Brokeback Mountain shirts are sold for charity

sajetto

Wedding Pavilion Bride 2007
Hi guys and gals. I know this board isn't my domain but, I found this article and thought it was interesting. When I saw the pricetag I couldn't believe it :eek: Enjoy

All AP Movie News

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Brokeback Mountain' Shirts Auctioned
Wednesday February 22 5:30 PM ET

Tom Gregory just spent more than $100,000 on two used cowboy shirts. And he couldn't be happier. The shirts are the ones worn by the ill-fated lovers, played by Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, in Oscar front-runner "Brokeback Mountain."

The shirts that represent their relationship. The shirts that, to Gregory, represent the ongoing plight of gays for acceptance in society.

"They really are the ruby slippers of our time," said Gregory, 45.

A longtime gay activist, Gregory plans to keep the shirts "as they were, on the hanger, entwined."

"I would never wear them, put them on, or separate them," he said.

Gregory collects signed celebrity photos from Hollywood's golden age, but this is his first foray into movie props. Focus Features, distributor of "Brokeback Mountain," donated the two shirts, which were sold on the auction Web site ebay.com to benefit Variety The Children's Charity of Southern California.

Gregory logged his winning bid $101,100.51 just 28 seconds before the 10-day auction came to a close on Monday.

"There is no buyer's remorse," he said, characterizing the purchase as "the most fun thing I ever bought."

Wow, he could afford to give $100K+ for those shirts? I wonder if he's single :rotfl2:

I imagine their value will increase if the movie sweeps the Oscars, he does have a point about them being the "ruby slippers" of our time, and there were several pairs of those, I wonder if there was more than one set of shirts? I doubt it...they may be worth a lot more than that in the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter