Building our own camper

Remember, I never go in the stores in the outlet malls. I refuse. My job is to carry the bags. I would rather sandpaper a bobcat's rearend than actually go in the stores.

Sleepy,
Is he now leaning more towards the small fridge or other idea?
He’s coming around to the idea of a small fridge!!

He just threw a wrench in my plans. The “fridge” can’t be more than 20 inches thanks to how he designed this (when he designed it it was for a cooler). I cannot find a fridge that is long and short. And he doesn’t think and electric cooler will be able to keep our meat cold enough in the Florida temps.
The biggest fridge I can find that has a max height of 20 inches is only 1.7 cubic feet. That’s not very big for a family of 6. But we may do that and just for things we don’t want to get wet (lunch meat and such), and still have a cooler that we store somewhere else.

He just threw a wrench in my plans. The “fridge” can’t be more than 20 inches thanks to how he designed this (when he designed it it was for a cooler). I cannot find a fridge that is long and short. And he doesn’t think and electric cooler will be able to keep our meat cold enough in the Florida temps.
The biggest fridge I can find that has a max height of 20 inches is only 1.7 cubic feet. That’s not very big for a family of 6. But we may do that and just for things we don’t want to get wet (lunch meat and such), and still have a cooler that we store somewhere else.

That is the capacity of our camper fridge and it holds quite a bit. We got one with a configuration that will hold half gallon of milk on the door. All the drinks still go in the cooler. With some careful tetris-like arranging, you will be surprised at how much it will hold. We often camp with 5 or 6 family members and the fridge holds all the important perishables for usually 5 days. We do have a separate dorm sized freezer in the camper, so that helps a lot. Still yet, I would find a fridge with a good layout and bring a cooler in the tow vehicle for drinks. Your DH can always use the fridge for dry storage if he's off grid.

Hey, you can always take a dorm refrigerator, haul it inside the camper, and then plug it up outside when you get there! Might take a little creativity to "blend it in" but I've seen this done so many times. Once, when staying on the 1400 loop, I saw some folks come in with a full size kitchen refrigerator and set it up outside the door on their RV. Impressive...

Project is coming along nicely! Great build so far. As for the coolers, i got a Coleman extream 2. Just as good as a yeti, but 1/4 the price.

The siding is darker than I expected, but I’m still liking it.
The door is getting a trim put around the nail holes, so that will look better once he gets around to it.

Attachments

• 3E37A472-8419-4FF1-B8D1-6F558410380F.jpeg
    3E37A472-8419-4FF1-B8D1-6F558410380F.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 23

We left at 3:40am from CT. We are only doing about 50-55 with the trailer, but it’s traveling well and I’m not as terrified as I thought I’d be driving it. We are in Florence, South Carolina for the night now.
The inside never got completely done, but here are some pics.

Attachments

• 5963FE81-70A5-4DC8-BFE7-C6F0883D74E7.jpeg
    5963FE81-70A5-4DC8-BFE7-C6F0883D74E7.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 21
  • D52A54CE-79EC-42C5-8847-1387BF771B2A.jpeg
    D52A54CE-79EC-42C5-8847-1387BF771B2A.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 20
  • FBD850F0-20CD-4431-8375-3036B70D0088.jpeg
    FBD850F0-20CD-4431-8375-3036B70D0088.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 20

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter