Bulbs-Calla Lilies

Mamu

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
Calla Lilies-Another summer flowering bulb that I adore. These are bubs that are planted each spring, flower in the summer and are dug-up in the fall and stored away till next spring.

They can grow to heights of 40 inches, I choose varieties that grow to 12-20 inches. I mainly use them around the fish pond, they also look lovely when mixed with perennials and add summer color to a sometimes dull area in the perennial garden. Lots of perennial bloom in the spring which leads to a rather green flower lacking garden. The summer flowering bulbs add color to these areas.

Calla Lilies can also be planted in pots. They like a rich rather moist soil and semi-shade 1/2 day of sun. If you choose not to plant them directly in the ground, plant them in a green pot and add to the perennial garden. This is a great way of moving color to areas that lack color. The green pots blend in to the foliage. Just remember that the soil in pots dries out quicker then ground soil and they will probably need daily watering. Also a once a month watering of manure tea.

Calla Lilies

you're supposed to dig them up??:eek:
I never have dug them up..:o
I have been lucky so far i guess, that they keep coming back..

They were like weeds in our back yard when we lived in San Francisco. They must have liked the spot because we never had to dig them up. Once I tried digging some up to plant elsewhere and it didn't work out! The slugs and snails loved them, so they never looked as nice as you would imagine florist quality calla lilies to look.

I have alwayas been fascinated by calla lilies but I odn't have any...maybe this year.

Those pictures are beautiful! Thanks again Mamu! :D

Shep, I don't dig up my bulbs either (although I don't have any cala lillies). I think you only have to do that if you live where it's really cold.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter