buying a small contract

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
we are thinking of buying a very small contract--either BC or BLT to go along with out home poly resort of which we only have a

small 100 point which almost gets us almost a week with borrowing but well get to point were well by out of points to borrow

how best to do this--we bought poly direct with a Aug UY so should we buy with the same UY or doesnt it matter

thinking of resale to hopefully save some money--since we have direct with poly-so we get the direct benefits even if using resale points am i right

also we tried staying at the BC this year but it was gone at 7 months so am I right that we could us our small BC points to book there at 11 months since it would be our second home resort

one last big question is this walking deal Ive been reading --how exactly does this work

thinking of possibly trying this route since BC is less points then poly

please I need simply to follow step by step directions

for example we always go the end of Jan--when would I be able to start walking--this is for next year (2021)

hopefully well be ahead of the 50th anniversary happenings

with walking though do I need to tie up points

so say for next year I have a total of 90 points do I start by booking the first day of when we want to go--but that will tie up one nights points correct--

so if for some reason we cant get all the nights at BC will I be able to trasnfer the points used for walking BC and go to another resrot

thanks Im sorry for so many questions but Im still new at this and not good with computers

First, a different UY, is a different membership. Can’t combine points together for a single night without a transfer. So, id search for same UY.

Yes, buying BCV points would allow you to use those at 11 months. At 7 months you would then be able to use Poly points 5ere if there is still availability.

In terms of walking, it means you book your reservation starting at a date earlier than you really want and then move it forward until you get dates.

Honestly, at the end of January, I don’t think there would be many rooms that need walking.

Do yourself a favor and only look at contracts with an August use year. You really don't want a 2nd account. While you could make a case to keep it Poly again, I'd use the opportunity to try and get an alternate resort (like BCV) that gives you an additional choice at 11 months.

While you could use a 2nd account with a different UY to add additional waitlists, it isn't worth the overhead to me. I want to have everything in one account.

If you're after a small resale contract, you will need to act fast. They are usually gone as soon as they are listed. I would recommend a full price offer if you see one to avoid a bartering process where you could lose it.

... as for walking reservations, I don't really like that loophole. While it is an allowed activity, it still feels like cheating to me. That's just my opinion though. Other people feel differently.

100 points isn't that small (it's the 25-75 that go really fast!). When I was looking for <50 points, I used the Timeshare Store (as I have in the past), and got on their email list. Also, they tweet out listings at certain times of the week. That helped a lot!

we are thinking of buying a very small contract--either BC or BLT to go along with out home poly resort of which we only have a

small 100 point which almost gets us almost a week with borrowing but well get to point were well by out of points to borrow

how best to do this--we bought poly direct with a Aug UY so should we buy with the same UY or doesnt it matter

thinking of resale to hopefully save some money--since we have direct with poly-so we get the direct benefits even if using resale points am i right

also we tried staying at the BC this year but it was gone at 7 months so am I right that we could us our small BC points to book there at 11 months since it would be our second home resort

one last big question is this walking deal Ive been reading --how exactly does this work

thinking of possibly trying this route since BC is less points then poly

please I need simply to follow step by step directions

for example we always go the end of Jan--when would I be able to start walking--this is for next year (2021)

hopefully well be ahead of the 50th anniversary happenings

with walking though do I need to tie up points

so say for next year I have a total of 90 points do I start by booking the first day of when we want to go--but that will tie up one nights points correct--

so if for some reason we cant get all the nights at BC will I be able to trasnfer the points used for walking BC and go to another resrot

thanks Im sorry for so many questions but Im still new at this and not good with computers

If you’re thinking about a 25-50 point add-on, you really should get on an email list with one or more brokers. You can also give specific resorts/points you’re looking for to a broker and some will contact you directly with a match. I would strongly encourage buying resale, with the same use year as you currently own. Yes, you will keep your direct-membership privileges & you can save a lot of money!

Any resort you own at will give you 11-month priority booking at THAT resort with THOSE points. You cannot combine other resort points for 11-month booking. You can, however, combine points at the 7-month mark for booking at ANY resort (as long as those points share the same use year).

Walking, as pointed out, is making an actual reservation. It definitely requires points to be used! Outside of your use year, and your willingness to constantly move your reservation along, there are no restrictions on it. With the number of points you’re talking, and the dates of travel, I don’t see much point personally. Most people walk their entire reservation (there is absolutely NO advantage to walking just one day)... but you have to be prepared for point differences (like weekdays vs weekends) as you walk, and if you borrow points you must use them within that use year.

As with any reservation, you can switch resorts (at 7- months) to any resort (with availability) and use the same points. You do this my clicking “modify” on your current reservation. That way, you don’t risk losing your current reservation AND you don’t have to borrow extra points for a new booking. You simply exchange (only adjusting points if one reservation requires more than the other does). I would never recommend relying solely on 7-month resort availability when you know you want to visit 11 months out... always have a backup reservation at your home resort for your entire stay and attempt to modify later.

I hope that answers your questions! Good luck!!

We're only bought direct. For our 3rd (2012) and 4th (2019) contract we did reach out to a broker but the response was so slow we ended up purchasing direct again. I've read many resale threads and for contracts of 50 points or less buying direct is cost effective. That said, we bought a 30 point at BC at 2.25/pt which is very expensive IMO but it did come in our UY, 2019 ans 2020 points, pro-rated dues and a purchase fee of $198 (no broker fee, title search, etc.).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter