Brazil - the next likely pavilion

Coming soon to Epcot... Brazil.

Rio-gay-pride-500x338.jpg

travel-file-2427-600-500.jpg

98a0003ea6e77b9a61b5fa5e47ea74e1.jpg

Awesome to me!

Yeah, but it took Universal about 3 years to make it. While Disney took about 6 years to develop and construct Pandora. It feels like Disney has only one overweight worker running the cranes.

"Pedro as soon as you're done with Pandora you gotta start on Star Wars. Bob Iger doesn't want to come down here from his ivory tower. You know how he gets when he has to actually do stuff."

"Sí, Sí. I work." his boss then leaves and closes the door. "Stupid Gringo. I'll work, work on this joint."

Pedro is played in this scene by the legendary Cheech Marin.

Did I miss a joke somewhere?

Brazil is kinda a no-brainer...if they are ever gonna expand...
- Great main course food, but food Americans now know...everyone has been to a Brazilian steakhouse once...and buffets enable peak Disney pricing...
- Great mass producable cart dessert (Brigadeiro) that will be wildly popular to American palates
- Great iconic liquor and cocktails (Caipirinha cocktail)
- Carnival Show possibilities - not everything can be a ride attraction, and that is a "showcase" show that could be in a big theater, ala HS and AK shows, and yet could be adjusted each year for very little cost
- The Rainforest - endless possibilities for rides or landscape
- Great natural and man-made national icons to build a really iconic nation "pavilion" (or whatever we call these Epcot nation footprints) - Iguazu Falls, Sambadrome (for the Carnival show location), Cathedral of Brasília, Christ the Redeemer, Montserrat Fort, Sugarloaf Mountain, etc
- The lack of South American nation representation in the World Showcase
I've read through this entire thread and there are a lot of people vastly underestimating Brazil. No, the tour groups consisting mostly of teenagers are not representative of the entire country. Maybe a pavilion filled with Portuguese-speaking CMs could also teach people a few things (since apparently a lot of people have no idea what Brazil is like at all). I'm not Brazilian, but I do have some very good Brazilian friends and have been to the country. It would be a wonderful addition to WS.

Like TwoMisfits mentioned, there are obvious choices for eateries (they could have a churrascaria table service; and a quick service with cheese bread, pastel de queijo, different meats on sticks (kibe), chicken coxinha, feijoada, guarana, coffee,... - the food is seriously delicious and despite the names, most wouldn't be too far out of most US citizens' comfort zones), liquor (caipirinha, cachaça), and sights to reference. Maybe most important from a business perspective, they have a variety of souvenirs they could sell including Havaianas, bottles of cachaça, berimbau (full size or scaled down versions), swimsuits, soccer jerseys, guarana, pão de mel, cangas, coffee,...

Since several people have put in their "votes" for other countries, India and Thailand would be awesome. (They really need a Thai restaurant somewhere in WDW.) Australia and New Zealand are beautiful countries, but honestly (having spent time in both), they are somewhat boring (for lack of a better word) aside from their natural sights since the cultures are relatively close to the US. I agree with a few prior comments that they fit better at AK.

- The WS was a way for people to travel back when travel was harder & more expensive, there was no internet or decent cable travel. It truly was a way to learn and experience food etc from other countries. None of those things is a problem anymore and the WS lost that purpose.

This isn't necessarily true. Not all of us have money to travel the world and going to the WS to "visit a country" is certainly better than looking at pictures on the internet. It might not be an exact representation, but I think it does offer something valuable to those who will never get to actually go to these places.

With all the business Brazil sends the parks in the form of tour groups, this makes sense lol.

More seriously, I'm hoping the food at the Brazil Food & Wine booth is available in a restaurant here. Pork belly and cheese bread all year long sounds wonderful (and in a full meal portion). :D

If you're forcing me to pick a South American country, I choose Argentina. To me they have a more interesting country and much better wines. As does Chilie of course.

My overall choice with be something tropical. Indonesia, Melanesia, Micronesia or Polynesia.

You all know that Africa's not a country right? It's made up of 54 different countries and is the second most populous continent in the world (after Asia). So saying that there is an "Africa" section of DAK means that there can't (or shouldn't) be an African country at Epcot is kind of reductive and silly.

You all know that Africa's not a country right? It's made up of 54 different countries and is the second most populous continent in the world (after Asia). So saying that there is an "Africa" section of DAK means that there can't (or shouldn't) be an African country at Epcot is kind of reductive and silly.
Tbh the whole existence of "Africa" in the World Showcase is a bit ridiculous to me, and insulting to the countries within that continent. Europe has several countries represented, as do Asia and North America (the latter having unanimous representation), but African countries get lumped together by continent. Pet peeve...

Tbh the whole existence of "Africa" in the World Showcase is a bit ridiculous to me, and insulting to the countries within that continent. Europe has several countries represented, as do Asia and North America (the latter having unanimous representation), but African countries get lumped together by continent. Pet peeve...

You do realize there are 23 countries in North America, not just the US, Mexico, and Canada? All of central America, the Caribbean islands...

There is an African country in WS.

I've read through this entire thread and there are a lot of people vastly underestimating Brazil. No, the tour groups consisting mostly of teenagers are not representative of the entire country. Maybe a pavilion filled with Portuguese-speaking CMs could also teach people a few things (since apparently a lot of people have no idea what Brazil is like at all). I'm not Brazilian, but I do have some very good Brazilian friends and have been to the country. It would be a wonderful addition to WS.

Like TwoMisfits mentioned, there are obvious choices for eateries (they could have a churrascaria table service; and a quick service with cheese bread, pastel de queijo, different meats on sticks (kibe), chicken coxinha, feijoada, guarana, coffee,... - the food is seriously delicious and despite the names, most wouldn't be too far out of most US citizens' comfort zones), liquor (caipirinha, cachaça), and sights to reference. Maybe most important from a business perspective, they have a variety of souvenirs they could sell including Havaianas, bottles of cachaça, berimbau (full size or scaled down versions), swimsuits, soccer jerseys, guarana, pão de mel, cangas, coffee,...

Since several people have put in their "votes" for other countries, India and Thailand would be awesome. (They really need a Thai restaurant somewhere in WDW.) Australia and New Zealand are beautiful countries, but honestly (having spent time in both), they are somewhat boring (for lack of a better word) aside from their natural sights since the cultures are relatively close to the US. I agree with a few prior comments that they fit better at AK.

So nice to see an educated, non-xenophobic poster for a change. Thank you for that.

I think Africa and South America are grossly underrepresented in the World Showcase... I would be cool with a Brazil, Nigeria, Argentina, Chile, South Africa, or Egypt... there are countless other cultures that people haven't had as much exposure to in the US... and while I agree that Africa and Asia are represented well in AK, AK is focused more on zoological and botanical life whereas Epcot World Showcase is supposed to be about the human culture of different nations.

I would also love to see a South America in AK much more than the rumored Zootopia to replace Rafikis planet watch.

It's nothing against any of their offerings, but each of them are really derived from cultural roots of the Spanish Empire (Spain being obvious, and Mexico and Brazil were both colonies for lengthy periods of time). It's likely just my prior experiences with their food/beverages/etc., but I've always tended to view them as offshoots from a similar base.

I'd likely find the same issue if they decided to put a Scotland and Ireland pavilion into World Showcase. There's nothing wrong with any of them, but I'd prefer to see something new and not so similar.
Using that logic, Canada and the USA pavilions are offshoots of the United Kingdom and its empire and would, therefore, be very similar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter