Breakfast Options in the Boardwalk Area

Ms.Minnie

DIS Veteran
Hi, I'm in my 180 day reservation period for my next trip to WDW. I was planning on having breakfast at the Captain's Grill at the Yacht Club, they no longer serve breakfast there. Also Trattoria al Forno on the BW is now a character breakfast. There really aren't may regular table service options open for the resorts in the BW area. I'm hoping that the powers that be at WDW see the error in their new plan and start to include breakfast again at the Captains' Grill. That was a nice place to get breakfast that wasn't a character breakfast and you didn't have to go to the buffet if you didn't want to. We have eaten there many times and enjoyed it very much. Also Trattoria al Forno was a nice option for a table service breakfast but now that option is much more expensive because it's now a character meal...

I would like to know what others think of these changes in dinning options for the Boardwalk area?

That is too bad that Captain's Grill will not serve breakfast. They had a great buffet without having to have characters. That really doesn't make sense. Where did you see that? I know they were remodeling it.

From the Captain's Grille webpage:
Note: The breakfast buffet will not be available during this relocation period. À la carte options will still be available.

In October 2017, the Captain's Grille will become Ale & Compass Restaurant which will reportedly serve breakfast.

We haven't done this yet, but have you tried breakfast at the Swan and Dolphin resorts? Garden Grove is only a character meal on Sat/Sun. They have both a la carte and a buffet during the week. There is also 'Fresh Mediterranean Market' that has mostly buffet, but some a la carte offerings.

We love the the Board Walk Bakery and based on our location, DW looves the sticky buns at Garden Grill

I think they will have breakfast back at the Captains Grill location by the time you are there. Swan/Dolphin have good options too.

I think they will have breakfast back at the Captains Grill location by the time you are there.
After Oct 2017, Captain's Grille will no longer exist. It's being replaced by the Ale & Compass Restaurant.

We love the Swan's Garden Grove, it's a must for us each trip. You can order off the menu, but we usually get the buffet (appx $22 but DVC gets 20% discount) as it includes coffee and juice, and the best smoothies ever! Plus my DH always gets made to order eggs over medium at the omelet station. Great service great food. Character breakfast on weekends only so we skip.

That is too bad that Captain's Grill will not serve breakfast. They had a great buffet without having to have characters. That really doesn't make sense. Where did you see that? I know they were remodeling it.

I found out because I was trying to make a breakfast reservation and the earliest I could get was 11:30. After talking to the DVC rep I went to My Disney Experience (MDE)and checked out the Captain's Grill which no longer shows breakfast for the time period I will be at WDW. MDE does says something about breakfast being served at Ariel's located at the Beach Club but that location isn't listed as a dinning option on MDE.

From the Captain's Grille webpage:

In October 2017, the Captain's Grille will become Ale & Compass Restaurant which will reportedly serve breakfast.

I had read about the change to the Captain's Grille but the DVC rep didn't say anything about the change just that nothing was available until 11:30...I checked Ale Y& Compass Restaurant and it doesn't say anything about breakfast. Also I don't think reservations are being taken at this time.

We haven't done this yet, but have you tried breakfast at the Swan and Dolphin resorts? Garden Grove is only a character meal on Sat/Sun. They have both a la carte and a buffet during the week. There is also 'Fresh Mediterranean Market' that has mostly buffet, but some a la carte offerings.

We love the Swan's Garden Grove, it's a must for us each trip. You can order off the menu, but we usually get the buffet (appx $22 but DVC gets 20% discount) as it includes coffee and juice, and the best smoothies ever! Plus my DH always gets made to order eggs over medium at the omelet station. Great service great food. Character breakfast on weekends only so we skip.

Thanks for this recommendation, we will be trying this location on our next trip. :)

We love the the Board Walk Bakery and based on our location, DW looves the sticky buns at Garden Grill

Thank you, I have a dinner reservation at the Garden Grill, I checked out the menu and I will be making a breakfast reservation too! :) Thanks for all the feedback, you have been very helpful!

I had read about the change to the Captain's Grille but the DVC rep didn't say anything about the change just that nothing was available until 11:30...I checked Ale Y& Compass Restaurant and it doesn't say anything about breakfast. Also I don't think reservations are being taken at this time.
From the DPB:
The Ale & Compass Restaurant menu is still in the works, but the re-imagined restaurant will have a gastropub ambience with New England-inspired comfort food, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. An on-stage hearth oven is the focal point. Décor is inspired by the cozy warmth of a lighthouse, as a comforting respite from the outside world. The casual, table-service restaurant is on the Disney Dining Plan.
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...t-dining-options-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

I don't think they will start taking reservations until they have a firm date for it to open. It's also possible they may wait until it's open before they start taking reservations.

When we stayed at the boardwalk in June Trattoria Al Forno also had an option where you could eat in a backroom with out characters and order off an a la cart menu. I am guessing it is just a walk up option though.

We did the Garden Grove dinner buffet last summer and it was really good. We are staying at the Boardwalk again this summer so I think we will check out the breakfast this time.

We like both Fresh and Garden Grove for sit down breakfasts (and use our DVC card to get a 20% discount). I always order off the menu at Garden Grove as buffets are not good for me ;) .

After Oct 2017, Captain's Grille will no longer exist. It's being replaced by the Ale & Compass Restaurant.

As of now, neither Captain's Grille nor Ale and Compass restaurant are available for booking in October. That really disappoints us, since we're also going in October, and were really trying to get an ADR there. Hopefully we'll be able to get a walk-in once we get there.

Hi, I have tried to make breakfast reservations at Garden Grove but the only reservations available at this time for January 2018 are for dinner, nothing else...I also called member services to try to make a reservation for Garden Grove and the person helping me couldn't find any availability either. MDE is showing that Ariel's will replace the Captain's Grill until the rehab is complete but that option isn't shown when trying to make reservations online @ My Disney Experience. ...Oh well I will wait until it's closer to the time we go and try again for the Garden Grove, based on what I have read here and seen on allears.net that looks like a good option for breakfast, I hope they will be serving breakfast in January 2018. :) Bon Appetit :)

We don't make reservations for Garden Grove for breakfast. The place is almost completely empty when we go around 7AM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter