But I don't have anyone to supervise me- a mostly solo November 2017 TR *completed 9/10*

Day 1

Where Dreams True

Our travel day was very different from what we normally do. We actually left on a work day in order to maximize Joe’s time at WDW. So the day started as a typical day in our house. I was also documenting my travels for my friends on Snapchat, so I sent this early in the morning.

Also, I had been doing a trip countdown and I could finally post this.

I got the boys off to school, tried to do some work unsuccessfully, and then spent the day running errands and cleaning. After school I met my mom at the mechanic, because we were having my car serviced while I was away. We got the boys dinner and then headed home to wait for Joe to get off.

Is it time to go?

Once Joe was home we said our good-byes to the boys and made our way to the airport. We ended up leaving earlier that I had planned, around 5:20, which gave us 40 minutes to make a 30 minute drive to the airport.

Joe informs me once we get into the car that he needs gas. Okay, no big deal, we should still have plenty of time. Our flight wasn’t until 8, but I had pictured this very relaxing scenario of having a stress-free airport experience, no rushing, and a nice dinner free from the kids. Well our first attempt to get gas was unsuccessful because the lines were crazy long. So we hobble along the highway looking for a place to stop and at this point the gas light is on. We were on the access road, but I could see how bad the traffic was on the highway. Joe assured me it was just people merging onto another highway and it would clear up. We only moved to the DFW area about six months ago, so I was not well versed in the rush hour traffic patterns. But Joe, who up until that week worked right across the highway from Love Field, should have known how bad the traffic was, so I trusted he was right. We finally find a place to get gas and get back on the highway at which point traffic is at a stand still. Traffic going into the city on a Friday night is apparently really bad and Joe some how never noticed this:confused3. Time started slipping from us, and my nice relaxing airport experience has fading fast. It was not a pleasant car ride for sure. We were fighting and it definitely put our trip off to a negative start. Finally when we got closer to the airport, we realized Siri was giving us bad directions. We got lost and turned around further delaying our arrival. We finally got to the airport around 6:45 and then we had to walk to the terminal which seemed like it took forever.

Actual footage of me trying to get to the terminal
giphy.gif

Joe and I were both in a bad mood and not speaking to each other. Not exactly the way I wanted to start our belated 9th anniversary weekend. Thankfully, we have TSA pre-check and were able to get through security around 7. Once the stress was behind us, we apologized to each other for our rough start and were ready to make the most of our time away. We didn’t have time for a sit down dinner, so I grabbed a chicken salad sandwich and water. I was looking for a spot at one of the bars to have a drink before we had to board, but sadly there were no open spots. Joe wanted to get pizza from a pizza place there and they sold beer and wine:dance3:. We each got a Coors Light, to relax a bit.

By this time we were in a bit of a time crunch, so we had about 10 minutes to down our beer:drinking1. While it did help me too relax, drinking it as fast as I did maybe had too much of a relaxing feel if you know what I mean. I almost never drink, so I tend to be a bit of a light weight but drinking it so fast and having no food in my stomach made it go straight to my head.

They ended up changing our gate at the last second, so we had to run to the other end of the terminal just in time to line up for boarding. We got early bird, so we were in position A29 and 30. While we were waiting to board, Tammie (@momabaarjo ) found us and we talked for a bit. This was my first DISmeet of the trip. Tammie and I were headed down for the same conference, so we knew we would have plenty of time to hang out. Once on the plane, Joe wanted the window so I got the middle seat.

A teenager sat down next to me and it was an interesting experience to say the least. He was very polite in some regard, but then also had no respect for personal boundaries:crowded:. At one point he started bragging about how his friend can sneak him into the Disney parks whenever he wants. And then he asks me if I have heard of that Avatar thing opening in the summer of 2018.

200w.webp

Once we were in the air, Joe and I watched the last two episodes of Stranger things.

We also saw some really cool lightening. We weren’t able to capture it in a photo, but it was a cool experience. About halfway through the flight I started to feel a tickle in my throat and dread in my heart. I had worked so hard all week to rid myself of a sinus infection that I had all thanks to copious amounts of Sudafed and a Neti Pot. I was finally feeling better just days before the trip. Unfortunately at that same time, the boys were battling colds. It seems that the cold had finally found its way to me:sick:. I just had to hope and pray it wouldn’t be too bad.

Thanks to Stranger Things the flight flew by and we were soon in Orlando. We grabbed our luggage and headed out to the rental car pickup.

Obligatory magic band picture while we wait

We used Silvercar rental this time and I can’t recommend this place enough. It was only roughly 30 more for the week to book them, than to do the other guys with an economy car. Joe had used them in Dallas when he was going for job interviews and loved the process. Basically, you tell them via the app that you download that you are ready to be picked up. They pick you up and take you to the rental place which is a few minutes drive from MCO. There you pick the car you want, sync it with the app and you’re good to go. Every car is a silver (hence the name) Audi A4, which at that price point is pretty awesome. There was a slight issue with our rental just because it was past midnight so technically the day after we were supposed to start our rental, the rental guy figured it out quickly.

Me trying to act cool, but I was totally excited to get to drive this all week
r

The car is way more complicated than I am used to, but we eventually figured it out. We passed under the WDW sign right around 1am. Sadly no photographic evidence since it was on Joe’s phone and I currently can find it. But we laughed because half the sign was burned out and it said Where Dreams True:rotfl2:. I never got a text that our room was ready, but the info was on the app, so we just went straight to the room. I got a preferred room and requested a king bed. We were granted our request, but ended up with a handicap accessible room, which wasn’t a big deal other than we flooded the bathroom every time we took a shower. I also loved the location it was close to the elevator/stairs with a quick walk to our car and the main building.

We didn’t bother unpacking, just got right in our jammies and hit the bed. We had a very early wakeup call and it was approaching 1:30 am.

Last edited:

Sorry the start of your trip was so rough! And that a cold may have been on the horizon :( But you made it to Disney!!

I'm here! I'm sorry that the ride to the airport was rough, but glad things went smoothly from there. I hope you felt better. Being sick on vacation is the worst!

While we were waiting to board, Tammie (@momabaarjo ) found us and we talked for a bit. This was my first DISmeet of the trip. Tammie and I were headed down for the same conference, so we knew we would have plenty of time to hang out.

Yay first Dismeet!

And then he asks me if I have heard of that Avatar thing opening in the summer of 2018.

200w.webp

OMG haha

We were granted our request, but ended up with a handicap accessible room, which wasn’t a big deal other than we flooded the bathroom every time we took a shower.

So weird, I don't know why this has to be a thing! Surely there's a better way to make accessible showers.

Sorry the start of your trip was so rough! And that a cold may have been on the horizon :( But you made it to Disney!!
It's okay, every trip has to have a rough patch and this was ours, we were happy to finally be there.

Following along
:welcome:

I'm here! I'm sorry that the ride to the airport was rough, but glad things went smoothly from there. I hope you felt better. Being sick on vacation is the worst!
Thanks, I have actually never been sick on vacation, usually after though. Another benefit of being solo for most of it was even though I felt terrible, I could just take it easy.

Joining in!
:welcome:

I know right? Some expert

So weird, I don't know why this has to be a thing! Surely there's a better way to make accessible showers.
There is, I have stayed in handicap rooms other places and this wasn't an issue, although I don't remember what they did :confused3

So the day started as a typical day in our house. I was also documenting my travels for my friends on Snapchat, so I sent this early in the morning.
And you checked snapchat later in the day to find a bunch of snaps of your friends' middle fingers???

Joe informs me once we get into the car that he needs gas. Okay, no big deal, we should still have plenty of time. Our flight wasn’t until 8, but I had pictured this very relaxing scenario of having a stress-free airport experience, no rushing, and a nice dinner free from the kids.
Nope. Stress-free airport experiences don't exist. Not happening. Ever.

I was looking for a spot at one of the bars to have a drink before we had to board, but sadly there were no open spots. Joe wanted to get pizza from a pizza place there and they sold beer and wine:dance3:. We each got a Coors Light, to relax a bit.
Ahh... well, maybe not your relaxing adults only dinner. But at least you could have a drink and relax for a few minutes.

By this time we were in a bit of a time crunch, so we had about 10 minutes to down our beer:drinking1. While it did help me too relax, drinking it as fast as I did maybe had too much of a relaxing feel if you know what I mean. I almost never drink, so I tend to be a bit of a light weight but drinking it so fast and having no food in my stomach made it go straight to my head.
Well, at least now you're happy!!! :rotfl2:

At one point he started bragging about how his friend can sneak him into the Disney parks whenever he wants. And then he asks me if I have heard of that Avatar thing opening in the summer of 2018.
Oh boy... I hope you told him how awesome that Star Wars Land that just opened is!!!

About halfway through the flight I started to feel a tickle in my throat and dread in my heart. I had worked so hard all week to rid myself of a sinus infection that I had all thanks to copious amounts of Sudafed and a Neti Pot. I was finally feeling better just days before the trip. Unfortunately at that same time, the boys were battling colds. It seems that the cold had finally found its way to me:sick:. I just had to hope and pray it wouldn’t be too bad.
This. Every time I fly. I think a big part of it is the dry air on the plane, but I always end up with a stuffy nose and scratchy throat when I fly somewhere. I hope it didn't affect your trip too much.

We were granted our request, but ended up with a handicap accessible room, which wasn’t a big deal other than we flooded the bathroom every time we took a shower.
Been there. The struggle is real in those rooms! :rotfl2:

OMG...you already started!
I know, I have a problem :rotfl2:

And you checked snapchat later in the day to find a bunch of snaps of your friends' middle fingers???
:rotfl:Sadly, my friends aren't Disney people, so they had fun following along but weren't really jealous. Clearly I need new friends.

Nope. Stress-free airport experiences don't exist. Not happening. Ever.
Well without kids and with TSA precheck it almost possible

Ahh... well, maybe not your relaxing adults only dinner. But at least you could have a drink and relax for a few minutes.
I needed that beer, so I guess it all worked out

Well, at least now you're happy!!! :rotfl2:
I was very happy

Oh boy... I hope you told him how awesome that Star Wars Land that just opened is!!!
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

This. Every time I fly. I think a big part of it is the dry air on the plane, but I always end up with a stuffy nose and scratchy throat when I fly somewhere. I hope it didn't affect your trip too much.
You'll have to wait and see...hint it did :sick:

Been there. The struggle is real in those rooms! :rotfl2:
::yes::

Day 2: Part 1
Pandora, The Best Land Ever???

After what seemed like a short nap, it was time to wake up. Joe was very excited to share some pictures on Facebook. He always takes a picture of our shoes and has some clever caption with it :confused3.

We quickly got ready and then made a pit stop at Intermission Café to grab a refillable mug with coffee and two chocolate croissants.

This morning we were driving over to Animal Kingdom to brave the Pandora crowds for the first time. Thankfully about a week or so after our 60 day window, more FPs for FoP opened up and we were able to grab them, so we wouldn’t be in the mess that was the FoP standby line. We got there around 7:15 but we were let in by 7:30. There were hundreds of people of people in front of us heading toward FoP, but when the crowds broke off and we went left to NRJ there were exactly 6 people in front of us.

We were in the first group of boats to get dispatched that day. It was really hard to take pictures of this ride, and it was over so fast.

I was totally not a fan. The things are pretty to look at, but there is practically no storyline and it’s over in a blink of an eye. Other than taking the boys on it when we go back, I have no desire to ride this again. The Shaman AA was pretty impressive, but not enough to warrant the waits for this ride. Give me Pirates over this any day.

After it’s a small moon (stole that from Andy) we walked around the land a bit. Honestly again I was let down.

People talked about this land like it was just the best thing ever, and it’s barely anything. For example Diagon Alley has only one ride, but you could spend an hour plus exploring the “land”. Exploring Pandora took less than five minutes. I mean it is beautiful, but so is a lot of AK IMHO. I also think it was the case of when something is so overhyped no matter how good it is, it will have a hard time living up to it.

After our disappointing trip to Pandora, we made our way past the huge line for FoP that extended all the way to the bridge to Africa. We made it to Africa right around 8, the official start time of EMH. The entire land was deserted until you got closer to Tusker House. It was so fun to feel like we had the park to ourselves and I took full advantage of the perfect lightening and empty land to take lots of pictures.

We made our way to the Safari, hoping for some of the early morning luck we had gotten on our last trip.

While we didn’t have the best luck with the animals, we had the best driver ever. He was so into the script and the entire truck played along. In the part where the bridge breaks everyone was so into it and clapped at the end and laughed at his jokes. It was so fun.

We still had lots of time left for more EMH fun.

Last edited:
After what seemed like a short nap
Because it was...

I like the shirts!

There were hundreds of people of people in front of us heading toward FoP, but when the crowds broke off and we went left to NRJ there were exactly 6 people in front of us.
It is crazy isn't it?

I was totally not a fan. The things are pretty to look at, but there is practically no storyline and it’s over in a blink of an eye. Other than taking the boys on it when we go back, I have no desire to ride this again. The Shaman AA was pretty impressive, but not enough to warrant the waits for this ride. Give me Pirates over this any day.
As someone who felt prejudiced against this land due to my dislike of the movie, I tried to maintain a more open attitude. I totally agree with your take on it though. I'll say that I don't mind this ride and I'd ride it again, but only from the standpoint that it is a dark ride that the whole family can do and, well, there's just nothing else like that in AK. But I'm personally not comping at the bit to ride it over and over and over, for sure.

But if I could actually sit down and float around on a boat for longer than 45 seconds (so it seems) I'd probably like it a lot more regardless of the lack of story and over hyped animatronic.

After it’s a small moon (stole that from Andy) we walked around the land a bit.
:thumbsup2

People talked about this land like it was just the best thing ever, and it’s barely anything. For example Diagon Alley has only one ride, but you could spend an hour plus exploring the “land”. Exploring Pandora took less than five minutes. I mean it is beautiful, but so is a lot of AK IMHO. I also think it was the case of when something is so overhyped no matter how good it is, it will have a hard time living up to it.
Again... I actively tried to keep an open mind. But I wasn't blown away. You're right, it is a beautiful land, but it is mostly real/fake vegetation and not really places and experiences we've seen in the movie that we can visit like Harry Potter. I hadn't really thought of it from that angle, but you make a really good point!

I'm sorry it didn't do much for you! I enjoyed it, but I have to kind of agree with you at the same time. It was a short ride, and nothing really happens. I'd ride it again if I didn't have to wait in a long line, but I'd never wait for it!

Exploring Pandora took less than five minutes. I mean it is beautiful, but so is a lot of AK IMHO. I also think it was the case of when something is so overhyped no matter how good it is, it will have a hard time living up to it.

Again, I think I had a better experience than you did, but I still have to kind of agree with this. I knew it probably wouldn't live up to the hype, but I still found myself kinda disappointed with the whole thing. It was cool, but it didn't rock my world or give me goosebumps or anything. I also feel that it's not really any more exciting to me than the rest of AK, which has such awesome theming anyway.

While we didn’t have the best luck with the animals, we had the best driver ever. He was so into the script and the entire truck played along. In the part where the bridge breaks everyone was so into it and clapped at the end and laughed at his jokes. It was so fun.

Yay! I love this! The safari is one of my favourite things in WDW, and sometimes you get a driver who's just phoning it in and it changes the experience so much. Sounds like your safari was so fun!

I'm actually really nervous to visit Pandora. I've never liked the idea, and I just don't want to be disappointed! I also want to walk through the real queue of FoP, but don't want to wait in line!

My SO and I argue every time we travel. He is an antsy traveler and I'm much more laid back and we end up clashing. Once we get to our destination and out of the airport he becomes normal again and all is well. So I felt your pain. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!