Break from planning / boards?

Nanabug02

DIS Veteran
Hi,

I'm not looking for a crazy debate or anything - just curious if anyone else has ever felt this way. I've been on the boards for several years, and we go to WDW once a year. I am still VERY excited for our upcoming trip, and everything has already been booked and planned. Usually, I'm on the boards every day all the way up to our trip, reading threads and getting even more excited.

Lately, though - it seems like the more threads I read, the less excited I get. Almost like its taking some of the "magic" away. Maybe I've been reading too many negative threads about discounts, free dining/dining plan, cutbacks, etc.

I don't know, maybe I just need to take a break from the boards and go on our upcoming trip with a little less thinking and a little more wonder from the old days.

Anyone else ever feel this way?

You pretty much described me.

This will be our 2nd trip this year. I pretty much come for new info, participate in some polls and curious about discounts, reading trip reports, and reading some threads here and there.

However, since we've been traveling since 1986 I like to keep a little of the magic too. Many people can experience the same thing and walk away with
a different story. So don't worry about negative things you read. Sure
there are negatives in any trip anywhere but don't let it put a damper on yours. :)

A dream is a wish your heart makes...;)

I go back and forth. Sometimes I take a long break from the boards (months) and sometimes I'm here for months. It depends on whether I'm planning a trip, how soon it will be, and how busy my life is at the time.

Sometimes I DISappear for a few months when I'm focused on other things. When I get Disney fever again, I end up back on the boards (as well as listening to the podcast, etc.)

Ditto what all of you say.

I am here, then gone, then here, then get frustrated and go away for months.

If I am planning a trip I am here more.

OP my thoughts exactly. we went 2 times last year(not our first trip) and the Sept trip I was so anxious about it. It wasn't our first trip but I had over planned it (other than wdw I am soo not a planner) and I was worried about all the what ifs.
On our March Trip I did way less planning and was super excited and we had a great time.

We leave in 23 days and I have gone it the total other direction and barely planned at all. Not so wise:rotfl2: I figured we are only at wdw for 4 days and headed to vero beach. One day is a waterpark 1 day is sea world and one day mnsshp so not much to plan. I am so super excited even more than my 6 and 4 year old.....I got the magic back.

Thanks everyone for your responses....its good to hear I'm not the only one who feels this way sometimes. I was getting concerned of losing the magic forever. Looks like I just need to take a break from the boards, as I suspected. Easier said than done, since I have such a habit of coming on here. But I think a break is the best way to go, and hopefully I'll be back soon and feeling the magic!

I'm working on a partial break...might just do the picture exchanges and no comments, surveys, etc for awhile. I agree with your overall feeling. Seems to be more negative vibes vs. positive lately and an innocent comment turns into a huge deal. Just say "breastfeeding" and watch what happens. It becomes a social/political debate. I had the nerve to say that painting ones toes nails was not rocket science -- recommending a certain product -- and you would not believe the aftermath. This is exactly why I won't run for President. :lmao:

Yup. For me, my time on WDW fan sites and message boards, ebbs and flows. Sometimes, I really enjoy them, sometimes they annoy me. I love WDW, and it's probably my #1 family vacation destination. Over the years, I've read guidebooks, perused sites for hours upon hours, and talked to fellow fans ad nauseum. We've been several times, and I've helped plan other's vacations there, too. So to be honest, I don't need message boards and fan sites for help anymore. More and more, I find myself skipping over the threads that have anything to do with tips, tricks, or general knowledge, and landing more on real-life questions concerning parenting and such.

So for me, the comaraderie of the boards: people who share a passion for a place, is the compelling factor. The tips and such I can do without. And, I have found the nit-picking and such to be definite magic sappers. I am also finding that I don't want to know every little secret anymore, I want to discover things on my own. Unless someone can give me the inside scoop on a humongo discount, then I'm willing to bend an ear, of course. :D But, hanging out with people who understand why I can plan a vacation to the same spot year after year, is probably the biggest thing that keeps me coming back to the boards.

Sometimes I give myself a 1-week timeout from the boards and planning our next WDW trip (leaving 5 months from yesterday). It helps to make me appreciate everyone on the boards that much more when my time out is done.

I'm just back from a little mini break from the boards. I've been a member since 2005 (wow 5 years) and sometimes I get a little burned out. We did WDW five times in the last year with our AP's. I was on here a lot planning and keeping up. I got burnt out on all the discussions. So I took a break, I only got on here a handful of times in the last month or month and a half. I've been back on here quite a bit the last few days. I think it's normal to take a time out every now and again.

Hi,

I'm not looking for a crazy debate or anything - just curious if anyone else has ever felt this way. I've been on the boards for several years, and we go to WDW once a year. I am still VERY excited for our upcoming trip, and everything has already been booked and planned. Usually, I'm on the boards every day all the way up to our trip, reading threads and getting even more excited.

Lately, though - it seems like the more threads I read, the less excited I get. Almost like its taking some of the "magic" away. Maybe I've been reading too many negative threads about discounts, free dining/dining plan, cutbacks, etc.

I don't know, maybe I just need to take a break from the boards and go on our upcoming trip with a little less thinking and a little more wonder from the old days.

Not a bad idea, actually. People tend to focus on what they're immediately interested in, as in "I'm going next month" so they'll focus on crowd reports, weather issues, and problems with their intended hotel and park visit schedule.

On the other hand, someone who just came back might be more interested in trip reports, dining reviews, long-range rumors and the like.

Like you, I think I'm starting to burn out -- I've got my ADRs, my room reservations, our park visit plan, the route and driving schedule laid out, and like several thousand others, I'm waiting for the CPP to open up for ressies a few days hence.

It won't hurt to take a few weeks off from the boards. I may just join you!

I just took a 5 week break and I'm considering logging off for a longer break. I know with so many people, there are bound to be a myriad of personalities and opinions. But I'm finding many posters very negative and argumentative lately. There are people who seem to want to argue about anything.

I get involved in a conversation and my DH just laughs at me, saying, "Oh no, is someone wrong on the internet!" :laughing:

i take breaks also, especially if i'm not actively planning a trip.

and, honestly, right now, i'm so disgusted with all the DRECK on the budget board that i'm just about ready to stop going over there at all. IMO, it really needs a clean-up....it is so very off track in someways.

JMTCW which won't even buy ya a penny candy anymore. :)

I did that for the entire month of July!

We booked last October for next month and I was pouring over the Boards waiting for the fall 2010 discounts to be announced. Then we got our trip paid off shortly after that, then I had planning burn-out, now I'm back up and running since we are 30-odd days out!

I think it's just a natural cycle of planning these trips. :)

we are heading back to WDW in less than a month, and i had to start limiting my time on the boards a few weeks ago.

i think we all go through the same "process" every time we start planning a trip.

there is always a surge of excitement for me when i book the room and pay for the airfare. the moment i KNOW that i have a set date, i get hyper excited and will spend hours reading trip reports and trying to figure out what will be going on at the world during the time we will be there.

but if i am not careful, i will read TOO much, look at TOO many trip reports, and i actually feel like i have already been on my vacation. at that point, i have to quit obsessing and try and "forget" about the trip until a few weeks before we leave.

our lives are much more than Disney, and it's important to focus on other things as well as planning a vacation.

we are at the point where we are placing our order with Garden Grocer, buying ponchos, etc. i don't have the time to read trip reports or get caught up in the dramas that are a hallmark of the DIS. don't get me wrong. there are times when spending an afternoon engrossed in a riveting discussion of the benefits of a Fast Pass can be fun :laughing: , but when you get close to your trip date, the actual drama of pre-planning takes over.

the DIS boards are a great way to get excited about a trip. we are always on a tight budget, and chatting on the boards is a constant reminder that i need to be saving money and make sure we can afford our next trip.

it is very interesting to observe how other people plan, what "sets them off", and how they approach their vacations.

however, there are days when i just have to stop reading some of the threads. so many people have this sense of entitlement when it comes to vacationing. my wife and i consider ourselves so blessed to be able to afford a couple weeks at WDW a year. it bothers me when others gripe about petty, small things.

but, all things considered, the DIS boards truly DO enhance my vacation experiences. i find very good advice here. tips and suggestions on this board have made our past trips so much more enjoyable.

now that we are so close to leaving, i'm really only coming to the boards to find out if there is any news which will directly affect our upcoming trip.

i'm sure that in a few months, when the trip is over and i'm dreaming about that next vacation, i'll start the process all over and i'll be reading those trip reports once again.

This thread would be a better fit on the theme parks community board, so I'm going to move it there now.

I feel the same way! This will be my 2nd WDW trip (but I'm calling it my first since the last time I went was in the late 80s and I was 4, so I don't remember any of it!)... I was really excited to find these boards recently, and I learned a lot... but the basic planning of my trip is booked now, discounts and all. :) But all I read is negativity and such, yes people have different opinions, that's what makes the world interesting, but it's the same things over and over, and frankly I find some people have no respect (and I'm not just pinpoiting the board, I think the world in general has become an "it's all about me, I can do whatever I want and will get whatever I want and I'd like to see you try and stop me!"), and it's just all a bit too much.

I like the idea of just looking at the picture threads, it definitely brings out the excitement!! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter