BUR (Bob Hope) Area to Disneyland? Best Time of Day?

poptart90

DIS Veteran
We will be staying at the Hilton Universal for a couple of days. Can't fly all the way to Cali and NOT go to Disneyland...even though that was the initial plan for this trip :rotfl2: the closer we get, the more determined we are to make a few magical days happen!

Understanding it's a long drive, what time of day would everyone vote as being the least likely to take hours in the car? We have the potential option of going Thursday evening like 7pm-ish? This would be do-able, but definitely trickier with our toddler. Or Friday mid-morning following our hotel check-out. Like 11am-ish?

In the Portland Metro Area, traffic is a nightmare at all hours. But Fridays can be especially BAD. Is California the same way? Or if we leave mid-morning, could we squeeze in between the major commuter traffic?

Thanks!!

Got it! That's what I was thinking. Can you tell me, should we plan for over an hour trip down the 5 if we head out between 10am-12pm?

Trying to plan for potty stops, if necessary. LOL

The 5 can be a mess anytime. I agree with the 10-12 window, but it's no guarantee the traffic will be clear at that time.

Because I'm accustomed to the 5 at rush hour, I'd leave super early Friday morning before 6 am and tolerate the 90+ minute drive. It's 36 miles to the Mickey & Friends parking structure.

The 5 can be a mess anytime. I agree with the 10-12 window, but it's no guarantee the traffic will be clear at that time.

Because I'm accustomed to the 5 at rush hour, I'd leave super early Friday morning before 6 am and tolerate the 90+ minute drive. It's 36 miles to the Mickey & Friends parking structure.

Holy Mole-y! That has me looking for a one way fly-on-miles fare from BUR to SNA!! :rotfl2:

Is public transportation an option at all? There is a red line station at the bottom of the hill for Universal -- maybe the Hilton has a shuttle? You could go to either the Fullerton station and take the bus straight down Harbor to DLR or take the train to the Anaheim ARTIC station by the Honda Center. There is an ART shuttle to the parks from there. Taking the train can be a fun adventure for a little one and it sure can make potty breaks easier.

Do not leave Thursday at 7. That ride will take you upwards of 2 hours (I've done it many times). I'd rather do 11am Friday if I had to choose one of those two.

2am is really your best option. ;)

Is public transportation an option at all? There is a red line station at the bottom of the hill for Universal -- maybe the Hilton has a shuttle? You could go to either the Fullerton station and take the bus straight down Harbor to DLR or take the train to the Anaheim ARTIC station by the Honda Center. There is an ART shuttle to the parks from there. Taking the train can be a fun adventure for a little one and it sure can make potty breaks easier.

If we didn't have a double jogger stroller and luggage....I'd be ALL over this idea! Almost there! It's funny how much toddlers need (or is it how much the Mama needs "just in case" ;)) but I'm going to keep this in mind for the future. Flying to SNA is frequently much more expensive than the other So Cal choices. If it's really this easy to use Public Transportation, this could be a huge cost savings in the future! Thanks!!

Such Fun!!

I am surprised however that BUR was cheaper for you than LAX.

It is closer to your hotel, but I have found LAX to be much less expensive than BUR

Last edited:
Yup...10a-12p and 8p and later are your best windows heading SB to DL on the 5.
He's right but just know that the 5 is undergoing MAJOR construction between the 605 and 91 (making it worse than normal).

As I said in another thread, Waze can be your friend (although the 5 has very little carpool availability from Hollywood).

... If it's really this easy to use Public Transportation, this could be a huge cost savings in the future! Thanks!!

Well, no public transportation in SoCal is "easy," at least not when compared with Portland (that's one of the things we love about Portland!). But it is absolutely doable. So definitely keep it on a mental post-it for a future trip. When you go to BUR, you'll see a Metrolink (I think) platform just past the parking lots. So there's a public transport option from there, too.

He's right but just know that the 5 is undergoing MAJOR construction between the 605 and 91 (making it worse than normal).

As I said in another thread, Waze can be your friend (although the 5 has very little carpool availability from Hollywood).

Oh! Ok, so we will be traversing the construction, I assume? For the ignorant Oregoninan :) what's WAZE?

what's WAZE?

WAZE is a free GPS smartphone app that uses Google Maps as its back end. A traditional GPS will just be point A to point B regardless of conditions. Google Maps or a smartphone GPS app will get you there taking into account traffic conditions but still keep you on the major freeways and expressways. Waze will get you there by any means necessary they quickest way time wise even if it means traversing city streets and getting on and off freeways.

I freakin love it. If there is an accident, road closure, or construction backup it will route you right around it the fastest way. I use it at home now any time I drive even though I know where I am going as it constantly adjusts to traffic conditions real time.

It also shows locations of Police as people report their locations. It is supposed to be a "social" driving app where people tag hazards and conditions.

WAZE is a free GPS smartphone app that uses Google Maps as its back end. A traditional GPS will just be point A to point B regardless of conditions. Google Maps or a smartphone GPS app will get you there taking into account traffic conditions but still keep you on the major freeways and expressways. Waze will get you there by any means necessary they quickest way time wise even if it means traversing city streets and getting on and off freeways.

I freakin love it. If there is an accident, road closure, or construction backup it will route you right around it the fastest way. I use it at home now any time I drive even though I know where I am going as it constantly adjusts to traffic conditions real time.

It also shows locations of Police as people report their locations. It is supposed to be a "social" driving app where people tag hazards and conditions.

Oh, wow. Looks like I just exposed my utter lack of tech savviness! LOL:p My fellow Intel Oregonians are probably rolling eyes and groaning!!
That said, I'm downloading that App now. Thank you for the awesome tip. I can't wait to try it out!! Grateful!!:worship:

Oh, wow. Looks like I just exposed my utter lack of tech savviness! LOL:p My fellow Intel Oregonians are probably rolling eyes and groaning!!
That said, I'm downloading that App now. Thank you for the awesome tip. I can't wait to try it out!! Grateful!!:worship:
Just be aware, it takes time for data to reach you (I'd gather about 10-15 minutes). I have been caught behind a major accident while on Waze because it happened right as I was getting there.

I prefer google maps. I'll check both sometimes, but Waze can have you doing some really weird things to save 30 seconds that just aren't worth it.

I prefer google maps. I'll check both sometimes, but Waze can have you doing some really weird things to save 30 seconds that just aren't worth it.

The specific reason why I mentioned Waze over Google Maps is that it now has an HOV route option. Also, you can configure Waze to not adjust based on a small savings. Both options tend to underestimate the time spent on surface streets by a tad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter