Booking shows on the Oasis

JLitfin

love Disney
DVC Gold
We will be sailing on the Oasis of the Seas for the first time next April. We usually sail the smaller ships. Never have done a cruise where you need to book your shows ahead of time. What's your strategy for booking your reservations for the shows? Do you just book everything that's open or pick and choose the shows? I was told they open up reservations 40 days before our sail date. Thanks.

When the booking opens up I actually create a spreadsheet so I can see the times for all shows on one screen. We do fixed dining, so we work around that. If you do MTD you can work your dinner around the shows.

Once I figure out the schedule I then book everything, unless it’s something we’re not planning to watch.

What if you book all the shows and once you get onboard and decide against a couple of shows, do I need to cancel these shows or just not show up.

It is not necessary to cancel your shows. Your reservation is attached to your sea pass card and allows you to enter the venue I think up to 30 minutes before those without a reservation can begin entering. They will scan your sea pass card at the door to allow access before they open the door to all other guests. You can always cancel by using the RCCL website or by calling guest services once onboard.

When the booking opens up I actually create a spreadsheet so I can see the times for all shows on one screen. We do fixed dining, so we work around that. If you do MTD you can work your dinner around the shows.

Once I figure out the schedule I then book everything, unless it’s something we’re not planning to watch.

I did this also..I was coordinating a big group so I needed the visual...we pre-booked but you can get in standby (other than the diving show as sometimes it's cancelled so the standby can be busy)

another question, do you have to book all shows (I understand the evening shows in the big theater which we usually attend each evening), but do you also have to book the smaller shows let say in the piano bar, or any type of show in the bars, etc.

Oasis will probably have a second different aqua show and ice show, which would be first come, first serve. Bars should be the same.

Looking at things the other way, the only shows you should be able to book are the musical, original show, feature performer, comedy, featured ice show and featured aqua show. I feel like I’m missing one though.

I don't think it's unrealistic to be able to find a standing room spot. If you're not adverse to sitting separately you might be able to find seats, or find seats together at the front (where you WILL get wet).

If you've got Boardwalk Balcony close to the end the view will be obstructed, but you can watch.

One of the best views I've had was actually from what is now the Aquatheatre suite. And those balconies were also a great place to chill. A pity that Royal realized they could monetize it.

Just off the OASIS last Sunday

from what we saw you could get seats for the water show easily after the first time they did it. By mid cruise it barely filled half way. The only show we saw 'full' was the comedy show the night the late aqua show cancelled (wind). THAT nite the 1030 Comedy show had a LONG standby line and only about 1/4 of those got in. Note the comedy theater is SMALL. The shows that you can sign up for will appear in your 'cruise planner'. Routine entertainment like a piano bar or trivia is first come just like other cruises.

I don't think it's unrealistic to be able to find a standing room spot. If you're not adverse to sitting separately you might be able to find seats, or find seats together at the front (where you WILL get wet).

If you've got Boardwalk Balcony close to the end the view will be obstructed, but you can watch.

One of the best views I've had was actually from what is now the Aquatheatre suite. And those balconies were also a great place to chill. A pity that Royal realized they could monetize it.
We are looking at boardwalk balconies. I was wondering about some common areas in the back, do you mean they are no longer available to access?

That’s correct. Once upon a time they were, but now they are a part of the “aquatheatre suite” at the end of each hall.

I have heard a lot of stories about Norovirus on this ship. Has anyone had any experiences with this?

We booked one of the last regular balconies. From pics/videos of the cabin I've seen, the view is great.

OP sailing end of April, was able to book my shows/my time dining easily yesterday :)

Thanks, I also was able to book my shows. I was on the site the other day and discover that the shows where open for booking.

I see this thread is older now but in my experience, booking the shows and my dinner reservations was like Tetris. I found the spreadsheet method worked best for me. I secured my dinner reservations first because that was more important to me, and worked in the shows around my dinner times and port times, trying to allow enough time to see the port, or finish dinner and walk to the show. It was challenging at times with some shows only being offered once or twice a night and on one or two days of the sailing. We did see all the things reservations were required for, except Cats and the ice show.

how realistic is it to see the aqua show without having a seat?

Our aqua show was cancelled so we stopped by the theater another night. Didn't get a seat, but we stood along the railing to the far left side of the theater and saw it fine. Worked out well.

I have heard a lot of stories about Norovirus on this ship. Has anyone had any experiences with this?
I was on Oasis last week. No problems; there was none of the 'virus protocol' in effect where you can't serve yourself at the buffet and salt&pepper shakers are taken off the tables, etc. I think if you're unlucky enough to be on a cruise with folks who don't practice good hand washing hygiene, then you're at risk, no matter which ship you're on.

I was on Oasis last week. No problems; there was none of the 'virus protocol' in effect where you can't serve yourself at the buffet and salt&pepper shakers are taken off the tables, etc. I think if you're unlucky enough to be on a cruise with folks who don't practice good hand washing hygiene, then you're at risk, no matter which ship you're on.

Flu season applies to cruise ships too where a bug can spread quickly. I’m all for whatever protocols they elect to administer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!