Buying for a big family

BlueRibbon

Mouseketeer
For the longest time, I've felt that DVC just wasn't worth it in financial terms. With maintenance fees, initial buy-in, and frequency of stay, I could always just pay out of pocket. We are planning a stay in Feb book ending a Disney Cruise. With the new 2019 WDW rates coming out in June, I immediately changed my tune.

We have a family of 7, and must get two rooms wherever we go. We've paid for Port Orleans French Quarter out of season, and it was quite affordable. However, for this upcoming trip, we're paying $180/night for the All Stars! For two rooms that's over $400 night with taxes.

When I saw what I was going to be paying, I dusted off my old DVC spreadsheet I'd played with trying to convince myself it'd be worth it. I almost felt like Kramer and Newman from Seinfeld playing the Michigan recycling scheme. This time, it finally made sense!

For Father's Day, I asked my wife to come with me to Downtown Disney in Anaheim for a DVC preview. After reading through these threads, I felt I had enough ammunition to get all my questions answered and possibly buy direct for a resort I was willing to buy from.

The guide informed us that they were only selling Copper Creek and Aulani. When I mentioned that I would not be interested in purchasing either one, she shrugged her shoulders and said she couldn't help me. I started mentioning the resale market, and she acted like it didn't exist! After pressing a few more times hoping for her to acknowledge the wait list, she wouldn't budge, and came close to saying that unless I wanted to purchase Aulani or Copper Creek, I was just wasting time being there. I finally agreed that I was wasting my time, and we left.

Admittedly, even if the guide had said "Yes! What resort do you want?" we would have been split. My wife and I both like the Polynesian, but were disappointed that they don't have two bedroom villas, which, with 5 kids, we'll need. We also like the Contemporary and the looks of Bay Lake Tower. Don't get me wrong, if we get to stay at Polynesian, I'll be as happy as a clam.

We finally decided on Bay Lake Tower and made an offer, which is now in ROFR(hopefully for not much longer!)

My question to everyone out there: With families of 6 or larger, what's the best way to stay at WDW? Up until now, we've always done the connecting room thing, but are excited to try a much larger room.

Glad you bailed on that guide. I feel lucky that the one I spoke with immediately respected my lack of interest in CCV, acknowledged the resale market, and worked with me to build a hybrid contract.

As for your family size a 2BR unit makes the most sense. BLT and Kidani at AKV are both great for this, as their units offer 3 bathrooms in their 2 BR units (please correct me if I'm wrong here, writing that one from memory). The 2BRs are nice because they include a full kitchen and washer and dryer in the unit. Quite the upgrade over two rooms at a moderate in my opinion.

Poly is the only DVC resort with connecting studios. I believe they are currently technically only a "request" just like the mods and values but nearly all of the studios connect to another, so it's a pretty likely request to be filled. I realize you say you're buying BLT, but since it sounds like you're interested in Poly as well..... staying there is not out of the question for a large family either!

You should have worked on your spread sheet some more. Since you are buying BLT, you may be limited on what will be available at 7 months.

:earsboy: Bill

After reading many people's experiences, I can see how getting reservations at the 7 month mark can be tough. However, that attribute would be rather difficult to quantify as an input to a spreadsheet.:)

I think the point was that for a February 2019 trip, by the time you close, you will be i, the 7 mo window, so buying points "for" that trip in particular wouldn't have been a great bet. (ie, you don't have home resort advantage anywhere.) That said, you have future years to consider as well.

All is not lost, however - depending on when you are planning to go, there *should* still be lake view available at BLT, and 2BR at several other resorts. Just don't expect your choice of room/category, and you may need to use the wait list a bit.

After reading many people's experiences, I can see how getting reservations at the 7 month mark can be tough. However, that attribute would be rather difficult to quantify as an input to a spreadsheet.:)

I'm assuming based on the size of your family that working around the school schedule is important. While it will cost you more in points, going during the summer opens up more possibilities for you than trying to get in at 7 months during Fall Frenzy.

Hope you enjoy your purchase.

The guide informed us that they were only selling Copper Creek and Aulani.

Was it an actual guide, though? If you were at a Dvc kiosk in dtd it was likely just an appt setter. They aren’t going to be the go-to person for questions.

I started mentioning the resale market, and she acted like it didn't exist!

Of course they aren’t going to acknowledge it. :)

You can get a 2 BR consistently for around the same price as the 2 moderate rooms roughly. Nicer resorts and the full kitchen. If you'll go consistently, can pay cash, can plan at least 7 months out (better 11) and are OK with the compromises and commitment of a timeshare, I'd look at resale. SSR will be the best value and give you a similar experience or better than you're accustomed to.

Hopefully you'll be able to use your resale points at OKW in February. It's a great resort, really large villas and it has the sleeper chair in the living room (so it has beds for nine). Plus the second bedroom always has two queen beds, never a sleeper sofa.

I'm hoping I can use the points too. But even if I can't, I still have All Star reservations. I'll be able to use the points on a future trip that I can plan a bit further in advance!

Reactions: STA
I'm assuming based on the size of your family that working around the school schedule is important. While it will cost you more in points, going during the summer opens up more possibilities for you than trying to get in at 7 months during Fall Frenzy.

Believe it or not, when growing up, to save money, my parents took my brother and I out of school for trips. I've done the same with my kids. I've always been surprised with the blowback from teachers and other parents, but I always justify it like this: "Ten years from now, are you going to remember the trip, or the 5 days of school?"

It's worked well up until now, but as the oldest kids are in high school, they'd really like to go during summer, so we may start planning for that time. Too hot and rainy if you ask me, but I'll still go!

Hope you enjoy your purchase.
Was it an actual guide, though? If you were at a Dvc kiosk in dtd it was likely just an appt setter. They aren’t going to be the go-to person for questions.

Thanks! Yep, it was an actual guide. We were in the big Orange building in a nice big room and she was explaining all that DVC had to offer.

I think you are so smart to make an offer on BLT! Both the one and two bedrooms have an extra bathroom, which makes it an ideal choice for extended family. We just bought there, and are so happy with our purchase! Walking to the MK is also a plus. It is so much better than two bedrooms in a hotel...any level. This is the BEST way to enjoy WDW...no question. :welcome:

I think you are so smart to make an offer on BLT! Both the one and two bedrooms have an extra bathroom, which makes it an ideal choice for extended family. We just bought there, and are so happy with our purchase! Walking to the MK is also a plus. It is so much better than two bedrooms in a hotel...any level. This is the BEST way to enjoy WDW...no question. :welcome:

Fully agreed here. Renting one of their "tiny" studios convinced me I cannot go back to visiting Disney any other way. I am afraid to try out the 1 BRs there because I know I will then never want to go back to a studio.

Fully agreed here. Renting one of their "tiny" studios convinced me I cannot go back to visiting Disney any other way. I am afraid to try out the 1 BRs there because I know I will then never want to go back to a studio.

Embrace your fear... book the 1 BR... you will not regret it :-)

My question to everyone out there: With families of 6 or larger, what's the best way to stay at WDW? Up until now, we've always done the connecting room thing, but are excited to try a much larger room.

First, fingers crossed that your contract makes it through ROFR! I am a DVC newbie, but I think you’ll be able to secure a 2BR. As someone else said, you may have to waitlist and be flexible with where you stay.

As for your question quoted above, I think Disney’s options for families of 5+ are pitiful and/or ridiculously expensive. When we did not own DVC and my oldest DS was still in high school, it was always off-site, and I think many families of 5+ do the same. With that many people, you need some extra space, especially on an extended stay. Universal/Loews, on the other hand, announced they are building two new resorts specifically with families in mind:

Set to begin opening in the summer of 2019, the hotels will consist of a combined 2,800 guestrooms, including 1,450 two-bedroom suites designed to accommodate families of all sizes. Both options will be value-driven, with nightly rates starting below Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort and Universal’s Aventura Hotel, which is scheduled to open in the summer of 2018.

But, I’m sure Disney doesn’t want to harm it’s DVC cash cow by offering something similar.

Despite how bitter I sound, we pulled the trigger and purchased a resale contract, and I am so glad we did! Now, I don’t have to worry about where we will fit, and I can even invite others to go with us. I love the flexibility and have taken two small trips (not with the entire family) at somewhat the last minute. So, in my opinion, if you are a family of 5+, plan on many WDW trips, and can financially afford it, DVC is a very good option. Lots of luck!

First, fingers crossed that your contract makes it through ROFR! I am a DVC newbie, but I think you’ll be able to secure a 2BR. As someone else said, you may have to waitlist and be flexible with where you stay.

As for your question quoted above, I think Disney’s options for families of 5+ are pitiful and/or ridiculously expensive. When we did not own DVC and my oldest DS was still in high school, it was always off-site, and I think many families of 5+ do the same. With that many people, you need some extra space, especially on an extended stay. Universal/Loews, on the other hand, announced they are building two new resorts specifically with families in mind:

Set to begin opening in the summer of 2019, the hotels will consist of a combined 2,800 guestrooms, including 1,450 two-bedroom suites designed to accommodate families of all sizes. Both options will be value-driven, with nightly rates starting below Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort and Universal’s Aventura Hotel, which is scheduled to open in the summer of 2018.

But, I’m sure Disney doesn’t want to harm it’s DVC cash cow by offering something similar.

Despite how bitter I sound, we pulled the trigger and purchased a resale contract, and I am so glad we did! Now, I don’t have to worry about where we will fit, and I can even invite others to go with us. I love the flexibility and have taken two small trips (not with the entire family) at somewhat the last minute. So, in my opinion, if you are a family of 5+, plan on many WDW trips, and can financially afford it, DVC is a very good option. Lots of luck!

Aren't the AoA family suites designed for families of 5+?

Of course -- they seem to be low in inventory and are still relatively expensive for a value resort ($300+ per night?).

You may as well start looking for an add on now. :D(BTW, I thought you had multiple kids so you were planning on staying in 1BR at BLT anyway?)

Aren't the AoA family suites designed for families of 5+?

Of course -- they seem to be low in inventory and are still relatively expensive for a value resort ($300+ per night?).
That was immediately what I thought of too. Or 2BR at OKW, SSR or AKV value ...

Both Disney and Comcast are publicly traded corporations. Their only job is to take as much money as possible from people. If Comcast is building those rooms, it is not out of kindness. Universal sits in the middle of a bunch of land that they do not own, so they are competing directly against all of those other hotels. They have used express pass to lure people into their hotels, but the more they do that, the less value it holds for all.
Disney's FP allows them to lock people into their in park systems if they don't want to have to wait hours for a ride. Call it evil if you want, but Disney had to cash to buy Fox while Comcast didn't, so it's working for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter