 bedrooms, but it does look like it's in that busy DVC period. You can always try to switch at 7 months and replace that booking with one at Beach Club. If you have your heart set on Beach Club, you could try renting points from someone who owns there so you get that 11 month advantage, but of course then you'd have that extra expense and hassle of getting that reservation and then probably renting your own points to pay for it.

For your 2017 points, I've used a rental agency before once, and it was a pretty easy process. You could also try the rent/trade board here, but I've never used it personally.

The points question has been answered but to add that if you want BCV you'll have to rent for that. You could in turn rent out your points to get the cash to pay for the BCV rentals. Waitlists can come thru or you can luck into someone changing from BCV to another location and getting a room at 7 months but with your need for 2 rooms it's just not going to be guaranteed and would have a strong possibility of just switching 1 room and having 1 room remain at BWV.

So - either rent the reservations for BCV or stay at BWV is how I would expect it to go.

Thank you so much to auroraborealis, Lauren in NC, and KAT4Disney - very simple and understandable answers. I've gotten over my posting fear :) Will definitely be attempting to book at our home resort 11 months out. Fingers crossed.

The points question has been answered but to add that if you want BCV you'll have to rent for that. You could in turn rent out your points to get the cash to pay for the BCV rentals. Waitlists can come thru or you can luck into someone changing from BCV to another location and getting a room at 7 months but with your need for 2 rooms it's just not going to be guaranteed and would have a strong possibility of just switching 1 room and having 1 room remain at BWV.

So - either rent the reservations for BCV or stay at BWV is how I would expect it to go.

I was pretty much going to say what Kat4Disney said. Contact Davids Vacation Rentals. Pay the currently going rate of $17 a point and have him get someone to book it. Then, turn around and sell however many points you need to sell, to pay for it. Currently David's is paying either $13 or $14 a point, depending on where you own.

That being said, currently, at 11 months out, BCV has availability for 2-Bedroom units, but there is no good availability of 2 bedroom units at 7 months out.. I have real doubts that you will easily get TWO 2-Bedroom units, for those dates, at 7 months out.

You should be aware that your availability issue may be more complex than one might at first think.

It is doubtful you will be able to get even one BCV 2BR at 7 months out for the time you want in Nov, and you likely should not even plan for two, i.e., if you are lucky enough to get one, you may never get the second, and your group will end up in two different resorts. In other words, you should consider dropping any plan that requires getting two 2BRs at BCV using your points at 7 months out for that time period in November. If you really want two 2BRs at BCV for that time, your only real option is to rent the BCV rooms from one or two BCV owners who can rent you the rooms needed soon after the 11 month window opens.

You also have an 11 month issue at BWV. You mention calling to get the rooms at 11 months out. If you want standard view, and potentially even boardwalk view, calling at 9 a.m. at 11 months out may result in standard or boardwalk 2BRs being already filled. If you want both rooms in pool/garden view, you should be OK calling at 9. But for standard or boardwalk views, you should be online to make the reservations at exactly 8 a.m. eastern, and even then you may not get one or both rooms, although that is more a risk for standard view rather than boardwalk view.

Oh yes, what drsuba said! Definitely book online instead of waiting on the phone! If you're not sure how to do it, now's the time to get familiar with the website so you can book those rooms right at 8am at 11 months out!

Out curiosity why do you want BCV instead of your home resort, BWV? And I join others in encouraging you to book online at 8:00AM if you want BWV standard view.

Out curiosity why do you want BCV instead of your home resort, BWV? And I join others in encouraging you to book online at 8:00AM if you want BWV standard view.
I was wondering the same thing until I reread the first post and saw they were booking two bedroom villas. BCV has dedicated and BWV only has lockoffs.

book home resort at 8am. If you can get a 2 bed standard first but can't get a second one just book a pool/garden 2 bed for your second 2 bedroom. At least you will have 2.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!