Bummed out about Accesible Rooms

Cubana2004

Earning My Ears
I've got new respect for folks with disabilities and how difficult some seemingly simple tasks become. I'll be travelling with my grandmother to disney world for December and for the first time found myself needing to book an accesible room.

There are 4 of us going, a 3 year old, a 5'10" 200 lb 17 year old and the two adults. It seems we may need to stay off site because even this early out the best Disney World can offer us is a room w/ a rollaway (my idea of a vacation two folks stuck in bed w/ the three year old while my 17 year old brother complains about the rollaway) and an EVC at Wilderness Lodge or we can pay 70 dollars more a night for a room w/ two queens at the Polynesian. This is really ridiculous. You'd think Disney would take into account the fact that there are disabled folks who'd like to travel with their families on vacation.

Sorry guys, i've been on these boards for a while now and have found them full of information, just felt like i needed to vent and express my admiration for what some of you go through on a daily basis with things that SHOULDN'T even be problems.

Did you call the special service number or did you go through CRO? I don't have the number handy right now. I'll look for it if you need it. The special service number should be able to help you book an appropriate room.

Call Special Reservations 407 939 7807 for help, they can block off rooms for you if it is a special needs request.

I have read that if a party of 4 is travelling together, and need handicapped accessibility, they will be given adjoining rooms, but the second room will be free of charge. This is because I have heard that the only value rooms with enough room for a wheelchair are king bedded rooms. I would call Special Services and see what they can do.

I think you really need to reconsider WL with an ECV. Those rooms are too small to fit the ECV and four people IMHO.

You would be much better off in two connecting moderate rooms.

Anne

Someone already posted what I was going to post. You need to call the Special Services number and discuss your situation with them.
The resort can't book your party of 4 in a King bed with a rollaway. The King bed sleeps 2 (even if it is big enough for 3 people to sleep in it, it's only meant for 2), so with one roll away, that room sleeps 3. If the youngest child was under the age of 3, they could suggest a pack and play for that child to sleep in.
If you need an accessible room that sleeps 4 and they have none available, then they have to provide you with 2 connecting rooms to accomidate you. (You want to make sure they are connecting - those are the rooms that have an inside door you can open to connect them together. Adjoining rooms sound like they would "join" together, but they are just rooms next to each other).

Special Services will also be able to help you decide if you actually need an accessible room. I noticed you mentioned that she is using an ecv, which makes me think that she can probably move around the room by walking. Does she need a roll in shower? That's the main feature that's different in the fully wheelchair accessible room. If she doesn't need a roll in shower, you might consider asking about a room with grab bars for the shower. That would be less likely to be a King bed room, so you would have 4 beds.
but, as was already mentioned, you might be happier and would have more space with 2 connecting rooms at a moderate. The moderate resort with the largest rooms is CBR.

I followed the advice and called special services directly rather then through the disney reservation number. They were immediately able to help me and were perplexed as to how the rollaway was even suggested with four people. Thank you so much. Without the tips we would of certainly ended up staying off site.

:flower: :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter