Brainstorming for Thanksgiving!!

This is a favorite macaroni and cheese recipe.

INGREDIENTS:
2 cup macaroni
2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 cup grated cheese
dry bread crumbs

PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 400°.
Cook the macaroni until al dente, drain, and place in a casserole. Mix together the milk, salt, flour, and butter and cook in a double boiler until thick. Add the salt, pepper, dry mustard, and grated cheese, mix well, and heat stirring until the cheese is melted and well blended in.

Mrs. Disney Ron

I haven't tried this yet...but it sounds and looked heavenly!

Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

2 (14-ounce) packages gingerbread mix
1 (5.1-ounce) box cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
1 (30-ounce) can pumpkin pie filling
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon
1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping
1/2 cup gingersnaps, optional

Bake the gingerbread according to the package directions; cool completely. Meanwhile, prepare the pudding and set aside to cool. Stir the pumpkin pie filling, sugar, and cardamom into the pudding. Crumble 1 batch of gingerbread into the bottom of a large, pretty bowl. Pour 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the gingerbread, then add a layer of whipped topping. Repeat with the remaining gingerbread, pudding, and whipped topping. Sprinkle of the top with crushed gingersnaps, if desired. Refrigerate overnight. Trifle can be layered in a punch bowl.

Mrs. Disney Ron

These are yummy...they are great for tailgating on a cold day too!

Cocktail Recipe: Hot Apple Pie
1 oz Tuaca Liqueur
8 oz Hot Apple Cider

Mix Tuaca and Hot Apple Cider in a coffee mug. Stir with a cinnamon stick and then use it as a garnish.

Bake the gingerbread according to the package directions; cool completely. Meanwhile, prepare the pudding and set aside to cool. Stir the pumpkin pie filling, sugar, and cardamom into the pudding. Crumble 1 batch of gingerbread into the bottom of a large, pretty bowl. Pour 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the gingerbread, then add a layer of whipped topping. Repeat with the remaining gingerbread, pudding, and whipped topping. Sprinkle of the top with crushed gingersnaps, if desired. Refrigerate overnight. Trifle can be layered in a punch bowl.

Mrs. Disney Ron

I made this last year and it's very very good!

this ALL sounds sooo good!! How do I choose!?

Thanks for the recipes! Keep 'em coming!

My Nesco and crock pots are how I keep my meal warm, plus we serve buffet style -- too many people to do a sit-down dinner. First, I cook the turkey the day before as I'm usually cooking our free turkey from my husband's employer (about 12#) and then cooking 2 - 5# turkey breasts. My family prefers white meat. Then on Thanksgiving I put the already carved turkey meat and its juices in my Nesco to re-heat. This also leaves the oven free for other items. I make the gravy and cook that in a crock pot. I also make my mashed potatoes the day before (the kind with the sour cream and cream cheese) and then cook them in the crock pot on Thanksgiving. I also do my stuffing in a crock pot. Not only does this all keep my food warm, but I'm not spending my day cooking -- I can relax and spend time with my family.

INGREDIENTS
4 1/2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup milk
1 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup butter
1 cup chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
In a large bowl, mix together mashed sweet potatoes, 1/2 cup butter, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and eggs. Spread sweet potato mixture into the prepared baking dish. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and flour. Cut in 1/3 cup butter until mixture is crumbly, then stir in pecans. Sprinkle pecan mixture over the sweet potatoes.
Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.

Yum, this sounds great, I will definantly be trying this this holiday..... would this recipe work with canned sweet potatos????

Phyllo Wrapped Asparagus

Ingredients:
8 or 9 asparagus spears, depending on size
1/2 (16-ounce) package frozen phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Snap off tough ends of asparagus. Unwrap phyllo pastry and cut stack in half, lengthwise. Reserve remaining dough for a later use. Cover remaining phyllo lightly to keep dough from drying out. Take one piece of phyllo and brush lightly with melted butter. Sprinkle with cheese. Place 2 to 3 asparagus spears on short end of phyllo. Roll up, jelly-roll style. Place each piece, seam side down, on a baking sheet, brush with butter and sprinkle with cheese. Repeat until all the asparagus spears are rolled. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.

Yield: 3 to 4 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 to 18 minutes
Ease of Preparation: Easy

Recipe Courtesy of Paula Deen (Got to love Paula!)

We usually make these as appetizers. They are soooo good! We make them up the day before and then just popped them in the over when people started arriving. We experimented the last time and sprinkled them with a little garlic salt and they were even better! My mouth is watering now just thinking about them... Baby asparagus (or pencil sized) is much better than the larger asparagus. It tends to get a woody texture the bigger it gets.

We deep fry our turkey (which frees up oven space) and I have a double oven so I try to plan it that every thing comes out close to the same time or I keep it warm in the second oven. Plus my mom lives next door, so sometimes the rolls have to go in her oven. The timer went off one year and we checked everything not realizing it was for the rolls at her house... We had dark rolls that year.

Mrs. Disney Ron

i made this last year and it was soooooo yummy!

and mrs. disney ron off topic~ but i'm from ri too! :wave: where are you from???

i made this last year and it was soooooo yummy!

and mrs. disney ron off topic~ but i'm from ri too! :wave: where are you from???

:wave2: Party of 3...we live in Johnston. I grew up in East Providence. How about you?

:flower3: Mrs. Disney Ron/ Ann

:wave2: Party of 3...we live in Johnston. I grew up in East Providence. How about you?

:flower3: Mrs. Disney Ron/ Ann

I lived in Cumberland my whole life! My niece and my very best friend both live in Johnston. What a small world huh?!

Pumpkin Casserole

2 cups pumpkin puree
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup self-rising flour
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter
1 pinch ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Combine the pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, flour, eggs, vanilla, melted butter and ground cinnamon to taste. Spoon into a casserole dish.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour.

My Nesco and crock pots are how I keep my meal warm, plus we serve buffet style -- too many people to do a sit-down dinner. First, I cook the turkey the day before as I'm usually cooking our free turkey from my husband's employer (about 12#) and then cooking 2 - 5# turkey breasts. My family prefers white meat. Then on Thanksgiving I put the already carved turkey meat and its juices in my Nesco to re-heat. This also leaves the oven free for other items. I make the gravy and cook that in a crock pot. I also make my mashed potatoes the day before (the kind with the sour cream and cream cheese) and then cook them in the crock pot on Thanksgiving. I also do my stuffing in a crock pot. Not only does this all keep my food warm, but I'm not spending my day cooking -- I can relax and spend time with my family.

I have been thinking about cooking the turkey on Wed and having it all carved ahead of time but wasn't sure how it would reheat. Could you tell me what a Nesco is? I have crock pots and also have an electric roaster and am wondering if that would work. I dont want the turkey to get dried out, but would love to have everything done and cleaned up and enjoy my family instead of going nuts in the small kitchen! TIA Grammy:)

A Nesco is a roaster over. Sounds like your electric roaster would work. I save all the juices from cooking the turkey as well (minus whatever I used for the gravy) and reheat the carved turkey in its own juices. Tastes great!!! Good luck!:thumbsup2

Thanks for your reply! I think I am defenitely going to try it. Any idea about how long the meat needs to reheat. About an hour? I know the turkey tempertaure has to get up there on the meat thermometer and the oven shouldn't be below 325 but am unsure how long it will take. Happy Thanksgiving!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter