Brother scan and cut or Cameo?

AkTomboy

Earning My Ears
I am looking to get a machine that can cut my own designs. :artist:

I have heard good things about the Cameo but I haven't heard much about the Scan and Cut.

What you do think is better and what have your experiences been with either. Thanks for your time

I'm sorry I have never heard of the scan and cut...

I have the silhouette portrait (smaller version of the cameo) and I love it!!
I upgrade the software to the designer edition about 50.00 but well worth the cost.. it allows you to cut svg files.

Hopefully someone who has heard of the scan and cut can give you a better comparison..

From what I've seen, the scan and cut is just that. Scan and cut. I'm not sure if you can plug it in the computer to use software and expand cutting options.

Brother’s ScanNCut can scan almost anything including personal hand drawn sketches and designs :cool1:. Once you scan your design, ScanNCut can cut it out with great precision. The Brother website has all the info you need about its features and capabilities.

I have the silhouette portrait (smaller version of the cameo) and I love it!!
I upgrade the software to the designer edition about 50.00 but well worth the cost.. it allows you to cut svg files.

I'm considering buying a new cutter but if I did I would want to use SCAL because I currently have a Cricut and use the old SCAL 2 and love it. So, if I buy a Cameo I have to pay an extra $50 to use SCAL? I thought all the other cutters worked with SCAL.

Brother scan and cut does a great job, with scanning and cutting.
The software is limited to sizing and placement on the mat on a tiny screen on the machine with no computer hook up. It does cut a variety of materials including tissue paper.

Silhouettes are compatible with scal however not version 2. But you do get a free upgrade from 2 to 3. Silhouette has its own software which is free. If you upgrade to the designer edition it costs. I use mine with scal3 and their software.

I have no knowledge about SCAL as I did not buy it for my cricut cuts.

I just ventured into the Silhouette Portrait and cutting out other images in the past 2 years. I got the portrait and the basic software came with it. The basic software did not cut svgs so I need to upgrade to the Designer Edition software. It was worth every penny to me..

I hope someone that has a cameo/silhouette and knowledge of SCAL will be on to let you know specifically if you can use the SCAL with the portrait/cameo.

ETA: I did a quick google search and found this:

if you have a facebook account I found this site where it seems that you can use certain versions of SCAL with the cameo... so you may not need to upgrade any software just "link" your SCAL.. https://www.facebook.com/svgcuts/posts/161167193978729 or here is a blog post I found http://svgcuts.com/blog/2011/11/02/silhouette-cameo-sure-cuts-a-lot-3-011/

I have no idea if it honestly works but hopefully someone with more knowledge of the two will let you know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter