But why?

stevechase

WDW 2012
hi all, never thought I would be posting on here, but I just have a quick point. Why do Disney feel the need to give G&L a special day or week or whatever it is, surely you just go to Disney full stop regardless of what you like / dislike. I am surprised that it is allowed in this politically correct world we live in today. How come there is no Black day or White week?

Just curious, no, you know what I mean!

Cheers

Steve

Disney does not - and has never - organized a special day or week for gay people.

Ah, I see. Sorry for the missunderstanding, I wasnt having a go, I was just puzzled by the singling out.

NJ, home of Bon Jovi.

Have a great weekend

Steve

I can elaborate a bit, I think.

From the Gay Day site's official FAQ:
Who started Gay Day and why?

Once upon a time, before the Internet was on everyone's lips (and in everyone's home), and before computers were as affordable as microwave ovens, there was a group of people in Orlando that regularly chatted amongst each other on a computer bulleting board system (BBS) called Compu-Who (a victim of the Internet's proliferation, now defunct). This group got into the habit of gathering together regularly in real life for fun events, such as trips to the park, casual bowling, and nights out in clubs. It was for fun. No political statements. No protests. Nothing but unadulterated Disney fun. Once it was decided that we should go to The Magic Kingdom together, we worked out a date that seemed to be convenient to everyone interested, and it was pretty far in advance for our usual planning habits. As is true with most every group, there's a core group of people that do the leg work in organizing something... not everyone has the time or energy to spend doing such things.

Does Disney sponsor Gay Day?

No. Disney is an "innocent victim" of circumstance. They managed to create an excellent vacation resort that appeals to almost everybody in the world, and gay and lesbian folks are no different. Because they get so much attention from all factions over Gay Day, Disney actually goes out of their way not to do things that are perceived as catering towards Gay Day. This is unlike any other time of the year when Disney will actively market towards specific, targeted groups to increase their attendance at Disney properties. If Disney really didn't do anything different during Gay Day than they do any other time of the year, they would advertise to the Gay and Lesbian market and they would actively seek to book entertainment appealing to the gay and lesbian crowds. Gay Day is now the busiest time of year at Disney, and the highest revenue producing time of year as well for Disney's parks and attractions.
In other words, if you feel like getting together a bunch of people from whatever demographic to enjoy Disneyland together, go right ahead. If it turns out to be tons of fun, though, be prepared for it to snowball like crazy.

Gay Days are not sponsored by Disney. This was the 16th year for GDs at WDW. Think of it as a gathering of people with common likes at a vacaton destination.

stevechase said:
How come there is no Black day or White week?

While they do not host a Black or a Caucasian Day, they do host Night of Joy a series of events sponsored by Disney for Christian music fans.

/carmi

They host cheerleaders, grads (for grad night) football players (pop warner ball) the Joyner Family renunion, marathons...

Disney hosts any number of events. Gay Days is not one of them.

And during the Night of Joy is when I hear they really have problems with the guests in the park-- used to work at Disney and I had to travel in a small world boat that whole night just to keep the lovely Night of Joy attendees from being naughty in the boats.

Friend of mine who is a CM there says the call it The Night of H*ll. The CMs spend half their time ushering drunks out of the park. Said that they smuggle the booze in and it's not fun dealing with the guests who drink too much.

hamlet35_2000 said:
And during the Night of Joy is when I hear they really have problems with the guests in the park-- used to work at Disney and I had to travel in a small world boat that whole night just to keep the lovely Night of Joy attendees from being naughty in the boats.

I went to Night of Joy, and I will never go back. It was just DH and myself, and I was expecting a nice evening of Christian music and riding some rides. It was actually our very first night EVER at WDW. I was so dsappointed. The majority of the people there were youth groups from all over the place. And while I'm sure individually, those kids were nice, in a large group, teenagers can tend to act a bit stupid. There was no parental supervision at all! And, sadly, I think a lot of those youth groups are probably outreach groups and the kids they have that they are trying to "save" definitely need it.

It was awesome to see Michael W. Smith, but I'd never go again.

And if I had only known that there was an opportunity to make out on It's A Small World.... Dang, I missed that one.

Didn't they stop the whole Christian night thing? I seem to remember that was what got all the Christians in an uproar about boycotting Disney. Mistakenly thinking that "Disney sponsors Gay Days and canned the Christian night" or some such thing.

We actually are Christians but my husband worked for Disney (accounting department in Burbank) during this whole deal and we didnt' understand what all the fuss was about. We knew Disney never sponsored Gay days, etc....

*sigh*

Dawn

I had a women come in my office today and argue with me that Disney closes the parks for Gay Days and only lets in Gays and Lesbians. :sad2: Then she huffed off because I wouldn't agree with her.

Oh, never mind....I looked it up. The boycott was over several things but I think it was sparked by the ABC programming with gay shows. We just didn't pay much attention.

Thanks. I never went to Night of Joy.

Dawn

Chuck S said:
Night of Joy is still an annual "event" at WDW.

Ugh, we were riding outthe black outs in southern FLA after Hurricane Jean (or maybe it was Francis) by hanging out a WDW, when we accidently encountered the NIght of Joy. We were having a lovely day at MK with no crowds when all of a sudden the park became filled with pushy, loud, ill-mannered teenagers with youth group t-shirts on. Later we found out it was the "Night of Joy." :rolleyes:

nuke said:
I had a women come in my office today and argue with me that Disney closes the parks for Gay Days and only lets in Gays and Lesbians. :sad2: Then she huffed off because I wouldn't agree with her.

What would their test be to prove you are gay? :confused3

:p

njchris said:
What would their test be to prove you are gay? :confused3

:p
I'd never pass. "Oh, honey, not with those shoes you aren't. Sorry."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter