Buying DVC and using mass transit

thunderjones

Earning My Ears
I'm looking and thinking about buying in (once this bubble dies down), but I have some questions. I'm obviously trying to weigh value vs. location.

OKW looks like an apartment complex to me with all that parking. When we visit, we like to fly in, use ME, and use Disney transportation. I don't use a car and don't want to be around parking lots. Does OKW feel this way? What about SSR?

Thoughts?

I've never had an issue at either resort. I prefer SSR (because of the option to walk to DTD) and the busses tend to run very frequently. 99% of the time we do not rent a car and rely solely on Disney transportation.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

some people like the townhouse-type DVC resorts like OKW and SSR...others want a more hotel-like experience and prefer AKV or BWV.

the downside of the hotel-type resorts are that you are parking farther away (if you have your own car) and might be down the end of a long hallway.

at OKW, i park outside my villa and i'm there. but once i'm there, typically i'll let disney do most of the driving around to the parks and such...

Only 3 buildings at OKW have elevators. Just something to consider if you are carrying things up to your villa. That may mean more to you than mass transit.

Bobbi:)

I'm looking and thinking about buying in (once this bubble dies down), but I have some questions. I'm obviously trying to weigh value vs. location.

OKW looks like an apartment complex to me with all that parking. When we visit, we like to fly in, use ME, and use Disney transportation. I don't use a car and don't want to be around parking lots. Does OKW feel this way? What about SSR?

Thoughts?

Since you apparently are in no rush to purchase, it might be worth your time to reserve a stay at OKW/SSR or at least visit the resorts so you can experience the parking and bus situations personally.

Good luck with your decision! :)

We don't call them apartment complexes. We describe them as condo style resorts vs. hotel style resorts. If you prefer a hotel style resort, you may not like OKW and ssr.

Since you apparently are in no rush to purchase, it might be worth your time to reserve a stay at OKW/SSR or at least visit the resorts so you can experience the parking and bus situations personally.

Good luck with your decision! :)

exactly that :)
and you might even not realize your (and your family's) preferences until you actually stay in a resort. we really thought we would prefer the more "condo" feel (which is wonderful, and very relaxing), but found that having the option of a short stroll to activities and parks suited us more. i also hate seeing/smelling cars from our room, so the BWVs suited us best (we also own at SSR and BCV - both beautiful, but BWV has our hearts:lovestruc).

remember also, that you can often book a resort other than the one you own at, at 7 months prior. OKW and SSR are the largest WDW DVC resorts, and are usually the easiest to book 7 months for a studio thru 2 bdrm.
you would likely have difficulty booking as a non-owner for certain resorts, villas, and/or times of year (e.g., BWV/BCV during F&W, BLT, AKV value villas, most grand villas, etc).

if you can't visit the resorts, look at pix/videos online, and note the amenities of each - see what fits you and your family:)

OKW feel less like a condo to me than SSR. We had OKW 2nd floor unit 1 bldg away from bus stop. Cars lots are very small at OKW and rooms do not look out onto the cars, but rather out back to golf course, canal, etc.. However, if you go during rainy season--you could have a short walk from bus to your unit and if you are upstairs--the stairs are outside (and can be slippery). Our 2 favs are OKW and AKV--totally different vacation experience. WE really enjoy to boardwalk area of OKW and went over each AM to get coffee (even though we had a coffee maker in room) and people watch.

All you are talking about is the advantage of parking your car outside your building that you staying in verses parking in a far away parking lott and walking to the unit your are staying in . I love OKW and am staying their again this august for this very reason .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter