Bring the laptop???

lrmillen

Mouseketeer
My DH and I were wondering wether or not we should bring our laptop. The main reason would be for uploading our pictures from our digital camera. We wouldn't spend much time on the internet because of the $$$. But, we're hesitant to take it in case it would be stolen. Will it fit in the safes in the room? Thanks.

I'd vote no. It will not fit in the safe (at least not in the safe we had, maybe in the larger suites they have bigger safes) and I don't think there is anyway to hook it up in the cabins. Maybe the phone comes out but do you really want to pay $9.00 a minute? I know that Shutters can develop your film, maybe they have a way to save your digital photos on a disc? A long shot but maybe. I know that when we travel, the last thing I need is one more bag to carry. I'd suggest bringing a regular camera and have the film developed onto a disc when you get home or getting another memory card for your digital. Hope that helps, I'm sure you'll get many different opinions. Good luck.

Hi. I've taken the laptop on every cruise so far (coming up on #7) without problem. I use it to down load digital pics, too. I also play a game which I am addicted to while everybody is sleeping in the morning and while they nap. The safe will not hold anything much bigger than a palm pilot and a wallet. I lug it through security and all they asked was to open the case and show them the thing. There are no connections in the room to surf the net unless you have a satellite phone and modem. Wes

I did forget to mention customs on reentry into the US. If they think you'd purchased it while outside the US they may question you and charge you a tariff. If you have proof of purchase or it looks old and beatup and there's no question it's yours no worry. We asked a customs official at the port to sign off on all our jewelry, cameras and laptop prior to embarking. We got this form from the US customs service (on theri website) and had him sign it. We carry that form wherever we take our passports. Wes

We also take our laptop everytime. I take lots and lots of pics with my digital camera at high res and empty them ito it. I leave it in the cabin with no problems.

My wife threatened to divorce me if I took my laptop for any reason, but it is my work machine and when I have it, I tend to work.

The room safe would definitely not hold the laptop. I was in a cat. 9 room.

I noticed our cell phone worked all day on the last day of the 4 day cruise. We were in sight of the Florida coast and moving very slowly. If you can hook up your laptop to your cell phone, you might be able to get a 'net connection.

I could see it being very useful for digital pictures. Then again, memory cards are very cheap these days and way more portable.

Sam
PS I didn't dare try to use the Internet cafe. In my wife's eyes, I'm sure the "no laptop" rule applied to "no Internet" by simple association. Besides, she's more interesting anyway. :D

Laptop for me is indespensable for digital pics.

If you have a moderately high resolution camera (4 megapixel and up) you can go through memory in a hurry. I average 150+ pics a day on vacations at that resolution (many get deleted later), but I only have a 256 MB card for my camera.

So If I don't download, that's equivalent to running out of film (with no way to buy more). The least expensive 256 MB Secure Digital memory for my camera that I can find is about $60 a card, so to buy enough extra memory cards to cover a 7-day vacation is price prohibitive.

+ I can burn CD's of my pictures, and those of other family members sailing with us (including friends we meet).

Besides that, If I plan to watch DVD movies (if I feel like it) or listen to "my" music I can.

I brought mine to play games on at night and I left it right on the desk the whole cruise, didn't even consider trying to hide it. No way will it fit in the safe, the safe is very small.

I'm bringing mine, dvd for kids on down time, and its nice to see full page view of pic's that way we can make sure we get all those nice shots before we get back.;)

I like to keep a very detailed journal of our trips, and on our first Magic cruise I did it in long-hand. Took forever each day. So, I vowed I would have a laptop for our next cruise, and I did. Getting on our Carnival cruise I didn't have to open it, but I did getting on the Magic. Had no problems leaving it in the state room. Will take it for our next cruise too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter