Broke my foot and heading to WDW next weekend...

ssgjason

Earning My Ears
So, I broke my foot (just 2nd and 3rd metatarsal, not too bad) and we will be heading to Disney right after Thanksgiving. Any pointers? I have a boot and not a cast, per my request. But have to be relatively smart about how much I walk. Would it be dumb to get a wheel chair? Do I get to go to the front of the ride lines? (If I can use this as an advantage, I don't feel all that bad about it)

Last edited:
So, I broke my foot (just 2nd and 3rd metatarsal, no too bad) and we will be heading to Disney right after Thanksgiving. Any pointers? I have a boot and not a cast, per my request. But have to be relatively smart about how much I walk. Would it be dumb to get a wheel chair? Do I get to go to the front of the ride lines? (If I can use this as an advantage, I don't feel all that bad about it)

I would recommend getting an ECV. Neither a wheelchair or an ECV gets front of the line access.

So, I broke my foot (just 2nd and 3rd metatarsal, not too bad) and we will be heading to Disney right after Thanksgiving. Any pointers? I have a boot and not a cast, per my request. But have to be relatively smart about how much I walk. Would it be dumb to get a wheel chair? Do I get to go to the front of the ride lines? (If I can use this as an advantage, I don't feel all that bad about it)

First off, ouch! Secondly, getting or not getting a wheelchair is really up to you. If you feel as though the walking would be too much for you then I would absolutely look into a wc or an ECV. Think of them as a tool to help you, like glasses or contacts to help you see.

As for front of the line access to rides, the answer is no.

Neither a boot, nor a cast, nor a wheelchair, nor an ECV will get you to the front of the line. If you can walk but not a ton then I would look at getting a wheelchair to transport you from attraction to attraction and then get out and walk (or hobble, as the case may be :) ) through the line.

Good luck and I hope you have a wonderful time!

Thanks to the mod who moved the thread to the correct spot
Tons of good reading here...I never thought about me having a DISability!

like others have said I would get an ECV and one form off-site cheaper and you can keep it for the whole time you are at Disney so no need to return it before leaving the park. And there is no FOTL pass at Disney besides for kids on Make a wish trips so you will wait in line like everyone else.

Get s chair for comfort and ease but it won’t get you much help in going past lines except at MK where we use disabled entrance at a couple rides for my daughter who uses a chair for parks. She has Down syndrome.

My thoughts on a scooter.
I find that I need to be totally focused on driving and really can not absorb the ambiance of the park surroundings. Folks stop dead in their tracks in front of you, cut you off, rush to get in front on you etc. I never take my eyes off of my surrounding while I drive. It is exhausting.
Depending on how much you can walk a wheelchair might be a good/better option for you

Regardless of your choice (wheelchair or scooter - Disney calls scooters "ECVs") remember that the *average* Guest at WDW walks between 3 & 10 miles per day.

Very few people can sit down in a wheelchair and self-propel through one "normal" day at home before their arms/hands/shoulders give out. It takes time to build that kind of stamina and endurance, unless you are a highly trained athlete in top form. You don't want to spend the rest of your WDW trip nursing sore arms & shoulders... the idea is to have fun and LESS pain! :)

Make sure you have a volunteer "pusher" ready if you decide to rent a wheelchair.

A rollator is another great option you could consider - basically it's a lightweight walker with a built in seat (and typically, a handy basket under the seat) that you can walk and push for stability, and when you have to stand in line, or just need a break, you can plop down on the seat.

ECV's don't have to be parked and walked away from - you can take it almost anywhere at WDW (including right up to the load platform for a lot of the rides). This includes buses, the monorails, and the majority of the boats - the exceptions being the small launches that turn to/from Poly & GF to MK, and every other boat at WL/FW.

If you have specific questions about using one device versus another, perhaps we can help you sort out your options. You can always arrive at WDW, start with a one device, and if you don't like it, call the rental vendor and ask them to bring out a different type of device. I don't recommend it - you will be losing precious vacation time making the swap! But it might be the best way to go if you aren't sure what is best for you.

@mamabunny and everyone else. Thank you all for your extremely informative advice.
You make some really great points. I got myself into this mess by way over doing my running and training. I have my wife and 3 year old on this trip and my wife is a whopping 100lbs. Since our trip is based mostly around a 3yo desires, we won't be doing commando style. I am going to try it all without anything with the realization that I will may need something to get me thru the parks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter