Bulk trading pins buying

Yet you can buy $1.00 pins at the Disney warehouse or multipacks for $4.00. That logic must mean that Disney is selling fakes in their store.

I get you trying to police this but saying something is a FACT without 100% data to back it up while calling out everyone else is wrong.

Melissa is right. The value in trading (NOT COLLECTING) is the experience.

Collectors trade with reputable collectors and in forums and groups. That is if they trade at all.

The value in trading (NOT COLLECTING) is the experience.

Probably the MOST valuable piece of advice EVER given about collecting well, anything, ever!!!!! Don't collect the items because "they are a good investment and will make their value back when you sell 'em". Ohhhhh what Beanie Baby collectors can tell you now! LOL

As much as it would be NICE to have a Disney collectible easily hold its value in the common market (outside of the animation/ fine art gallery/prop aficionado groups) , there was too much potential money sitting on the table for someone else to not to try to profit from the activity. Disney COULD spend $$$$$$$$$$ to have a U.S.A.-based high-security factory where pins are made and documented, etc. but that would seriously push the price for pins to an insane, unprofitable level. And also they need to spend that money investing back into their Parks and the Disney Research Institute.

So yeah... don't get into Disney pins because they are A Collectible Thing That Could Be Worth Money.
Get into Disney pins because they make FUN souvenirs - they can create memories, you can find your favorite character, you can collect from the events you go to...

I have ONE full set of Disney pins in a box that I bought from the Disney Store waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day, I believe it was for The Rescuers release on VHS. Obviously I won't trade those or even take them from the box.

The only other pin I have is a Christmas Minnie Mouse that was thoughtfully given to us by a veteran couple (he had mostly prosthetics and she was wheelchair-bound) as we chatted in line, waiting for Circus Donald and Goofy at Pete's Circus Tent. They had a MASSIVE CD binder packed FULL of pins and she picked out a duplicate to give to our DD (for no other reason other than she got to be at WDW for her birthday....WOW)!

If I saw pins I liked, would I buy them? MAYBE. More like where would I put them, because I don't like trading away the ones I bought because I liked them...

As much as it would be NICE to have a Disney collectible easily hold its value in the common market (outside of the animation/ fine art gallery/prop aficionado groups) , there was too much potential money sitting on the table for someone else to not to try to profit from the activity. Disney COULD spend $$$$$$$$$$ to have a U.S.A.-based high-security factory where pins are made and documented, etc. but that would seriously push the price for pins to an insane, unprofitable level. And also they need to spend that money investing back into their Parks and the Disney Research Institute.

Unfort. you are right. Disney sees the money and goes for it (not to blame them). Pin collecting pretty much died as a thing for most when Disney saw the potential and made an ungodly amount that no collector could ever obtain.

Now it is probably 60% for trading, 25% for souvenirs, and (if even this high) 15% for collectors.

So you REALLY think that an Ebay seller that has 50 identical posts of bulk pins at $1/pin and 1500 lots already sold could actually be legit?

If you do, I have some genuine RayBans and Gucci bags to sell you.

Please, be at least a bit sensible. It's not too hard to figure out who are the obvious scammers. Just because you want a deal is no excuse to buy illegal goods.

Doesn't really matter if I think they are or not.. I have not bought them and sorted through and from the way it sounds neither have you.. You are assuming.

Others on here have and said they got real ones so to me it seems their thoughts hold more weight.

Point being (which is the thing I said from the start is the OP asked for help on where and all you gave was assumptions about ebay). If you cannot tell him where then why post your assumption and judgment over and over?

We get it you "think" all on ebay are fake.. Others stated they "know" some are real but you will still argue your point.

So you REALLY think that an Ebay seller that has 50 identical posts of bulk pins at $1/pin and 1500 lots already sold could actually be legit?

If you do, I have some genuine RayBans and Gucci bags to sell you.

Please, be at least a bit sensible. It's not too hard to figure out who are the obvious scammers. Just because you want a deal is no excuse to buy illegal goods.

I'm all for the stoppage of the copyright violation part. But please provide a suggestion to the preservation of the fun of pin trading... just running around and demanding that people NOT buy pins online, well, that's kind of difficult to accomplish. Disney CM's are no longer allowed to distinguish which pins they have are real, and which are scrappers, and they have to go out there and trade them all anyway. How do you keep non-official pins out of the mix?

Disney DOES do a lot. They prosecute people who sell these things. In the end, it's everyone's responsibility to stop buying known illegal products.

The whole point of the thread, as the OP mentions, is that they don't want to buy scrappers on ebay. If everyone else actually wanted to buy officially licensed products, there wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, some don't care and don't want to see how this affects people.

If you can't afford the real thing, be it Disney pins, Raybans or Gucci bags don't buy the knock-offs.

https://share.america.gov/whats-wrong-with-buying-counterfeit-goods/

No the whole point of the thread was "any place u can recommend to buy good Disney pins n bulk?"

No the whole point of the thread was "any place u can recommend to buy good Disney pins n bulk?"
but doesn't want eBay scraps etc

No, it was not. As you can see, the OP was asking for advice on how to buy pins in bulk WITHOUT getting scrappers.

Maybe DVC_Dad_Canada doesn't have "proof" that all the lots of 50 pins on ebay are scrappers, but what he does have is a little thing called common sense. (BTW, the people who think they are getting legitimate pins in their 50 pin lots probably don't know any better. They just see the copyright Disney stamp on the back and assume it's real.)

YOU have diverted the purpose of this thread by arguing that scrappers are all good as long as they make the children happy, but that's not what the OP was asking for opinions on.

No I have not. I have simply said that he is assuming ALL on ebay are fake when others on here have pointed out that they have purchased real ones on there.

I am 100% against fakes and scrappers I just do not want to hear something as fact when others have disproved it.

I gave OP advise on how to get some cheap ones... something few if any else have done.

I apologize if I have diverted that was more of an argument as to it being hard for Disney to police but the fact of the matter was the OP asked for help and instead got a lecture.

By the way, this is an excellent video to watch before heading into the parks to trade:

This shows you which pins are most commonly faked so you can give yourself the best shot at real pins when you trade with CM.
I think the video also demonstrates another point to why knowingly trading scrappers is so bad. The scrappers you buy on ebay are commonly faked, and so when traded in the parks take up about 80% of the pin boards. Pin trading isn't as fun when every lanyard or board you look at has the same 10 ugly pins on it. There becomes a lot less variety.

I posted this in another thread, but here are the common signs of scrapper sellers on ebay (based upon their descriptions).
1. tradeable in the park;
2. traded for in the park;
3. 100% tradeable (similar to #1);
4. random pins;
5. what you see is not what you will get;
6. pictures are examples/samples;
7. used pins, may have imperfections;
8. factory seconds
9. pictures of pins in these flimsy ziploc type bags with red line at the top. The flimsy bag is the giveaway as craft stores sell better quality bags
10. cannot verify authenticity.

Any pin with a (c) Disney is tradeable in the park, but doesn't mean they are authentic.

You can actually get authentic pins from the outlets for $1-2 and on various pin trading groups...Disney Pin Forum [someone here on the DIS directed me there many years ago...is one such group.] There are plenty of groups on FB that help people figure out what pins are good and which are fake or scrappers. There is a difference between scrappers (factory seconds) and fakes/counterfeits.

Last edited:
If I saw pins I liked, would I buy them? MAYBE. More like where would I put them, because I don't like trading away the ones I bought because I liked them...

I only buy pins I like/want to display; I don't trade partly because I don't want fakes and scrappers and partly because I just don't often see things on CM's lanyards or pin boards that float my boat. I recently bought a pin board on Etsy (cork board covered in black fabric in the shape of Cinderella Castle), which hangs on the wall and is big enough for my "collection." I tend to pick out a few to decorate my park bag, too (locking pin backs are a must).

Honestly, the other thing that's frustrating to me about all the illegitimate pins on eBay is that I've been thinking of selling some older pins I don't really want anymore, and it makes it more difficult to research their value and to assure buyers that my pins are legitimate. I suppose it'll probably help that I'm only selling a few, and no duplicates, whenever I finally get around to it.

I have never bought pins before, but I was looking at getting some for my kids for Christmas in anticipation of our next trip to Disney.

I see a lot of info here on what NOT to buy, but is there any input on where we SHOULD buy outside of the parks? Any sellers that you pin aficionados would be comfortable vouching for?

I realize I am not going to get the 50 cent a pin price this way, but if I can get 1.50 or 2.00 per pin I would be comfortable with that. Mystery grab bags would be fine, I don't really care what we get, but I completely recognize the value in protecting the community by buying the real thing.

Last edited:
I bought a bag on Amazon. Don't know how "Legitimate" they were, but I trade for the fun of it, nothing else, and they worked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter